Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 12:49 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times

Advertisements

[off topic]

FWIW, I lived in Long Beach for two years and then Irvine for another two years, but I've been in the Phoenix area for two years now after a year in Plano, TX (God-awful--don't get any ideas). You have an advantage over most transplants from Southern California in that you've lived in both places, which I think will help aid your decision. Best of luck with whatever you and family decide to do.

Last edited by observer53; 05-22-2014 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 09:52 PM

8 posts, read 34,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post

FWIW, I lived in Long Beach for two years and then Irvine for another two years, but I've been in the Phoenix area for two years now after a year in Plano, TX (God-awful--don't get any ideas). You have an advantage over most transplants from Southern California in that you've lived in both places, which I think will help aid your decision. Best of luck with whatever you and family decide to do.
8to32characters-
[orphaned] Glad to hear you have spent time in OC and the Phoenix area; still finding the good outweighs the bad (Phoenix).

I go back and forth about the decision depending on the day. I spent my 20s in Phoenix and loved it (after moving from the Midwest), but after experiencing a great quality of life here in Orange County I wonder if I would feel the same way about the Phoenix area. If money were no object, I'd probably want to stay in SoCal. BUT our quality of life in many ways will improve (financially, socially, babysitters, etc.) by moving back to Scottsdale.
Thanks so much for the feedback everyone! This site is wonderful.

asufan-
You are correct on this. Thankfully, we do live in OC (I wouldn't want to live in LA).

Last edited by observer53; 05-22-2014 at 12:59 PM..

Old 03-11-2014, 10:38 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Happiness comes from within. Every individual has a different definition as to what makes him or her happy. Threads like this really offer no value. You are just seeking someone's opinion to validate your own. You know what makes you happy and you should follow that path. Basically, you want to remain in Southern California and you want someone who has lived here and SoCal to tell you to remain in SoCal. If you moved here, you would be miserable. You should remain in SoCal and make it work. If you moved to Scottsdale, you would just pine for SoCal. You like Scottsdale okay but prefer SoCal. I don't believe in settling in life. If you like SoCal, stay there. The last thing you want to do is move to Scottsdale and be one of those people on this forum who complain about the Phoenix area and regret moving here. There are plenty of people from Southern California who tire of it's negatives and want to move to Phoenix. You are clearly not one of those people so don't make yourself miserble and settle on Scottsdale.

Not to be melodramatic, but this sounds like a bad romantic comedy. You sound like the cliche woman who pines for the flawed but edgy guy (L.A.) but thinks she has to be with the sensible guy (Phoenix). In the end, they always choose the flawed guy(L.A.) So do us all a favor and don't live out the movie.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-11-2014 at 11:02 PM..

Old 03-11-2014, 10:59 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
I feel about Southern California the same way I feel about New York City. There could be few better places to live ... if you are very well to do. If you aren't, daily life can be a grind and you have to deal with unpleasantness of some type or another all the time. Of course you could have good reasons to live in either place — career, educational opportunity, family, romance, etc. — that make putting up with the difficulties worthwhile. But for day-to-day living, I prefer being full-time in a place where my modest income stretches the furthest — and gives me enough left over that I can visit the places that are exciting to me.

I've known two different people who felt that they had a magical place that was special to them and spoke to them in a way no other place did. For one it was San Francisco, for the other New Orleans. But neither one of them moved there. They understood if they settled there full-time the luster would wear off and they wouldn't have that magical get-away any more. I think there's some merit to that outlook.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:40 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Happiness comes from within. Every individual has a different definition as to what makes him or her happy. Threads like this really offer no value. You are just seeking someone's opinion to validate your own. You know what makes you happy and you should follow that path. Basically, you want to remain in Southern California and you want someone who has lived here and SoCal to tell you to remain in SoCal. If you moved here, you would be miserable. You should remain in SoCal and make it work. If you moved to Scottsdale, you would just pine for SoCal. You like Scottsdale okay but prefer SoCal. I don't believe in settling in life. If you like SoCal, stay there. The last thing you want to do is move to Scottsdale and be one of those people on this forum who complain about the Phoenix area and regret moving here. There are plenty of people from Southern California who tire of it's negatives and want to move to Phoenix. You are clearly not one of those people so don't make yourself miserble and settle on Scottsdale.

Not to be melodramatic, but this sounds like a bad romantic comedy. You sound like the cliche woman who pines for the flawed but edgy guy (L.A.) but thinks she has to be with the sensible guy (Phoenix). In the end, they always choose the flawed guy(L.A.) So do us all a favor and don't live out the movie.
Bravo! Excellent, excellent post.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:53 AM

8 posts, read 34,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

With all due respect, I think you have pegged me wrong. I'm seriously split, but my husband is like 80% pro AZ.

This a HUGE decision IMO, and I'm trying to weigh every single pro and con. It's not like we can up and move on a whim like I could when I was single, no kids, and 20 something. (Ah, the complications of marriage and family!)

We bought our current house as a "forever home," in the Villa Park school District (very highly rated), when the market was low, with an awesome interest rate. Both of us have less than a half an hour commute time currently. So we have to go through the process of selling, and start over in AZ searching for school/homes again (although I do have a leg up on this one!). -We also couldn't afford our home or neighborhood if we were buying today. So moving back? Not likely.

My husband is also giving up his company vehicle which equates to a pay cut more or less, and teachers in Arizona don't get paid with they do here; meaning I would essentially take a pay cut too. Though, the lower cost-of-living seems to offset this.

I do love Arizona and the Phoenix area (and my husband loves it for the hiking, taxes, gun laws, and political reasons) and we have a great social network there. If we are going to cash out on our equity, now is probably the time to do it. To have two houses paid free and clear in the next 15 years sounds joyous to me! BUT like I said, I want to make sure we weigh all the pros and cons before pulling the trigger. BEFORE we spend 50K in realtor fees and moving expenses.

I know several people here who moved to Arizona and moved back because they missed OC. I do want to know that other people had the opposite experience.

I'm definitely dragging my feet on this one because I want us to make the best decision long-term. So thank you for all the responses everyone, it's nice to hear both good and bad experiences! And sorry to ramble :-)

Old 03-13-2014, 12:17 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Would it be feasible to keep your OC home and rent it out? You may have to initially rent in AZ before getting a mortgage (ie show your lender proof your property is rented out before getting a mortgage). But if you don't want to lose that house and it is your belief it will be a strong investment, hold onto it.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:37 PM

336 posts, read 577,504 times
[off topic] OC is better than LA, but it's not better than Phoenix!

Last edited by observer53; 05-22-2014 at 01:00 PM..

Old 03-13-2014, 05:26 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaz View Post
I moved from LA to Scottsdale and I like it so much more here. The traffic is better, the people are nicer, everything is new or newer, and the cost of living (housing) is so much less. yes, OC is better than LA, but it's not better than Phoenix!
To each their own

I'm eyeballing Laguna Niguel, Aliso Viejo or somewhere around there for retirement, that's around where I grew up (MV). Yeah I know the house is gonna cost over 1.5mm for what I want

Old 03-14-2014, 09:20 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
To each their own

I'm eyeballing Laguna Niguel, Aliso Viejo or somewhere around there for retirement, that's around where I grew up (MV). Yeah I know the house is gonna cost over 1.5mm for what I want
For retirement! Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area