Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 09:17 PM

16 posts, read 58,315 times

Advertisements

Well, the time has come for a new roof. We have an historic 1925 bungalow home here in Phoenix and have been doing research into different shingle options (yes shingles - I know tile is popular here but it just doesn't work aesthetically with our historic house). I've been doing some research into solar reflecting shingles and wonder if anyone has any experience with them. Do they truly make a difference in terms of reflecting solar energy/heat? Could they possibly reduce home heat gain here in Phoenix - especially during the summers?

Keep in mind that we are dealing with a historic home - single pane wood windows, very little insulation in the attic (something we plan to remedy in the near future) and no insulation in the walls. So we can use all of the solar gain prevention we can get. Are solar reflective shingles actually effective? We are wondering if it is worth the extra cost to go with solar reflective shingles as opposed to conventional shingles. If anyone has experience with them I'd appreciate any input. Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 10:02 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,685,213 times
I don't have experience with "reflecting" shingles, but I would caution you to really put a pencil to any expensive "energy saving" technology. If the cost is comparable to a quality standard shingle, it's a no-brainer, but there is a lot of snake-oil for sale out there. Not saying it doesn't work at all, only that the savings will never approach the increased cost.

Just for a point of reference - adding 10" of blown cellulose to my home (and over the garage) ~roughly 1800 sq foot cost about $850 a couple years ago (that was professionally installed) - that gives you an r-value of about R30-R35~ish depending on who you believe.. and more-importantly, cellulose slows down air leaks from the house to the attic.. In the winter months, that cellulose pays back about $0 per month - in the hot months, it might save $20. The house *is* more comfortable - the A/C started kicking on later in the day, it doesn't get as hot if you leave the A/C off.. but pencil-wise, it'll take a while to get that money back. That's one of the most-effective energy upgrades out there - everything else takes longer to pay back.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:30 AM

Thanks for your input Zippyman. We are definitely being cautious and are doing our research on the shingles. I appreciate your cautionary advice.

Blown cellulose insulation is the next major home improvement item on our list. Glad to know you've noticed a positive difference.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:58 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darap View Post
Well, the time has come for a new roof. We have an historic 1925 bungalow home here in Phoenix and have been doing research into different shingle options (yes shingles - I know tile is popular here but it just doesn't work aesthetically with our historic house). I've been doing some research into solar reflecting shingles and wonder if anyone has any experience with them. Do they truly make a difference in terms of reflecting solar energy/heat? Could they possibly reduce home heat gain here in Phoenix - especially during the summers?

Keep in mind that we are dealing with a historic home - single pane wood windows, very little insulation in the attic (something we plan to remedy in the near future) and no insulation in the walls. So we can use all of the solar gain prevention we can get. Are solar reflective shingles actually effective? We are wondering if it is worth the extra cost to go with solar reflective shingles as opposed to conventional shingles. If anyone has experience with them I'd appreciate any input. Many thanks!
Have you investigated getting a grant from the city to put on a roof that is historically correct? The previous owners of our 1941 house put on a new wood shingled roof and the city paid for half of it. You probably couldn't get the type of roof that you are describing but with the money that you save you could beef up insulation, etc.

Historic Preservation Exterior Rehabilitation Assistance Program - Official Site of the City of Phoenix

Old 03-25-2014, 12:07 PM

Yes thanks, I have looked into a grant. I called the city and the deadline for grant funding for 2014 has passed. Sadly, they were unsure if any future funding would be available.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:57 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darap View Post

It isn't worth the extra money, go with standard shingles, put the extra money into insulation, sun shades and windows, particularly those facing west and south.

If you can get about R-38 of blown in cellulose into the attic, you should be pretty good to go.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:02 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
As long as we are discussing solar gain on a shingled roof, I need some advice. I am ready to reroof one large house, a guest cottage and a work shop (estimate of $15,000) My question is this: What is the difference, has anyone done research on solar gain as it relates to shingle color? I'd like to go from desert tan to a darker brown as my home(s) are a pale yellow with dark brown trim. Any ideas? thanx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: