Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2013, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 15,350 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I recently bought an apartment in Phoenix, AZ and only go down there for vacation. My question is would it be okay if I insured my car here in Canada then drove it down to Arizona and left it there? My insurance company covers me driving in the US and I know I can renew the insurance without having to bring in the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 12:50 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,225,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBC View Post
Hi folks,

I recently bought an apartment in Phoenix, AZ and only go down there for vacation. My question is would it be okay if I insured my car here in Canada then drove it down to Arizona and left it there? My insurance company covers me driving in the US and I know I can renew the insurance without having to bring in the car.
What province do you live in?

You would have to inform your insurance company, and most of them have a clause in the policy that your car can only be away from your Province (or city) for 6 months or so (check with them on this) as the rate they give you has to do with the statistics for your area, not somewhere else. There could very well be more car thefts and accidents in Phoenix than where you live.

I am Canadian and have a US bought car with AZ plates (you can do that with a Canadian drivers license; and most snowbirds do).

Also, cars are MUCH cheaper in AZ.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:19 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Quote:
Hi folks,

Most insurers I have had charge based on where the vehicle is garaged/operated. Things like comprehensive - the house burns down with your car in the garage, a tree falls on it, etc might cause you trouble if you were dishonest about where the car is kept. But why not just call them and ask? AZ insurance is among the lowest in the country especially for "mature" folks who do not drive to work or many miles per year.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorze...surance-rates/

Old 10-19-2013, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 15,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
What province do you live in?
BC, thanks for your answers. I'll look into this.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:31 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,680,057 times
Quote:
Hi folks,

+1 for getting quotes for insurance here in AZ - you don't need to be present to buy or renew insurance, I haven't seen my agent in several years..

Old 10-22-2013, 11:32 PM

391 posts, read 787,879 times
Sorry to tag onto someone's thread but I'm curious also.

I left my Canadian vehicle down in phoenix over summer but am coming back next week. I renewed my plates no problem (never lied about its location).

However, I'd probably rather just get AZ insurance in the future.

Is it a big deal to insure/plate a Canadian vehicle? I imagine I would need to get it safetied as we do here if we bring in a vehicle from out of province. Its a 2006 dodge van So maybe age is factor?

Old 10-23-2013, 10:24 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,225,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
Is it a big deal to insure/plate a Canadian vehicle? I imagine I would need to get it safetied as we do here if we bring in a vehicle from out of province. Its a 2006 dodge van So maybe age is factor?
To get US plates on a CAD vehicle you will need some type of visa, green card or other doc that allows you to live in the US, they don't plate CAD cars for 6 month visitors.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:30 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,219,303 times
Insurance is based off of where the car is garaged. You'll need to change that on your policy if you're leaving it in Arizona. Does your insurance company insure cars garaged (not simply driven) in the United States?

Old 10-24-2013, 09:42 AM

99 posts, read 148,784 times
Default Not a good idea

Importing your car into the US (Arizona) isn't that easy - see this link for a start How to Import Your Car Into the US

As other posters have suggested, you should purchase an AZ vehicle (at much better prices) and insure locally. Your Canadian insurance (ICBC) wouldn't be too keen to process a claim when you tell the vehicle is basically permanently left in Arizona.

We had no trouble purchasing, registering, and insuring a vehicle here in Phoenix, and we are only here 5-6 months a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area