Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 11:50 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,370,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
The privacy fence won't stop coyotes. But you've been through the drill already with your dog, so you know how vigilant you need to be.
Yeah, I figured as much, but a high privacy fence is better than just being out in the open, KWIM?

I've been out there with the animals every time, even if it is at 2 AM with a flashlight because a dog has to potty. I sweep the backyard (small) with a flashlight before I let them out there blind, too.

My apt complex has several friendly stray cats that live on the property. Community cats, I suppose, as several people seem to share in feeding them. I hope the fact that they are here in the open is an indication that there isn't a high number of predators in my immediate area, but I will still do what I can to keep them safe.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:10 PM

9,185 posts, read 16,734,776 times
I'm curious to know if the owl was just being territorial or if it poses a real threat to a 30 pound, meatball of a dog. Any owl experts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 12:20 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,202,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Lost one of our cats to an owl and another to a pack of coyotes. Keep your pets indoors at night.

All the time! Unless on a leash.

IMO, 30# is too big for an GH Owl to fly off with, that is Golden Eagle size prey.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:22 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,608,851 times
I think if it tried to pick up a dog of that weight, it might well drop it... which could injure the dog not just from the talons, but from the fall.

Years ago, my sister was living on acreage out in Peoria. She was out before dawn feeding the horses and heard a commotion from the chickens who roosted in the mulberry tree just outside her back yard. She ran over to see what was going on and found a GHO standing on one of her chickens. She spooked it, and it flew to the nearby fence, while the chicken ran off. The owl flew away. She never saw another one.

Last edited by observer53; 12-09-2013 at 11:08 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 12:24 PM

10,074 posts, read 18,206,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Lost one of our cats to an owl and another to a pack of coyotes. Keep your pets indoors at night.
Or ALWAYS. If you know there are predators out there why would you let your kitties out at all?!!

Old 12-09-2013, 12:28 PM

50,674 posts, read 47,508,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I'm curious to know if the owl was just being territorial or if it poses a real threat to a 30 pound, meatball of a dog. Any owl experts?
This! They are competing with other predators. No different than Crows mobbing an owl. An owl usually won't risk getting hurt but if it was hunting that area it was probably teed off and wanted the dog out of there chop chop so it can go back to hunting.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:29 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,608,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Or ALWAYS. If you know there are predators out there why would you let your kitties out at all?!!

Please let's not turn this into a thread about outdoor cats generally, which involves more than just safety from predators. That's another topic for another forum.

Last edited by observer53; 12-09-2013 at 01:22 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 02:25 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,888,140 times
According to rural sister in law only small cats are in danger from owls. She says the bigger cats can generally fend them off with little damage. She would sit up all night when an owl was working her barn cats. Big shotgun and a flashlight. She would lose two or three before she realized then she would stake it out for a few days.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:25 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,147,115 times
[mod cut-orphaned]
Great Horned Owls do not live in the Sonora Desert but in the Eastern United States.

Most owls weigh less than 10 lbs and would therefore be aerodynamically unable to life a 30 pound animal.

Owls, like the vast majority of creatures only attack for 2 reasons - either for food or to protect their young. In selecting food, they seek out creatures they know, without a doubt, they are superior to. Owls live on small rodents and there is absolutely no reason one would attack a 30 pound dog.

[mod cut-- rude]

Last edited by observer53; 12-09-2013 at 03:37 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 02:48 PM

9,185 posts, read 16,734,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post

Great Horned Owls do not live in the Sonora Desert but in the Eastern United States.

Most owls weigh less than 10 lbs and would therefore be aerodynamically unable to life a 30 pound animal.

Owls, like the vast majority of creatures only attack for 2 reasons - either for food or to protect their young. In selecting food, they seek out creatures they know, without a doubt, they are superior to. Owls live on small rodents and there is absolutely no reason one would attack a 30 pound dog.
LOL!!! I guess the AZ Game and Fish Department is wrong?

Arizona Game and Fish

Quote:
...great horned owls are common residents in Tucson, Phoenix and other urban areas of Arizona.
Maybe the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum has their facts wrong too?

Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum

Quote:
Great Horned Owl: This owl occurs throughout the New World, except the extreme north. It is found in every habitat within our region.

Last edited by observer53; 12-09-2013 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post to reflect prior deletion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area