Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 10:14 PM

13 posts, read 24,160 times

Advertisements

Can someone give me some info on South Scottsdale?

Is there much crime? Can I feel safe bringing my small kids here?

Are there many gangs?

How is the job market?

Are people friendly?

Thank you for any info!

Last edited by MtnDewLover; 02-03-2014 at 10:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 11:00 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,074 times
I live in Tempe and find South Scottsdale to be a continuation of Tempe. Mostly middle class people with homes and apartment complexes built in the 1970s. South Scottsdale I consider south of Chaparral on down to McKellips. Don't let the party animals in Olde Town Scottsdale fool you. A lot of them are likely 30K a year youngsters with heavy debt struggling to pay rent in one of the apartment complexes around Camelback Rd between Scottsdale Rd and Hayden Rd.

Homes in South Scottsdale generally from $80000 low end on up to $200000. I enjoy Tempe and could easily live in South Scottsdale as well. Plenty of good mom and pop restaurants in and around Olde Town and the Fashion Square Mall area. I consider Tempe, the Fiesta District of Mesa and South Scottsdale amongst the most socially progressive areas with a lot of good mom and pop stuff without the faceless strip malls with chain restaurants more prevalent in East Valley communities further east in Mesa and Gilbert.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:13 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
I don't put the northern border of "south Scottsdale" all the way up to Chaparral. Thomas, perhaps (3 miles further south). Scottsdale is a long, narrow city if you look at it on the map, but I tend to put that middle part from Thomas up to Indian Bend in its own "central" category. So, when you ask questions about south Scottsdale, not everyone has exactly the same area in mind.

That part of Scottsdale (Thomas to the border) is middle class to lower middle class. Generally safe (no place is crime free). I don't generalize about the friendliness of people in a big area, but of course there are friendly people there. The "job market" in south Scottsdale is no different than the job market in a much wider area of metro Phoenix, unless you are needing a job that you can walk to. What kind of job are you looking for?

You were looking for something much smaller before. Have you changed your mind?

Old 02-04-2014, 09:24 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
to expand on obs53's comments....

the definition of "South Scottsdale" has evolved and can be important in some contexts.....old timers in the valley will think of South Scotts as anything south of, say, Osborn or Thomas.....traditionally, it is an older area of more modest homes.....downtown, or "Old Town" as the visitors' bureau calls it, is just that: the downtown area pretty tightly located between about Osborn and Chaparral.....the definition of North Scottsdale gets funny due to recent growth in that direction...to many, North Scotts is considered the wealthiest part of the city and is that very large area north of, say, Cactus or Thunderbird, but some feel anything north of Shea is getting north....this is the newest part of town and is very large and diverse

to complicate things, I've noticed many businesses which need to coordinate delivery areas and geography simply divide Scottsdale into north and south....due to the shape of the city boundaries, many residents who live well north of downtown end up in the "south" district (and are appropriately dismayed at being located in "South Scottsdale"!)

Old 02-04-2014, 12:59 PM

768 posts, read 1,759,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnDewLover View Post
Can someone give me some info on South Scottsdale?

Is there much crime? Can I feel safe bringing my small kids here?

Are there many gangs?

How is the job market?

Are people friendly?

Thank you for any info!
We have lived in South Scottsdale (SoSo) for seven years. There is very little crime and minimal "gang" like activity. Spray painting the occasional wall is more annoying than dangerous but the City of S-dale has a dedicated department that promptly deals with property owners complaints.

The location - how ever you slice the north/south Scottsdale boundaries - is what we love the most. Can't be beat. We can walk and bike to parks, the Zoo, DBG. All the major highways and loops are quickly and easily accessible. The airport is minutes away.

As far as friendly people - some are, some not. Just like anywhere else. As far as safety - after living in Phoenix a couple of years (Arcadia/Biltmore area) - I'll take South Scottsdale any day!

Old 02-04-2014, 02:48 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Page one in this article from Phoenix magazine will give you a little glimpse of South Scottsdale.
Best Phoenix Neighborhoods - Phoenix Magazine

I concur with magnum that when you're driving around the area it's impossible to distinguish it from Tempe. I don't live in South Scottsdale, but I've heard one detail you might want to consider if you have kids: that the area encompasses more than one school district. I don't think the term "South Scottsdale" is an official designation, so some properties might be in Scottsdale and some within the city of Phoenix and your zip code or phone exchange might not even tell the story. So if there is a home you are considering, best to check with your Realtor to know what's what about schools, taxation, etc. If that's wrong, someone who lives there please correct me.

My personal feeling of the area, just from exploring, is that it lacks the trendiness and fashion-consciousness of much of the rest of Scottsdale. But it enjoys urban amenities (access to the light rail!!) and gives off the appearance of "just folks" living their lives.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:27 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Some neighborhoods in south Scottsdale are indeed very similar to older neighborhoods in Tempe. As far as the school district, Tempe Elementary boundary, looking at its map, ends at McKellips. Scottsdale School district goes way into Phoenix in the district's southern half. http://www.scottsdalepropertyshop.co...undary-Map.pdf So, south Scottsdale residents go to Scottsdale schools. The extreme north part of Tempe, above the McKellips alignment, looks like it's in Scottsdale district.

Last edited by observer53; 02-04-2014 at 03:42 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 11:40 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I don't put the northern border of "south Scottsdale" all the way up to Chaparral. Thomas, perhaps (3 miles further south). Scottsdale is a long, narrow city if you look at it on the map, but I tend to put that middle part from Thomas up to Indian Bend in its own "central" category. So, when you ask questions about south Scottsdale, not everyone has exactly the same area in mind.
Yes, south Scottsdale would be the part south of Old Town or downtown, and that is roughly Osborn or Thomas south to the Tempe border. I think of the Old Town area as more of a central location for Scottsdale ... even though the city is long & narrow, and takes up a lot of land north of there. South Scottsdale is not the crime ridden ghetto that some people make it out to be, but it is more working class than other Scottsdale areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area