Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 08:57 PM

919 posts, read 3,396,095 times

Advertisements

There's a lot of debate on light rail and the quality of major bus service, but what about other options? For example, Tempe has a growing local shuttle service called Orbit, which my friends there love. Small buses wind through neighborhoods connecting them with Mill Ave, ASU, Tempe Marketplace, etc.

We tend to think about mass transit serving our work commute, which can be the biggest hike many of us take on a usual basis. For drivers, how many other trips do you take? I'm not looking to compile actual numbers (though I hope govts. are doing this) - just trying to stimulate thought on how we drive and for what. Beyond your commute, do you drive for most everything else? I don't have much of a choice - there's no retail (other than Circle Ks) within 2-3 miles. Thus it's a bit to far to walk for a trip to the grocer, major store, movie theater, or restaurants/nighlife. Getting to these via major bus lines is also a bit complicated, needing NSEW transfers, not to mention a half mile walk just to get to the major E/W streets just to get started (something my older neighbors can't easily do - nor me when it's 110).

The local shuttle concept seems more flexible in not having to adhere to the grid. One can design a route that bisects residential neighboroods connecting them with likely retail/entertainment clusters. Very often this isn't grid looking, but diagonal. Maybe it's me, but a lot of my destinations aren't a stright shot, but need a number of turns.

Botom line: Maybe most people can't/wont give up some of their longer drives. But if you can eliminate a lot of those car trips within 5 miles, wouldn't that be more appealing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 10:58 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
I don't find getting on a bus, even a small bus like Tempe's Orbit circulator, very appealing. Tempe is thinking about creating a new Orbit route that would go right past my apartment. Even then, I probably wouldn't use it. For my main commute, getting to and from ASU, I bicycle-- and I could probably get to class faster on bicycle-- going door to door, than with the Orbit bus, which doesn't exactly go straight from point A to point B and has many stops along the way, and doesn't take you right into the middle of campus. I would rather walk or bicycle open air than be in an enclosed vehicle with people coughing in my face. Also, most of the places that I need to go to on a day-to-day basis are not covered by Orbit busses, but are rather in myriad strip malls scattered around here and there. With a car, you can combine errands where you do several things in order, minimizing a separate trip for each one. Now, if gas went up to $5.00/gal, I might start thinking very differently. In that case, we'll all be riding busses.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:44 PM

919 posts, read 3,396,095 times
Thanks for the feedback. My Tempe friends like it because they need not deal with the newer DUI laws. 2 or 3 drinks can now land you in jail for 30 days. And it's also good for getting to big events, from games to festivals. Parking is also a similar consideration.

I'm not in Tempe but just a few miles North next to Papgo and I used to be able to cruise across the bridge and park on or near Mill. It's getting tougher to do so and based on future projects, it could be impossible. Towers above Monti's, towers next to the Mill, towers next to US Air, not to mention other stuff going in near the lake and downtown. I might not go near the place very often if it gets too nutty.

You seem to be close enough to bike - but what if Orbit could put you into other city centers?

Old 11-25-2007, 12:23 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times
Public transportation is progress. Embrace it.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:20 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
For work, it would take 2-3 buses and about 90 minutes. For other things, there's just not any service around to take me anywhere I need. I live a little too far out for that.

I used to take the public bus to get to HS and also during the summers when I volunteered at the hospital (before I got my license). Nowadays, the buses are kinda gross. The last time I rode a bus (just a few years ago) it smelled like urine.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:00 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,209,353 times
I find this interesting. In Cleveland where I came from, the mass transit system (buses and rail, as well as some what they called "community circulators" which may be similar to the Tempe "Orbit" if I interpret correctly, as well as "on demand" transport for the elderly or disabled) was very well developed and extensive. (Tho from what I recently read online, cost of gas etc is leading to major cutbacks in serving coming soon...) In most places within at least Cuyahoga County, you were never more than a block or 2 from a transit stop. The only real heartburn was say trying to get from the far east side of town (like Solon) to the far west side of town (say Westlake)--->could be done but involved a few transfers and many hours.

I suppose also that Cleveland is a more "compact" city rather than the massive sprawling oasis that is Phoenix area. Just on a quick Google, the city of Cleveland proper is 82 square miles in area. Phoenix is approximately 475 square miles. That is not including the "metro" areas of adjoining cities for either.

Many people in Cleveland rode the bus, especially into downtown where I worked. Parking was expensive (I would say average was $12-15 a day in most of the decent garages).

Out here I happen to be fortunate and have less than maybe a block walk to a bus stop (Princess and Scottsdale or Mayo and Scottsdale) that would take me straight to work (the building my sister called the "high rise" with its whole 10 stories next to Fashion Square). If they had not gotten me a rental car after my accident, I would have been busing if I needed to get into the office. But luckily they got me a car, so that is a pleasure I can delay. However, it is good to know the option is there. And I perhaps will give the bus a trial run one of these days.

Tho I am not at all sure about standing out waiting for a bus when it is 115'... Then again, in Cleveland, people are waiting for the bus when it is sub zero...

Old 11-25-2007, 07:08 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
30 days for a DUI? Wow, glad I'm not still in my partying years.

My area in SD has very little public transit, but since I don't like driving, especially in traffic, that would be a consideration for me. Do they have a bus system in the Sun City/Surprise areas or doesn't it go out that far?

Old 11-25-2007, 08:59 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
30 days for a DUI? Wow, glad I'm not still in my partying years.

My area in SD has very little public transit, but since I don't like driving, especially in traffic, that would be a consideration for me. Do they have a bus system in the Sun City/Surprise areas or doesn't it go out that far?
Hey, South Dakotan, I thought you were only interested in distant lands, but it seems like you might be thinking of warming up your frozen bones...

Yeah, the new DUI laws are scary.

Arizona DUI Law - Penalties, Fines and Sentencing

Extreme DUI Penalties - Arizona DUI Laws Attorney Lawyer Phoenix DUI Drunk Driving Defense Extreme Penalties In Scottsdale

Before you had to worry how in the world you'd make it to work should it happen to you. Now you may not even have a job to go back to if you don't have enough vacation time to spend in jail...

Old 11-25-2007, 11:49 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Hey, South Dakotan, I thought you were only interested in distant lands, but it seems like you might be thinking of warming up your frozen bones...

Yeah, the new DUI laws are scary.

Arizona DUI Law - Penalties, Fines and Sentencing

Extreme DUI Penalties - Arizona DUI Laws Attorney Lawyer Phoenix DUI Drunk Driving Defense Extreme Penalties In Scottsdale

Before you had to worry how in the world you'd make it to work should it happen to you. Now you may not even have a job to go back to if you don't have enough vacation time to spend in jail...
You're right~I'd better be cautious. I'm down to 9 more weeks of vacation. And yes, I'm hoping to be a bit warmer by next winter.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:28 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
For work, it would take 2-3 buses and about 90 minutes. For other things, there's just not any service around to take me anywhere I need. I live a little too far out for that.

I used to take the public bus to get to HS and also during the summers when I volunteered at the hospital (before I got my license). Nowadays, the buses are kinda gross. The last time I rode a bus (just a few years ago) it smelled like urine.

Good points and it's scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area