Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 08:13 AM

335 posts, read 975,400 times

Advertisements

I'm coming to the Phoenix area next week for 3 days for a job interview in Mesa, AZ. Any recommendations for nice, safe family-oriented suburbs within that radius for me to explore if I accept that job? Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 08:18 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,443,128 times
Well, there's some nice, safe, family oriented areas within Mesa itself. Beyond Mesa, what "radius" (in terms of miles/time) are you looking for? You could also look in Gilbert or Tempe. Mesa is a large city in terms of area, so more of an idea of the location of your potential job (cross streets, not the address) would help, as well as your budget.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:20 AM

50 posts, read 79,400 times
I have lived in Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, and Mesa. Of the four, my favorite area is Tempe because you are close to everything including the 10 if you commute into Phoenix. Gilbert is very nice. I lived near Val Vista Lakes. It's very family friendly in Gilbert. Chandler is the same, but my experience living there is in the far South portion of Chandler. If you're more in the central area, it's a great area with good schools and shopping, easy access to everywhere else.
I have lived in two parts of Mesa. Central Mesa when I was in my "I'm not sure what I am thinking" phase in my very early 20's. Even there it wasn't terrible. You hear a lot of horror stories, but I never had a problem. However, in Mesa, I much, much prefer the last area that I lived- Northeast Mesa. I was very close to the Red Mountain Ranch area. I loved living there. It definitely felt family friendly. It's a little further out and more off the "beaten path" or at least it was. I moved to NY in 2005 and haven't lived in Arizona since. I am moving back in the next few months and will likely be in Ahwatukee or Tempe.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Looking for no more than a 30 minute commute at most.

Looking for a 4 or 5 bedroom, 2 to 2.5 bathroom, single
family house, at least 2600 sq. ft, newer is preferable.

Good public schools would be nice but I'm not opposed
to a good Catholic or private school.

The potential job is near the Polytechnic campus of ASU.

Last edited by knicksin8; 03-29-2014 at 10:58 AM..

Old 03-29-2014, 11:00 AM

50 posts, read 79,400 times
I feel like guiding you towards Chandler then, although a lot of places are within 30 minutes. I personally do not like a long commute at all and prefer to be as close as possible to where I work, shop, etc... Parts of Tempe could be good. but Tempe is generally more known as a "college town". I have 2 children and will likely be living in Tempe partly because of the great Kyrene schools, but I also know Tempe from having lived there before. I don't mind college town atmosphere and am getting ready to begin graduate school myself.
I'd say if you want easy access to everything, look more in central Chandler. If you like it a little quieter, maybe South Chandler.
Gilbert and much of Mesa is still within that 30 minutes too, but it also depends on the time of day and traffic. I remember many times sitting in traffic on the 60. Then your short commute turns into an hour or more.
I wouldn't necessarily go through Craigslist for the actual rental, unless it's through a company, but you might try looking on there and seeing what catches your eye for homes. I like to use Google maps to check out areas and street views as well. Great schools can help you pinpoint what the ratings generally are.
Make a list of what your priorities are and then narrow from there.
You could also consider Ahwatukee. My sister is there and it's very family oriented and close to everything as well.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:07 AM

82 posts, read 199,646 times
East Mesa is nice too. Gold Canyon is beautiful, but less kids.
Chandler, Gilbert too.
We're moving to Augusta Ranch gold course community. Love the neighborhood, good schools.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:12 PM

19,447 posts, read 27,871,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knicksin8 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Looking for no more than a 30 minute commute at most.

Looking for a 4 or 5 bedroom, 2 to 2.5 bathroom, single
family house, at least 2600 sq. ft, newer is preferable.

Good public schools would be nice but I'm not opposed
to a good Catholic or private school.

The potential job is near the Polytechnic campus of ASU.
Budget?

Old 03-29-2014, 12:19 PM

Budget is up to 500k

Old 03-29-2014, 12:38 PM

639 posts, read 972,701 times
The Polytech campus is literally on the border with Gilbert. Gilbert is a good town, safe, family friendly, and schools have traditionally been good but there is some debate with regard to what's happening there right now. You may want to look at the Higley section of Gilbert (still a Gilbert address, just a different school district within it). My daughter is in the high school but I've only heard good things about the elementary schools within Higley as well, and it will be a very short commute for you.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:01 PM

Is there a different feel for each of the following towns: Gilbert, Chandler, Mesa, Tempe and Scottsdale? If so, how would you briefly describe each town?

Or are these towns basically all similar with just different zip codes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area