Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,663 times

Advertisements

Hi me and my family are moving to Phoenix-chandler area in June..we are in our mid 20s with 2 children and We are visiting for a week at the end of March to find housing..we are moving from Wisconsin wanting to move to a warmer state..we been checking on craigslist for 3 bedroom apartments and we're wondering why thery are do much cheaper..even renting a house is cheaper..we been finding nice apartments for 800-900 ish that would cost about 1000$ if it was in Wisconsin..I'm wondering what's the catch I find renting a 3 nice house or apartment way to good to be true..I could really use the help..I'm a barber and my wife is a cosmatologist so I don't think finding work would be a problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 09:03 PM

408 posts, read 581,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando_t View Post
Hi me and my family are moving to Phoenix-chandler area in June..we are in our mid 20s with 2 children and We are visiting for a week at the end of March to find housing..we are moving from Wisconsin wanting to move to a warmer state..we been checking on craigslist for 3 bedroom apartments and we're wondering why thery are do much cheaper..even renting a house is cheaper..we been finding nice apartments for 800-900 ish that would cost about 1000$ if it was in Wisconsin..I'm wondering what's the catch I find renting a 3 nice house or apartment way to good to be true..I could really use the help..I'm a barber and my wife is a cosmatologist so I don't think finding work would be a problem
If your a barber I would think living in the city itself would be a good alternative to the suburbs more choices of shops that you can work in, unless you work from home.

What part of Wisconsin if you don't mind me asking? I'm from Milwaukee and plenty areas in the Valley are cheaper for a reason, but for the most part that average rent is probably a lot more affordable and you will get more in AZ then you would up there.

Look at Tempe as well, it has some nice apartments near baseline that are not too far from some good schools for your children. Hope this helps.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,663 times
I'm from madison..I have a few friends from high school that love in chandler and have told me great things about that section

Old 03-17-2014, 11:52 PM

125 posts, read 166,840 times
Chandler is awesome, and so is Gilbert - both East Valley, both with great schools, both really family-friendly. You can get a lot more for your money here, so don't think that those prices mean anything negative. We moved here from RI and got a much bigger house in a great school district, with a pool, for less money than our RI house. Although, in these East Valley subdivisions, the houses are large but the trade-off will be a much smaller plot of land.

We are going to have to move soon due to my husband's job transfer and, looking at houses in other areas, I realize how spoiled we are here in the East Valley. We've had a lovely 10 years here - I wish you luck and hope you find the area as enjoyable as we have!

Old 03-21-2014, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,178 times
I'm new in the east valley (San Tan Valley) and love it so far. Nice people, good value, great weather!

Old 03-22-2014, 08:59 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,949,689 times
The rents here are lower than other areas because the jobs pay less so it is a trade off.
On the bright side though many other expenses are less as well, food,insurance,clothes all cost less so you can save in those areas to help make up for lower wages.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:22 PM

82 posts, read 199,649 times
I would say that "The rents are lower than other areas because the jobs pay less so it's a trade off" is a very blanket statement. We have moved from Seattle to Nevada and now to Arizona and keep making more money along the way, so if that were true then it would be opposite. It really depends on your industries, education, experience, etc.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:53 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,949,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofraininwa View Post
I would say that "The rents are lower than other areas because the jobs pay less so it's a trade off" is a very blanket statement. We have moved from Seattle to Nevada and now to Arizona and keep making more money along the way, so if that were true then it would be opposite. It really depends on your industries, education, experience, etc.
I think that most jobs do pay less here obviously there are exceptions, but it stands to reason that if landlords could get 3000 for a rental home they would not be asking 1500 and the only thing preventing that would be the amount of people that can afford to pay the higher amount.

The reason that rents are so high in Boston, LA, Manhattan is because there are many people that can afford to pay the higher rents not just a few.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:34 AM

5 posts, read 13,833 times
I'm from Madison WI and I am also moving to Chandler this May. I've been surprised by the amount of homes I've found, the size of them and the prices. I'm very excited, and now I'm just looking for employment. Can someone breakdown what's considered the east valley and so forth? Thank you.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:57 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,446,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preese26 View Post
I'm from Madison WI and I am also moving to Chandler this May. I've been surprised by the amount of homes I've found, the size of them and the prices. I'm very excited, and now I'm just looking for employment. Can someone breakdown what's considered the east valley and so forth? Thank you.

While Scottsdale is also on the east side of the Phoenix metro area, when most people use the term "east Valley", they mean southeast... Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Apache Junction, Queen Creek, San Tan Valley.

Good luck in your job search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area