Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 08:25 AM

14 posts, read 24,888 times

Advertisements

We're in the area and need to get into a place this weekend.

Long story short, we sold everything back in MA, bought an old RV, drove it here, been in an RV park in Scottsdale for a month, completed the sale of our RV yesterday and have cash in hand. Rent is up tomorrow (Saturday) at 11AM and we'll be staying in a hotel/motel burning through what little we have if we can't find a place!

Needs to be cat friendly (we have two) and under $700/mo. Our credit is wasted but we have cash for first/last/security. I did just get hired for a job (though seasonal) and my fiancee is working on it and has had several interviews, but obviously that doesn't count towards rental requirements.

Been looking at so... many... postings... on Craigslist our eyes hurt!

Looks like our price range is 80% likely to come with roaches. Never had to deal with bugs before haha

We have a good reference from our last landlord (where we lived 4 years) as well as other personal & professional references (like my previous employer of 9 years).

I've heard we'd have better luck with a private renter but I haven't seen any that aren't company run!

Saw these ads which sound like what we need. Are the areas OK? Google Maps only does so much.

Hoping someone on here can help us out and point us in the right direction!

[url]http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/apa/4188899719.html[/url] Ugly credit ok! New Remodel Condo in 4plex 2650 E Mckellips Rd

[url]http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/apa/4151802124.html[/url] Bellridge Apartments 884 East Bell Road

[url]http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/apa/4181745726.html[/url] 1 BA -Granite/Marble/Travertine 630 S Morris Circle

And what about places like this that help find apartments? Any angle to watch out for or anything like that? Any services people have had good luck with?

[url]http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/apa/4172054102.html[/url]

Old 11-15-2013, 09:04 AM

Just got off the phone with a 'box' rental place that had over 500 units.

I'm dizzy from all the fees... and very scared if this is all the norm.

720sqf 1br in Tempe.

$715/mo if we sign up a 7 month lease.

Some 80% occupancy water usage fee? She said it was around $30/mo.

Electricity would be separate in our name (sounds normal?)

$20 PER cat monthly rental fee (wat?)

$300 refundable pet fee

$300 non-refundable pet sanitation fee??

$50k required rental insurance ($10 month)

$150 move in fees (???)

$200 security deposit (refundable)

$80 application fee (non-refundable)

+ 2% tax on everything.

That brought the move in cost to nearly $1300!

Are all these fees normal??? Holy crap!!

Old 11-15-2013, 09:08 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
It will make it easier if you can get those rental references in hand. This way you can show them with your request to rent. Do you have animals? Children? If not you might be able to look into a room mate situation for the both of you to rent just a room until you get working straighten out. I'd also go down to the welfare office and get set up so you aren't on the streets. They have section 8 housing and food stamps to aid you while you get your life in order. After you get it together you can get off and find a new rental. Good luck with it all, times can get rough sometimes.

How to Get Welfare in Arizona | eHow
https://www.azdes.gov/

Old 11-15-2013, 09:19 AM

Thanks for the reply. Life sure has been challenging the past few years for us but we see the light at the end of the tunnel.

We're hoping to hear back about her employment Monday. She went on her second interview with this dental office and they seemed to really like her! Fingers crossed!

We do have two kitties so renting a room might be out.

Good idea on the welfare office though not sure how that works since I did find a job already. I'll look into that!

If we had good credit this wouldn't be so hard!

Old 11-15-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
Just got off the phone with a 'box' rental place that had over 500 units.

I'm dizzy from all the fees... and very scared if this is all the norm.

720sqf 1br in Tempe.

$715/mo if we sign up a 7 month lease.

Some 80% occupancy water usage fee? She said it was around $30/mo.

Electricity would be separate in our name (sounds normal?)

$20 PER cat monthly rental fee (wat?)

$300 refundable pet fee

$300 non-refundable pet sanitation fee??

$50k required rental insurance ($10 month)

$150 move in fees (???)

$200 security deposit (refundable)

$80 application fee (non-refundable)

+ 2% tax on everything.

That brought the move in cost to nearly $1300!

Are all these fees normal??? Holy crap!!
Yes, and actually not that bad compared.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Life sure has been challenging the past few years for us but we see the light at the end of the tunnel.

We're hoping to hear back about her employment Monday. She went on her second interview with this dental office and they seemed to really like her! Fingers crossed!

We do have two kitties so renting a room might be out.

Good idea on the welfare office though not sure how that works since I did find a job already. I'll look into that!

If we had good credit this wouldn't be so hard!
Yes, lesson learned. I think everyone has learned the credit lesson.
Welfare will help you until pay checks come in, they will also help you budget to get your credit back. Do you attend a church? Sometimes they have temp housing, and food as well as foster care for animals while you get settled.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:27 AM

469 posts, read 1,037,426 times
You said you had money for first/last/deposit; then you complained about 1300. You had an employer for 9 years and housing for 4, why did you move? Why is it every person desperate for housing has pets? Good luck with Section 8, the wait is going to be closer to 2 years, than 2 months.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeyer2013 View Post
You said you had money for first/last/deposit; then you complained about 1300. You had an employer for 9 years and housing for 4, why did you move? Why is it every person desperate for housing has pets? Good luck with Section 8, the wait is going to be closer to 2 years, than 2 months.
I agree about the pets, he might have to relocate them because housing is his first responsibility now. No time for pets really, or money for that matter.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:38 AM

Not complaining about the $1300; just a shock when the sticker price was half that.

I co-ran a local computer shop for those 9 years. Left for professional differences with the owner as he was driving it straight into the ground and I knew I could do better somewhere else.

We loved our first place back in MA. It was a mid 1800's house that we rented the upstairs (separate tenants downstairs) and we had fully remodeled it before moving in (landlord covered the costs!). Our problem was with New England and the weather. My health suffered in the winter months and neither of us ever liked the cold or snow. Also, the tenants below us moved out and a very trashy family moved in with loud dogs which kept us up all hours of the night. Rent was high (for the area) at $800 only water included. Our heat was $250, electricity was $150, and it was just the two of us and cats! Too big, too old, and too uninsulated... we couldn't afford it. Plus we had mice and squirrels in the attic which drove us nuts and scared us with the old wiring. We wanted to try the city life but costs in Massachusetts are crazy.

We never had left our home towns and yes, we rented a house a couple miles away from home. It worked with our jobs and it was a very tight knit community back where we grew up. We had both only been on one vacation in our lives when my dad had a business trip in Chandler AZ and he took the family and my fiancee. We fell in love with Arizona when we were here! Lured by the dry heat and supposed lower cost of living we sold everything we owned, bought an old RV, and made the journey to the South West.

Trip ended up costing way more than we thought and we've been living in an expensive RV park in Scottsdale (though the only one that'd accept an old RV, go figure) so our funds have burned out to zero.

We sold the RV and the guy who bought it is nice enough to allow us to stay in it til we find an apartment. We are paid up for one month's rent here in the RV park which is up tomorrow morning at 11am. After that... it's the side of the road.

We have only the cash from the RV we just sold; about $2800 total. That money is for a place and a week or two till the paychecks start coming in which will totally work... we just can't get by the credit check problem and of course her not having a job is a huge red flag. Both of us know she'll get work in her field, just a matter of time and interviews.

My first pay is next Friday though it'll be small.

And relocate our cats? That's like telling someone to leave a kid behind. Sorry, not an option.

Last edited by aaron7; 11-15-2013 at 09:56 AM..

Old 11-15-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Not complaining about the $1300; just a shock when the sticker price was half that.

I co-ran a local computer shop for those 9 years. Left for professional differences with the owner as he was driving it straight into the ground and I knew I could do better somewhere else.

We loved our first place back in MA. It was a mid 1800's house that we rented the upstairs (separate tenants downstairs) and we had fully remodeled it before moving in (landlord covered the costs!). Our problem was with New England and the weather. My health suffered in the winter months and neither of us ever liked the cold or snow. Also, the tenants below us moved out and a very trashy family moved in with loud dogs which kept us up all hours of the night. Rent was high (for the area) at $800 only water included. Our heat was $250, electricity was $150, and it was just the two of us and cats! Too big, too old, and too uninsulated... we couldn't afford it. Plus we had mice and squirrels in the attic which drove us nuts and scared us with the old wiring. We wanted to try the city life but costs in Massachusetts are crazy.

Lured by the dry heat and supposed lower cost of living we sold everything we owned, bought an old RV, and made the journey to the South West.

Trip ended up costing way more than we thought and we've been living in an expensive RV park in Scottsdale (though the only one that'd accept an old RV, go figure) so our funds have burned out to zero.

We sold the RV and the guy who bought it is nice enough to allow us to stay in it til we find an apartment. We are paid up for one month's rent here in the RV park which is up tomorrow morning at 11am. After that... it's the side of the road.

We have only the cash from the RV we just sold; about $2800 total. That money is for a place and a week or two till the paychecks start coming in which will totally work... we just can't get by the credit check problem and of course her not having a job is a huge red flag. Both of us know she'll get work in her field, just a matter of time and interviews.

My first pay is next Friday though it'll be small.

And relocate our cats? That's like telling someone to leave a kid behind. Sorry, not an option.
Well then you better hustle. Don't think living road side would be good for kids or cats. They are animals and don't view you as parents, that's a human emotion.

Sometimes we do what is best for the animal, regardless of our own feelings. I'd look into foster care for the cats at least until you get yourself a permeant home. You don't have many options here. You are risking another bad credit scar renting an apartment before you and your wife can actually afford it monthly. Best wait until she finds a job. You really need to see your options at the welfare office, they will at least give you your options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area