Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 06:42 AM

14 posts, read 23,552 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am moving from chicago suburbs this summer granted I find a teaching job. I am visiting for a few days over spring break. I would like to know what places to avoid and what suburbs are safe. I am a single 40 year old woman but I am very active, love heat/outdoor weather activities. Act pretty young for my age and like to be around younger people. Not into the party scene but like to be in vicinity of things to do. Know I should live by my new job but still want input of unsafe suburbs and safer more fun areas. I am allergic to dogs and noticed that most apartment complexes allow pets which is a downer for me so any suggestions for non pet apartments would be helpful as well. I was told Scottsdale was nice but snobby so input would be helpful for that. How about tempe? North Scottsdale? Glendale? Any real estate agents that could help? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 06:49 AM

14 posts, read 23,552 times
Default add on to link

I meant north phoenix. I do have some friends in the area but get different opinions on it. One friend said to totally avoid phoenix while another one said by Laveen is ok. One friend said Scottsdale was great and another said it was snobby. I am not very much into material things so that type of environment would annoy me, but I also would not want to live where I would risk getting shot. I don't want to pay anymore than 700 a month for rent. Thanks again!

Old 03-13-2014, 07:43 PM

125 posts, read 166,949 times
It REALLY depends on where you're working. There are great places to live all over, whether you want central, East Valley, etc. You don't want to live in Scottsdale if you're working in Gilbert and vice versa!

Old 03-13-2014, 08:27 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombattver View Post
It REALLY depends on where you're working. There are great places to live all over, whether you want central, East Valley, etc. You don't want to live in Scottsdale if you're working in Gilbert and vice versa!
This. But, just to address some issues, the friend who told you to totally avoid Phoenix was mistaken, and I wouldn't suggest to a single person to go live in Laveen, either. Scottsdale is not ALL "snobby". Lots of regular working class people live there. The controlling factors are going to be work location and budget. Tempe is great if it's near where you work. There are plenty of safe suburbs, and I would think you could find a place that didn't allow pets.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:29 AM

106 posts, read 222,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
This. But, just to address some issues, the friend who told you to totally avoid Phoenix was mistaken, and I wouldn't suggest to a single person to go live in Laveen, either. Scottsdale is not ALL "snobby". Lots of regular working class people live there. The controlling factors are going to be work location and budget. Tempe is great if it's near where you work. There are plenty of safe suburbs, and I would think you could find a place that didn't allow pets.
What Observer said. Most parts of Phoenix are fine. It's Laveen that I personally would avoid. If you plan on only spending $700 a month for rent, than Scottsdale is most likely out of your budget. Where ever your job is located, that's where I would be looking for apartments. You don't want to have to commute from one side of the valley to the other, much less everyday.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:51 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,080,184 times
You are allergic to dogs so you are ruling out all places that allow animals? Really?? If they aren't in your apartment, how would they affect you?

Old 03-14-2014, 01:54 PM

13 posts, read 31,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflygirl2 View Post
Hi! I am moving from chicago suburbs this summer granted I find a teaching job. I am visiting for a few days over spring break. I would like to know what places to avoid and what suburbs are safe. I am a single 40 year old woman but I am very active, love heat/outdoor weather activities. Act pretty young for my age and like to be around younger people. Not into the party scene but like to be in vicinity of things to do. Know I should live by my new job but still want input of unsafe suburbs and safer more fun areas. I am allergic to dogs and noticed that most apartment complexes allow pets which is a downer for me so any suggestions for non pet apartments would be helpful as well. I was told Scottsdale was nice but snobby so input would be helpful for that. How about tempe? North Scottsdale? Glendale? Any real estate agents that could help? Thanks in advance!
Scottsdale is snobby, and when you visit there you will get the feel that the city is filled with 30 thousandnaires.

I would not rent from an apartment community. Most accept pets. Make sure its a private owner that doesn't allow pets. Long story short, we rented somewhere, told carpet was professionally clean, turned out that was not the case, carpet infested with ticks from previous dog owner.

Quick note, Phoenix is not like Chicago. See in Chicago, you have stretches of bad neighborhoods, and you know to avoid them. However in Phoenix, bad neighborhoods are in pockets. I think you really need to call a real estate agent to give you the best advice.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:07 PM

555 posts, read 863,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyoverther View Post
What Observer said. Most parts of Phoenix are fine. It's Laveen that I personally would avoid. If you plan on only spending $700 a month for rent, than Scottsdale is most likely out of your budget. Where ever your job is located, that's where I would be looking for apartments. You don't want to have to commute from one side of the valley to the other, much less everyday.
Apartments can be had at that price in south Scottsdale fyi. Look east of hayden close to the old town area.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:50 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitternsparkles View Post
Scottsdale is snobby, and when you visit there you will get the feel that the city is filled with 30 thousandnaires.

I would not rent from an apartment community. Most accept pets. Make sure its a private owner that doesn't allow pets. Long story short, we rented somewhere, told carpet was professionally clean, turned out that was not the case, carpet infested with ticks from previous dog owner.

Quick note, Phoenix is not like Chicago. See in Chicago, you have stretches of bad neighborhoods, and you know to avoid them. However in Phoenix, bad neighborhoods are in pockets. I think you really need to call a real estate agent to give you the best advice.

Been to west Scottsdale, or south or central Scottsdale, and dealt with people who actually live there, not the ones who drove over to see and be seen at a bar or restaurant? Doesn't sound like it.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:56 PM

19,453 posts, read 27,897,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitternsparkles View Post

[rude] Very few real estate agents will help you find a rental apartment (and your price range puts you in an apartment not a house) unless maybe you are looking to buy a house.

Even if you were to find a condo that is owned by a private owner, he/she can lie about the previous tenants as easily as a property manager. And they will.

And Scottsdale being snobby is a matter of opinion. Not everyone in Scottsdale is rich, nor are they poor. Mostly, they are just normal, good people, living their lives with a Scottsdale address because they like the area. And they should. Personally, I think for a single person, South Scottsdale near Old Town is a great place to live.

Most important piece of information that the OP needs to provide for GOOD, valid information is where they will be working.

Last edited by observer53; 03-15-2014 at 08:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area