Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 08:20 PM

517 posts, read 1,704,018 times

Advertisements

Now the evenings are becoming cooler, obviously it makes more sense to open doors and windows than rely on the AC when the house is hot. But I'm wondering whether it would be safe to leave the front door open at night and just keep the screen door locked. Is it secure enough?

What do people do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 08:36 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,109,979 times
Guitarman...being that some areas of town are safer than others, that will depend on location. I tend to close my doors and lock them at night. But, if you want answers you ought to disclose your location.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:37 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,218,212 times
I would never do that. All doors and windows on the first floor get closed and locked at night. I do leave second story bedroom windows open.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:51 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,057,787 times
free air conditioning these nights!!

some people have heavier security screen doors with dead-bolt locks...seems those would be OK to use....

each person has to assess their comfort level in deciding whether to keep only screen doors closed....neighborhood safety, home layout, security system set-up, how heavy you sleep, do you keep a weapon under your pillow.....

I'm lucky to have second story windows and doors and a layout uninviting to burglars, so I often have certain windows and doors open all night....but, wow, by morning I'm buried under my down blanket!

Old 10-20-2013, 08:53 PM

428 posts, read 5,884,429 times
I would never do that, even in a gated community. I also would never leave windows open (or blinds for that matter) in the front of the house. Only occupied bedroom windows that were accessible only from the back of the house I leave open at night.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:02 PM

517 posts, read 1,704,018 times
ok, well the consensus seems to be "no way"

I live in Chandler, and it certainly seems safe enough. But you never know. I haven't left my front door open while sleeping at night yet, and I guess I won't try it. I don't know strong those metal screen doors really are.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:02 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,220,653 times
We have heavy, decorative, security screen doors on all of our doors, such as these. The whole point of our having them is to leave our regular doors open in beautiful weather. There is no way for even a child to fit through the openings, even if the screens were cut, however someone could cut the screen and stick their arms through if they wanted to. With that in mind, we don't have things like chairs, beds, or any items of value close to those doors. The locks require keys to open from either side, so we feel perfectly safe.

If someone wanted to get in that badly, they'd have an easier time breaking a regular window than trying to get through those doors.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:29 PM

257 posts, read 684,723 times
Is it really that bad? I am used to have all windows open all day and all night. I just looked into home security systems. FRONTPOINT SECURITY is the best reviewed 1

Old 10-21-2013, 09:08 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
Sasha...you are looking at Old Town Scottsdale, lock up everything on the first floor. Guitarman...I live in Chandler and keep most windows open except the front ones on the first floor and lock all the doors at night. I guess it depends on where in Chandler you live, you can pull up crime stats for your area but the big thing is not presenting an easy target for someone to break in. Windows and doors...if someone wants something in your house...are not always a large deterrent but an open door for instance is just saying "Come on in and help yourself". A sliding glass door is probably less of an invitation since it is in your back yard and if someone is already in your backyard...they were probably intent on breaking in in the first place.

I guess the best advice is to use your own judgement and gauge your comfort level with the safety of your neighborhood.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:28 AM

2,375 posts, read 2,706,879 times
Here's the question:

If we tell you, sure, we leave our screen doors open, and then you leave the screen door open, and then you experience a burglary or a home invasion - how stupid will you feel when you tell the police, "Well, they said on an internet forum that it was okay"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area