Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 09:25 PM

10 posts, read 8,596 times

Advertisements

Hi all...

Transplanting this July to Phoenix area.

We love the looks of Higley Groves in Gilbert. We have been tracking what the commute would be for my husband, who will be commuting to Old Town Scottsdale 5 days a week. We are no strangers to commuting (we are from so cal)...just trying to get a realistic view of the commute.

Any advice appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 10:06 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,884,829 times
I dont understand what you mean when you say you like the "look" of Higley Groves. Other than a few square miles of homes right around midtown Gilbert, its all cookie cutter stucco tract homes that all pretty much look alike. So what's the difference if you move a little closer to Scottsdale? I'm sure you can find a brown stucco box to live in near Ahwatukee or along the southern Tempe/Chandler border. You might look for homes in the vicinity of Rural Rd. & Chandler Blvd. That would at least put you farther west and might cut down your husbands commute time a bit.

Since you didnt mention it I'm going to assume that your spouse will need to be in the office by 8am and therefor have to commute during rush hour in which case if I were your husband I would leave the house no later than 7:00am.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:15 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,309,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
I dont understand what you mean when you say you like the "look" of Higley Groves. Other than a few square miles of homes right around midtown Gilbert, its all cookie cutter stucco tract homes that all pretty much look alike. So what's the difference if you move a little closer to Scottsdale? I'm sure you can find a brown stucco box to live in near Ahwatukee or along the southern Tempe/Chandler border. You might look for homes in the vicinity of Rural Rd. & Chandler Blvd. That would at least put you farther west and might cut down your husbands commute time a bit.

Since you didnt mention it I'm going to assume that your spouse will need to be in the office by 8am and therefor have to commute during rush hour in which case if I were your husband I would leave the house no later than 7:00am.
I'm guessing it's because its a lot like Morrison ranch. grass everywhere, tree lined streets, front porches, sidewalks set back, white picket fences, etc. Not everything looks alike. to answer the question I'm thinking 40-50 minutes.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:35 PM

Asufan...thanks for your straightforward answer! It was very helpful!

Old 04-14-2014, 09:59 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,099,908 times
to be brutally honest, why in the heck are you looking at places so many miles away from where he'll be working?....I don't think the "look" of utterly soul-less tract homes in Gilbert will be worth spending 15-20% of your working day driving to work.....

there are so many affordable (if that's a consideration) choices so much closer to downtown Scotts that also have walkability, convenience, charm, and the "look".....

Old 04-14-2014, 11:19 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,545,327 times
The OP might want to take a look at one of the posts in this thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...what-like.html , which discusses the commute from Morrison Ranch in not favorable terms.

If I were moving from So Cal and had a bad commute there, as lots of people do, one of the things I'd be looking for in moving here is reducing my commute. JMO, of course.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:52 PM

I had worded my post carefully, because i have seen others be ridiculed for asking questions. And i am shocked that it is happening to my post.

I was just asking about a commute, and it seems some have taken pleasure in slamming an area we like and mocking us for the cookie cutter and soul-less neighborhood. My question was not "do you approve of Higley Groves?" If you want to share advice, i am open to it if it is constructive. Some of you have posted statements where you can almost see the sneer on your face as you wrote it.

Maybe we want that type of neighborhood for our special needs son. Lots of reasons we like the area...but i was just asking about a commute.

In case you can't tell, HTY383 and azdr0710, I am offended. Next time, perhaps you might choose not to respond. Perhaps you could learn from asufan and observer53's posts about appropriate responses.

Thanks for asufan and observer53 for your thoughtful and helpful responses. I will certainly check out those threads

Last edited by LoveTheAdventure; 04-14-2014 at 02:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area