Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 01:42 PM

848 posts, read 968,662 times

Advertisements

@maverick974, first, here in silicon valley the weather has been almost exactly the same everyday as it has been in Phoenix. I have both my home and Phoenix selected on the weather app on my phone and I go back and forth between them daily. So what it's like here right now, is what it's like in Phoenix. So basically, when we move, our winters won't change much. Granted though most of California is a little different than everywhere else.

I feel exactly the same way about heat. I can't stand being cold. I really, really, really f'ing hate being cold. I don't care about layers and blankets and all that. I know you can "only take off so much, but you can put on as many layers as you want". I'd rather be nearly naked being sweaty and miserable from the heat than bundled up with 8 layers like the kids from A Christmas Story. ANY DAY.

I think people have trouble truly grasping that everyone is different, and that it is thus possible for a person to really, actually, honestly, always be ok with the heat.

If i had to live in a place that snowed, I'd be miserable and hate my life. I would be counting down the days until moving, even if it was 5 years out. "1826 days to go..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 01:46 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,388,046 times
Woo Hoo!
Let's hope the "vortex" or whatever marketing term they give it next time - puts a little mojo in our market! That plus the Superbowl in Phoenix next year will provide a stunning comparison. [Ummmm.... so they built an arena in New Jersey with uber fancy expensive lighting systems and NO ONE THOUGHT TO PUT IN A ROOF? And some rocket scientists chose that for the SB in the dead of winter and Phoenix for the following year? Hmmmmmmm. Forevermore the comparisons between SB 2014 and SB 2015 will be fodder for everyone from sports commentators to comedians to Real Estate Agents.]

Quote:
P.S.
To those of you that said "just wait for two or three years and you won't be so positive about this place", well now I've been here for a few years and it's been awesome and it still is, at least to me.
Yep. I found city-data in 2008 because I was looking to leave PHX after 6 years. Have now been to every state in the US in all different kinds of weather. Can't find anyplace I like better than right where I am. The heat sucks. We deal with it. We leave for the coast now and again and I go back to Hawaii at least twice every summer. It works.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:28 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,647,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
@maverick974, first, here in silicon valley the weather has been almost exactly the same everyday as it has been in Phoenix. I have both my home and Phoenix selected on the weather app on my phone and I go back and forth between them daily. So what it's like here right now, is what it's like in Phoenix. So basically, when we move, our winters won't change much. Granted though most of California is a little different than everywhere else.

I feel exactly the same way about heat. I can't stand being cold. I really, really, really f'ing hate being cold. I don't care about layers and blankets and all that. I know you can "only take off so much, but you can put on as many layers as you want". I'd rather be nearly naked being sweaty and miserable from the heat than bundled up with 8 layers like the kids from A Christmas Story. ANY DAY.

I think people have trouble truly grasping that everyone is different, and that it is thus possible for a person to really, actually, honestly, always be ok with the heat.

If i had to live in a place that snowed, I'd be miserable and hate my life. I would be counting down the days until moving, even if it was 5 years out. "1826 days to go..."
I hear ya buddy. I used to bundle up so much that I'd look like the Michelin Man or the Pillsbury Dough Boy and it never seemed to do much good. I was always cold to the bone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Woo Hoo!
Let's hope the "vortex" or whatever marketing term they give it next time - puts a little mojo in our market! That plus the Superbowl in Phoenix next year will provide a stunning comparison. [Ummmm.... so they built an arena in New Jersey with uber fancy expensive lighting systems and NO ONE THOUGHT TO PUT IN A ROOF? And some rocket scientists chose that for the SB in the dead of winter and Phoenix for the following year? Hmmmmmmm. Forevermore the comparisons between SB 2014 and SB 2015 will be fodder for everyone from sports commentators to comedians to Real Estate Agents.]

Yep. I found city-data in 2008 because I was looking to leave PHX after 6 years. Have now been to every state in the US in all different kinds of weather. Can't find anyplace I like better than right where I am. The heat sucks. We deal with it. We leave for the coast now and again and I go back to Hawaii at least twice every summer. It works.

Glad you came to your senses.
In all seriousness, I can't see ever wanting to go someplace cold in my lifetime. Could I leave Arizona? I don't think I would but if for some reason, I had to, it would not be to a cold place. NEVER AGAIN. Gimme some HEAT..............

Old 01-29-2014, 06:07 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,900,720 times
And the irony is that it will be open air in NJ but AZ will probably close the stadium roof and it will be 70 degrees or something. Bone-headed, but I don't get why y'all never open your stadium roof. I think it was 64 degrees one Superbowl and the roof was closed.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:33 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,647,786 times
If the Superbowl was played here this year, we've got a cold front blowing through and it would be only about 66 and blue skies on Sunday. BRRRRRR. Ya can't blame us for closing the roof with such inclement weather. lol.

Honestly, I don't know why they would close the roof in that kind of weather but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer that for you.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:44 AM

77 posts, read 112,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I am always amazed and equally amused when I hear people from "up there" or "over there" refer to the Summers in Arizona in a negative way.

Although the Summers here are hot and often "booger hot" . . . I have personally experienced many unbearable hot and muggy days and nights during the Summer in the East, Southeast, Northeast and Upper Midwest as well as the constant overcast and rain along the Pacific Coast from the Mexican Border all the way to Canada.

There's no perfect place to live, however, I will happily take the relatively "bug free" Summers here in Arizona any time, any day over those areas where the humidity and the temperatures are off the charts and the mosquitos are the size of small cats.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH.
What we hear a lot when we tell people we plan on moving to Phoenix is "I prefer to see color." Everybody must think Phoenix is all brown. It's funny because here in NY, it has been white and gray for two months and will be for two more months, but naysayers want "color".

Old 01-31-2014, 10:56 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,927,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyf View Post
What we hear a lot when we tell people we plan on moving to Phoenix is "I prefer to see color." Everybody must think Phoenix is all brown. It's funny because here in NY, it has been white and gray for two months and will be for two more months, but naysayers want "color".
This is what you can see in Phoenix 365 days of the year:
http://budgettraveladventures.smugmu...%20trees-L.jpg

Something that can't be seen in the rest of the nation (Outside of the Pacific Coast, Desert Southwest, Gulf Coast, and South Atlantic Coast.)

Old 02-01-2014, 08:08 AM

717 posts, read 1,059,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyf View Post
Phoenix is all brown. And not just the landscape. After you've lived in Phoenix for awhile and you take a trip back east, that's when it will especially hit you.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:35 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,652,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Phoenix is all brown. And not just the landscape. After you've lived in Phoenix for awhile and you take a trip back east, that's when it will especially hit you.
Yeah, I hate all the brown golf courses, and the bright brown sky. The brown palm trees and brown flowers are particularly bothersome. You want a lack of color? Go to Michigan where it is gray 90% of the time.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:54 AM

717 posts, read 1,059,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Yeah, I hate all the brown golf courses, and the bright brown sky. The brown palm trees and brown flowers are particularly bothersome. You want a lack of color? Go to Michigan where it is gray 90% of the time.
Sadly, in winter the sky often does look brown on the horizon due to inversion. Palm trees aren't even native, and they are mostly brown with a tuft of green at the top. And while some golf courses dump unbelievable/irresponsible amounts of water on the grass to stay relatively green, the reality is that most of the grass in metro Phoenix is yellow/brown for most of the year. If I showed you a picture of Phoenix in July and a picture of Phoenix in January, you'd probably have a hard time finding any differences between the two.

I've only been to Michigan in summer, when it was green, but I'm just guessing there are multi-colored flowers and bright green buds in the spring, orange, red and yellow leaves in the fall, white snow in the winter etc. And I'm certain that the houses come in all different colors from red to green to blue to white to yellow. Personally, I'd choose Arizona over Michigan every time for a lot of different reasons, but color wouldn't be one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area