Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 12:22 PM

487 posts, read 748,928 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are having trouble putting our plan into action. We want to relocate to the Chandler or Gilbert, and have been traveling back and forth in recent months to both look at homes and to interview for jobs. I noticed very obviously that the "IL" on my resume had been circled by the interviewers, and I did my best to let them know that we are prepared to move out there on very short notice and get a short-term rental if need be to start a job. Still no real bites on the job front. I'm an Executive Administrative Assistant, and my husband does facilities maintenance; both skilled trades with longstanding work records, but regular workaday jobs.

We are honing in on a house in Chandler, and think we'd have a much better shot at a mortgage with our two current Illinois incomes, which would mean buying the house, then having one person quit and move out there to secure a job while the other one sticks closer to home to sell the old house (which is paid for) and keep paying the bills for the time being.

So, did you all just pull up stakes and move without jobs (scary) or do something similar to what we're trying? We've never tried to make a cross-country move like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 01:02 PM

241 posts, read 386,713 times
I think the latter would be more beneficial. Luckily I have a job that allows me to work from home so when I make the move its more about finding the right place to fit in.

Prior to my current occupation, I worked a decade in the HR world and you're very correct in realizing that they see an IL address and you will immediately fall to the bottom of the pile of candidates. In the current job market, its a liability they just don't want to, or have to deal with.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:08 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,910,840 times
We sold our home and moved without jobs or a place to live, but substantial savings. I work in healthcare, my wife in research and got zero bites while applying cross-country. we've been here three months, both secured full time jobs in our fields and found a place to live that we like. Yes, it was scary as he**, but we were determined to make it happen, and tired of waiting for the perfect scenario. I think the key to doing what we did was having money in the bank to fall back on. good luck.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:24 PM

Thanks. I think you're right. We've both had Skype and in-person interviews that went very well, and yet, here we sit in Illinois. We do have a fairly healthy amount of savings, and could get by for some time without work, although I'd like to have one working until the other found something for the medical benefits. I can retire and take my medical with me, however, the premiums go up quite high for retirees, so my original though of buying, sending hubby out to blaze the trail and find some work, and me being back here to put our house up and continue to work would probably be the best scenario.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:27 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,486,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1105 View Post
My husband and I are having trouble putting our plan into action. We want to relocate to the Chandler or Gilbert, and have been traveling back and forth in recent months to both look at homes and to interview for jobs. I noticed very obviously that the "IL" on my resume had been circled by the interviewers, and I did my best to let them know that we are prepared to move out there on very short notice and get a short-term rental if need be to start a job. Still no real bites on the job front. I'm an Executive Administrative Assistant, and my husband does facilities maintenance; both skilled trades with longstanding work records, but regular workaday jobs.

We are honing in on a house in Chandler, and think we'd have a much better shot at a mortgage with our two current Illinois incomes, which would mean buying the house, then having one person quit and move out there to secure a job while the other one sticks closer to home to sell the old house (which is paid for) and keep paying the bills for the time being.

So, did you all just pull up stakes and move without jobs (scary) or do something similar to what we're trying? We've never tried to make a cross-country move like this.
I like your plan. Go for it.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:40 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1105 View Post
Thanks. I think you're right. We've both had Skype and in-person interviews that went very well, and yet, here we sit in Illinois. We do have a fairly healthy amount of savings, and could get by for some time without work, although I'd like to have one working until the other found something for the medical benefits. I can retire and take my medical with me, however, the premiums go up quite high for retirees, so my original though of buying, sending hubby out to blaze the trail and find some work, and me being back here to put our house up and continue to work would probably be the best scenario.
Did you check insurance on the exchange? My rates for a retiree are really steep and it is much less for a policy on the exchange depending on my risk level I am willing to live with. The exchange rates in AZ are second lowest in the US. Of course, that would only work for the one of you that came out here. You'd have to insure the other in IL.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:51 PM

678 posts, read 1,065,391 times
I moved from Portland, OR to Phoenix without a job but that was back in 1999. One thing that you might want to consider doing is getting a PO Box at a place like Mailboxes Etc. that has a physical address and instead of listing PO on your resume you may want to list just the box number. But you would only want to do this if you find that you are losing out on jobs because of the IL address.

Since you have a bit of savings you could just move and concentrate on a job search when you've moved. Are there companies in your local area that have branches in Phoenix? That might also be something to consider. BTW the Chandler-Gilbert area is great!

Good luck to you.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaraz View Post
I moved from Portland, OR to Phoenix without a job but that was back in 1999. One thing that you might want to consider doing is getting a PO Box at a place like Mailboxes Etc. that has a physical address and instead of listing PO on your resume you may want to list just the box number. But you would only want to do this if you find that you are losing out on jobs because of the IL address.

Since you have a bit of savings you could just move and concentrate on a job search when you've moved. Are there companies in your local area that have branches in Phoenix? That might also be something to consider. BTW the Chandler-Gilbert area is great!

Good luck to you.
Thank you too! Unfortunately, my husband dislikes his current job, although they do have a place in Chandler, and I work for a high energy physics lab (kind of a one-of-a-kind place!). But my skills will carry over into the non-physics world too.

I think we'll have to make the move as planned. Now we have to settle on a house!

Old 01-14-2014, 03:38 PM

241 posts, read 386,713 times
your husband may hat his current job, however if I was him I'd still look to transfer down to AZ if he can. You know what they say - its always easier to find a job if you have a job.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:30 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
I moved to Arizona eight years ago without a job, when the economy here was still supposed to be booming. I lived to regret it, but I was buying in Tucson where job opportunities are far fewer than in they are in Phoenix. I still think moving without a job (even in Phoenix) is a risk, but you're in a Catch 22. You are being ignored for job opportunities because of your out-of-state address but if you come here without job it's a financial risk. That you are being ignored is not your imagination; HR departments have too many locals to pick from.

If you can afford owning two houses at once and have a marriage that can survive a long-distance separation, that might work. But keep in mind that Maricopa County is as big as Connecticut, so owning a home will limit your job opportunities re: reasonable commute time. I vote for one spouse to come here and RENT in Chandler, saving the home purchase for when you are both here and know where your jobs will be.

That said, I certainly think Chandler is as solid a choice as any for Metro Phoenix suburban living. Good access to the airport, I-10, and major state routes; close to ASU and some corporate centers (job potential); far above-average schools, home values, shopping, recreation. It also has better cultural diversity than some suburbs in Maricopa County, yet scores well on safety. To my eye, it's clean and attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area