Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 09:50 PM

18 posts, read 35,557 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Austyn and my family and I are going to be relocating from the rainy and gloomy Pacific Northwest (Kirkland, WA) to the hot and sunny Southwest (Surprise, AZ). I'm 26, my girlfriend is 24 and we have 27 month old twin daughters, it's just the three of us moving down. Me & my gf are going down for our first visit to Surprise in a few weeks to check out the area and find some prospects for neighborhoods and location. We know for sure that we want to be somewhere that has close access to parks and schools because the biggest reasons we want to move to Arizona is for the weather and cost of living compared to the Seattle area. My gf has lived here her whole life and I grew up in San Antonio, TX. I know that we have to get used to the heat and lifestyle difference which will be harder for her than myself. Since we have a family now and my daughters are growing up I want to live somewhere where we can be outside frequently and also be somewhere affordable...which is difficult to find up here. Anyone have any advice on certain areas or neighborhoods in Surprise to check out or areas to stay away from? We're looking to rent a home in the area somewhere between $1000-$1200 per month. Looking to make the big move in August or September! Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 11:07 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
I count four. Anyway, where will your jobs be? I ask because Surprise is on the outskirts and metro Phoenix is massive. You'll want to determine where you'll be working before you narrow in on specific locations.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:55 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,226,273 times
I count four too!

I'd be smiling too if I was moving from the PNW to AZ, anyday, however you won't be outside too much in Aug. or Sept. (possibly May June and July too), it's too stinken hot. but come fall nowhere beats it! Good luck!

Old 04-01-2014, 04:14 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,723,555 times
One place to start is CrimeMapping.com
Not an end all be all, but a good place to start.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:33 PM

Oops yeah I meant 4! Good thing I can add

Old 04-02-2014, 09:18 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,920 times
Surprise Apartments For Rent and other Surprise Rentals — Trulia.com

Try checking out some of the realtor sites or get in touch with a property management company in Surprise. There are plenty of decent little neighborhoods in Surprise and Surprise Farms is huge. I love Surprise and enjoy the community center there along with the park. They have some great art shows there. Best of luck.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:01 PM

43 posts, read 238,879 times
Sierra Montana is reasonable and has parks and a good elementary school (One of the teachers was awarded a "best state teacher award.). We pay $920 for a 4 bedroom house with a 2 car attached garage. There are a lot of walking paths and trails. No community pool. It's west of Cotton Lane, between Greenway and Waddell.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:01 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. We look forward to our visit down in a few weeks. We're actually staying at a hotel in Surprise on Bell Rd. Any particular places we should check out or see while we're there?

Old 04-02-2014, 02:05 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACazz731 View Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. We look forward to our visit down in a few weeks. We're actually staying at a hotel in Surprise on Bell Rd. Any particular places we should check out or see while we're there?
There's tons to see and do here. Not much is going to be near Surprise though. Any reason why you've zeroed in on that area?

Old 04-02-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
There's tons to see and do here. Not much is going to be near Surprise though. Any reason why you've zeroed in on that area?
Mainly because we want to be on the outskirts of Phoenix and I've read that it's a very affordable area for a young family to live in. I've read that it's a pretty safe city and more family oriented. And I generally want to be more northwest of Phoenix. And I don't really mind a commute if need be. I have options for work because I work in the auto industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area