Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 10:28 PM

278 posts, read 547,248 times

Advertisements

Phoenix made the cut! Happy to see that my home made #1 and my second home made #5. I dont think its accurate. Both states have better pizza. Bianco is really good and fresh (dough) though.

1) Motorino (New York)
2) Frank Pepe's (New Haven, CT)
3) Regina Pizzeria (Boston)
4) flour + water (San Francisco)
5) Pizzeria Bianco (Phoenix)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 05:10 AM

102 posts, read 230,341 times
According to who? The list has to be wrong, no Chicago pizza, but CT? Hah!

Old 12-11-2013, 05:42 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,821,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacubz View Post
According to who? The list has to be wrong, no Chicago pizza, but CT? Hah!
Connecticut is known for its "Little Italy" section called Wooster Square. In it, are some of the country's best pizzerias. Pepe's is the most famous, there's also its cousin Sally's, the Spot, and the Modern which isn't in the Square but is nearby. They are home to the very thin pizzas cooked in wood-fired ovens at high temps; the pizzas are hand-thrown and somewhat circular, rather than uniformly round. They make their own sauce, use fresh mozzarella that's produced right in the New Haven area with milk from local dairies. Pizza isn't a trend in Connecticut. It's a tradition that dates back to the 1920's. Frank Pepe even worked for Apicella's bakery, which is where pretty much every supermarket in the state gets its italian breads (even today), before he started his own business making "tomato pies."

New Haven pizza is second only to New York pizza in fame and in quality. Chicago deep-dish pizza is a different category entirely. It's like comparing New Orleans crawfish jumbo to Maine lobster pie and claiming that one is better than the other.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:53 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Let's talk about the Pizzeria Blanco rating to make it Phoenix related, or it can be moved to the Food and Drink forum.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:10 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,664,859 times
Here's the link. I'm not sure how valid the pizza expert is here. Best Pizzas in the U.S. | Daily Ticker - Yahoo Finance

I always wondered if companies pay to be included in these "best of" lists.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:54 AM

9,805 posts, read 11,200,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Here's the link. I'm not sure how valid the pizza expert is here. Best Pizzas in the U.S. | Daily Ticker - Yahoo Finance

I always wondered if companies pay to be included in these "best of" lists.
Now I need to see what this Pizzeria Bianco is all about. To my little-ol' taste buds, a good Chicago style pie annihilates the best of the best NY pizza. Not even close....

Old 12-11-2013, 08:17 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,821,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Now I need to see what this Pizzeria Bianco is all about. To my little-ol' taste buds, a good Chicago style pie annihilates the best of the best NY pizza. Not even close....
Again, you're comparing apples to oranges. Chicago style deep-dish pizza is not, nor is it intended to be, comparable to thin-crust pizza. Pizzeria Bianco's pizza should be compared to other similar-style pizzas.

I checked the website for Pizzeria Bianco and there are limited pictures. What I did see, wasn't neither a thin-crust nor a deep-dish. It looked more like a flatbread-based crust, stretched and pounded on a pallet rather than thrown (thin-style) or formed into a baking dish (Chicago-style).

Can someone confirm this?

Old 12-11-2013, 08:45 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,664,859 times
Bianco is Neapolitan style.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:09 AM

9,805 posts, read 11,200,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Again, you're comparing apples to oranges. Chicago style deep-dish pizza is not, nor is it intended to be, comparable to thin-crust pizza. Pizzeria Bianco's pizza should be compared to other similar-style pizzas.
IMHO, I think a crisp sweet Gala apple is much better than any orange I have ever had. See, I just compared apples and oranges.

It's completely fair to compare two styles of pizza. My favorite NY style is great, but the best of the best Chicago style is over the top! I walked from the Palmer House hotel in Chicago one night and had a deep dish pie. The concierge said it was the "best". All I can say is my head involuntarily snapped back as my toes separated from shear delight. It was in the top 20 meals that I have ever had. Therefore to my taste buds, NY style is great while the best Chicago style is out-of-the-park incredible.

But I want to give Pizzeria Bianco's in Phoenix a try even though I know I will prefer Chicago style pizza. In my travels, Chicago restaurant meals never seem to let me down.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:17 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,662,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYorkFeinix View Post
Phoenix made the cut! Happy to see that my home made #1 and my second home made #5. I dont think its accurate. Both states have better pizza. Bianco is really good and fresh (dough) though.

1) Motorino (New York)
2) Frank Pepe's (New Haven, CT)
3) Regina Pizzeria (Boston)
4) flour + water (San Francisco)
5) Pizzeria Bianco (Phoenix)
Maybe I've been away from NYC for too long, but I think Red Devil pizza in PHX tastes similar to NYC pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area