Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 11:08 AM

892 posts, read 1,506,811 times

Advertisements

Obviously, a dusty house is part of living in the desert. I get that, and accept it. But I'm finding it rather difficult to deal with in one part of the house - the hobby room that is chock full of electronics and small parts, and seems to be attracting more dust than the rest of the house.

While I'm doing doing montly cleanings, the number of small pieces and parts means it's an all afternoon thing. I've been thinking about picking up one of the air filters or ionizers to help keep things a bit cleaner, and wondering how they would work for this. I'm not looking to make it surgically clean, and I don't have allergy issues, just trying to cut down on the amount of dust that accumulates on everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 12:51 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,740,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Obviously, a dusty house is part of living in the desert. I get that, and accept it. But I'm finding it rather difficult to deal with in one part of the house - the hobby room that is chock full of electronics and small parts, and seems to be attracting more dust than the rest of the house.

While I'm doing doing montly cleanings, the number of small pieces and parts means it's an all afternoon thing. I've been thinking about picking up one of the air filters or ionizers to help keep things a bit cleaner, and wondering how they would work for this. I'm not looking to make it surgically clean, and I don't have allergy issues, just trying to cut down on the amount of dust that accumulates on everything.
You can reduce the dust level in the entire house by switching to a 4" thick pleated return-air filter - The Honeywell FC40 series is my favorite, you can get the genuine Honeywell parts for about $40, and generic versions are often in the $30 range - and they usually last me a full year (I vacuum the fuzz off the dirty side in the middle of the cooling season to extend the life).

Here's a link showing the filters - fwiw, you can buy them for less if you google a bit, be sure and verify the size of your filter before ordering...

Honeywell FC40R1029 20x30x4 Return Grille Filter Only $45

Old 02-20-2014, 03:49 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,764,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
You can reduce the dust level in the entire house by switching to a 4" thick pleated return-air filter - The Honeywell FC40 series is my favorite, you can get the genuine Honeywell parts for about $40, and generic versions are often in the $30 range - and they usually last me a full year (I vacuum the fuzz off the dirty side in the middle of the cooling season to extend the life).

Here's a link showing the filters - fwiw, you can buy them for less if you google a bit, be sure and verify the size of your filter before ordering...

Some time ago, in a different house, we installed a new HVAC unit and were told by the man doing the install that those expensive air filters were to be avoided, that they made your AC work harder, that I should go with the cheap ones and change them frequently. Has anybody heard that or was he delusional?

Old 02-20-2014, 07:20 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,740,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Some time ago, in a different house, we installed a new HVAC unit and were told by the man doing the install that those expensive air filters were to be avoided, that they made your AC work harder, that I should go with the cheap ones and change them frequently. Has anybody heard that or was he delusional?
he was talking about the 1" thick high-efficiency filters. if you dont increase the surface area of a filter, and you increase the efficiency, you create a bottleneck & cause all kinds of problems. the filters i linked to are 4" thick, so there's a massive increase in surface area. if you're comparing them to the 1" "filtrete" filters at the depot, then yes - you're better off running cheap filters & changing them monthly.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:11 AM

892 posts, read 1,506,811 times
Quote:

While that is true, I don't have a dust problem in the entire house, just that one room. Not to mention, that's only going to be effective while the AC or heater is running, which for us is only a few months out of the year.

Also, there isn't very good air circulation through that room, as the door is frequently left closed to keep the inquisitive/theiving pets out That's why I'm looking at the single room solutions.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:05 AM

51,138 posts, read 24,624,493 times
Quote:
he was talking about the 1" thick high-efficiency filters. if you dont increase the surface area of a filter, and you increase the efficiency, you create a bottleneck & cause all kinds of problems. the filters i linked to are 4" thick, so there's a massive increase in surface area. if you're comparing them to the 1" "filtrete" filters at the depot, then yes - you're better off running cheap filters & changing them monthly.
I'm not questioning which filter is better, but I don't see how having a much thicker filter increases surface area.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:08 PM

9,858 posts, read 11,256,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not questioning which filter is better, but I don't see how having a much thicker filter increases surface area.
Better filtration blocks more air. More total square inches allows for the better filtration to pass the needed airflow easier. Hence, the think Honeywell models accomplish an impressive filtration while not holding back the overall airflow exclusively because the total surface area is well over 4X more square inches.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:09 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,249,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
While I'm doing doing montly cleanings, the number of small pieces and parts means it's an all afternoon thing.
I don't know about keeping dust out, but perhaps cleaning more often than once/month would keep a better handle on it?

I can't even begin to imagine what any room in my house would look like if I only cleaned once/month.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:31 PM

51,138 posts, read 24,624,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Better filtration blocks more air. More total square inches allows for the better filtration to pass the needed airflow easier. Hence, the think Honeywell models accomplish an impressive filtration while not holding back the overall airflow exclusively because the total surface area is well over 4X more square inches.
That makes sense...but that is not the same as more "surface area".

Old 02-21-2014, 11:14 PM

44,693 posts, read 61,850,766 times
We have a portable Honeywell single room HEPA cleaner, does the job quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area