Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 01:16 PM

30 posts, read 36,842 times

Advertisements

Hello friends, my wife and I are almost set and ready for the big move! We plan on leaving on June 9th and being in PHX on June the 11th.

We will be driving my 2013 Ford Focus ST, manual, we are going to pack just our NEEDS and buy new things when we get there.

From all the research that I have done, it seems like 90% of people prefer to drive through MO, OK, TX, NM and then AZ, personally, I appreciate nature and would like to take as much in as possible. So, the second route, IA, NE,CO,UT and then AZ, seems more of an appropriate route for my wife and I, plus this car is made for the mountains .

Would YOU personally, take this route? If yes why? If no why? Any suggestions? I have read about the lack of gas stations through Utah, and the possibility of snow at the highest peaks in the mountains, but I want more of these details.

Anything helps!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 01:30 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,348,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deasnake View Post
Hello friends, my wife and I are almost set and ready for the big move! We plan on leaving on June 9th and being in PHX on June the 11th.

We will be driving my 2013 Ford Focus ST, manual, we are going to pack just our NEEDS and buy new things when we get there.

From all the research that I have done, it seems like 90% of people prefer to drive through MO, OK, TX, NM and then AZ, personally, I appreciate nature and would like to take as much in as possible. So, the second route, IA, NE,CO,UT and then AZ, seems more of an appropriate route for my wife and I, plus this car is made for the mountains .

Would YOU personally, take this route? If yes why? If no why? Any suggestions? I have read about the lack of gas stations through Utah, and the possibility of snow at the highest peaks in the mountains, but I want more of these details.

Anything helps!

Thank you!
I went from Des Moines to KC, Witchita, south to Amarillo (stopped for the night), then on to Albq, to Phoenix. I did not go through OK City as a lot of people do, it would have added too much mileage to the trip. When all was mapped out, this was the most direct, and I moved in late November so going trough the Rockies that time of year was really not what I wanted to do.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:35 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,709,885 times
I did the MO, OK, TX, NM, AZ route and it was smooth sailing but rather boring. The one thing that surprised me is how pretty a lot of MO is. The rolling hills and dense forest caught me by surprise. After that it was pretty much nothingness. If I wanted to sight-see, I would have definitely taken a different route.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:55 PM

6,822 posts, read 5,129,865 times
If you had more time I would take the second route, as it goes through a lot of different types of country and is arguably more interesting. With only two days, though, I would personally take the most direct, and fastest route. Google maps shows only one hour difference between the two routes, which is a little hard for me to believe.

hikernut

Old 05-13-2014, 02:58 PM

890 posts, read 2,287,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deasnake View Post

Anything helps!

Thank you!
I took that way out here. It was gorgeous. I recommend taking Route 2 through the Nebraska Sandhills, just make sure you gas up in Lincoln or Broken Bow or something. I saw one gas station along the way in the middle of nowhere but there's not much until you reach Alliance.

In CO, I got off I70 at the 40 and shot up around Lake Granby, then on through Steamboat to Vernal UT. It was a pretty drive, especially the winding roads up and down the mountains when you first get on the 40, but I heard the drive up the 34 through Estes Park is nice too so you could take that and either go on to Vernal via the 40 or connect with I70 if you'd like. I think if I did it again I would go through Estes Park, get on the 70 to the 133 to the 12 through Crested Butte, then on through Gunnison to Montrose then south on the 550 (Million Dollar Hwy). Those are very scenic drives. Then once you reach Durango you can either go south into NW or west into AZ.

Utah was okay. I liked Salt Lake but the drive from there down to AZ is not very interesting. You have to get off the main road and go to the National Parks to see the really nice scenery.

Last edited by fennec2009; 05-13-2014 at 03:08 PM..

Old 05-13-2014, 03:16 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,348,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
If you had more time I would take the second route, as it goes through a lot of different types of country and is arguably more interesting. With only two days, though, I would personally take the most direct, and fastest route. Google maps shows only one hour difference between the two routes, which is a little hard for me to believe.

hikernut
The other route isn't much better, at least not the first leg. Once you have driven across Nebraska, you are never in a hurry to do that again!

Old 05-13-2014, 03:47 PM

Thank you for the feedback! We plan on leaving at 5AM on that Monday, hoping to make it to Kearney NE at least, spend the night there then drive to Flagstaff and stay there the second night and finish the trip on Wednesday. Is that too optimistic?

Old 05-13-2014, 04:07 PM

1,112 posts, read 4,010,044 times
Kearney to Flagstaff is a LONG day. Doable, but LONG. You'd probably be better off stopping in Grand Junction or Moab if that is the route you're taking.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:23 PM

That's a good idea, I think we might do that instead.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:05 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,768,565 times
If you are actually trying to drive from Wisconsin the Flagstaff in 2 days I wouldn't worry about whether or not the route was scenic. Take the quickest one. And some amphetamines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area