Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will this be a good thing for consumers?
yes 7 15.22%
no 39 84.78%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:07 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,946,687 times

Advertisements

Albertsons parent Cerberus buys Safeway for more than $9 billion

Albertsons parent Cerberus buys Safeway for more than $9 billion - latimes.com

I do not shop at Albertsons but I do shop at Safeway so I am not liking this because Albertsons does not double coupons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 10:18 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,177,941 times
I agree. Another blow for Phoenicians after the airline merger. I always shop Safeway for their sauces and bread. Not expecting anything good - prices will go up and/or services go down.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:21 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
I'm not sure that prices will go up (Safeway prices were already on the high side). I love my neighborhood Safeway, but I also know when it pays to shop at Fry's. A lot depends on how the Safeways will operate, since they will keep the name.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:34 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
Both stores generally don't do anything for me. Would like to see more Winco's and Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets around my neck of the woods. When I need better looking produce and meat I head over to Sprout's.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:45 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Mergers are almost always bad because they reduce competition. Years back PHX had far more stores (Remember Smittys? Lucky's) and lower prices relative to today. Like Observer said, though, Safeway is among the highest priced stores around, so it would be hard to imagine them going even higher. We have a Safeway nearby but do most of our grocery shopping at Walmart.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:03 PM

537 posts, read 1,545,489 times
I always get the best customer service at Safeway. I recently spent a year being disabled and got a lot of help from Safeway. Employees thank you by name and take you by hand to whatever you ask for help with. I currently live closest to the 7th. Ave. & Osborn store but think I will be moving to the Camelback East area and plan to use 32nd. & Camelback or the Arcadia store at 48th. and Indian School. Maybe it's the perception of higher prices that weeds out scruffier patrorns. Safeway has reliable home delivery that isn't too expensive. Safeway has the nicest produce, good meat, nice bakery and great deli. Safeway was once so big that they had their own fishing ships. I hope that whoever owns Albertson's doesn't wreck Safeway. I'm still hurting from the loss of Alpha Beta stores. Safeway has always been closest to Ralph's and Gelson's in LA.

There is almost always a produce person working who will insist on cutting a watermelon, casaba melon or cantaloupe for you to see and taste if you ask about the ripeness. The butcher is always happy to double tenderize a London broil if I am making Swiss steak. I have had butchers at Fry's refuse to do that because they just cleaned the tenderizing machine and they are going home.

Last edited by Desertspiritsteve; 03-10-2014 at 12:29 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 01:55 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post
I always get the best customer service at Safeway. I recently spent a year being disabled and got a lot of help from Safeway. Employees thank you by name and take you by hand to whatever you ask for help with. I currently live closest to the 7th. Ave. & Osborn store but think I will be moving to the Camelback East area and plan to use 32nd. & Camelback or the Arcadia store at 48th. and Indian School. Maybe it's the perception of higher prices that weeds out scruffier patrorns. Safeway has reliable home delivery that isn't too expensive. Safeway has the nicest produce, good meat, nice bakery and great deli. Safeway was once so big that they had their own fishing ships. I hope that whoever owns Albertson's doesn't wreck Safeway. I'm still hurting from the loss of Alpha Beta stores. Safeway has always been closest to Ralph's and Gelson's in LA.

There is almost always a produce person working who will insist on cutting a watermelon, casaba melon or cantaloupe for you to see and taste if you ask about the ripeness. The butcher is always happy to double tenderize a London broil if I am making Swiss steak. I have had butchers at Fry's refuse to do that because they just cleaned the tenderizing machine and they are going home.
I shop at the same Safeway, also rotate among Fry's, Basha's and Albertson's. (Wouldn't be caught dead in a WalMart.) They all have their shortcomings and Safeway's is the meat. They do not sell Choice beef unlike the others. Lord only knows what "Rancher's Reserve" is.

As to L.A., Ralph's is owned by Kroger (same as Fry's), and Von's is owned by Safeway (now Albertson's).

Shopping was much better when we had more choices. I miss Smitty's, also shopped Alpha Beta (later ABCO), Smith's and Lucky.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:33 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
I have all four of the regular grocery chains (Albertson's, Fry's, Bashas', and Safeway) within a mile and a half. I shop at Albertson's the least, as it's in the direction I don't normally travel any more, but it's a nice store. I try to support Bashas' with the things they do well and with their specials. Same with Safeway. Yes, their customer service is by far the best. Hope it stays that way. But Fry's stomps all over the other three on overall prices on the things I buy the most.

I miss when we had more options, too, especially local ones like Smitty's, which was the ONLY place we shopped for a very long time.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:58 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times
I hope Safeway continues with their shop online/home grocery delivery service.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:18 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I shop at the same Safeway, also rotate among Fry's, Basha's and Albertson's. (Wouldn't be caught dead in a WalMart.) They all have their shortcomings and Safeway's is the meat. They do not sell Choice beef unlike the others. Lord only knows what "Rancher's Reserve" is.

As to L.A., Ralph's is owned by Kroger (same as Fry's), and Von's is owned by Safeway (now Albertson's).

Shopping was much better when we had more choices. I miss Smitty's, also shopped Alpha Beta (later ABCO), Smith's and Lucky.
Rancher's Reserve is Safeway's own brand of beef. Just like the brand CAB (Certified Angus Beef) only refers to the brand name. But the beef itself must pass USDA inspection and the grades that Safeway uses for Rancher's Reserve are primarily High Select and Low Choice. So there ya go. The Lord and me and now you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area