Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 09:24 AM

117 posts, read 160,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
The suns had one of their most exciting seasons and they missed the playoffs. They weren't even supposed to have a decent season. The ownership purposely traded away big names to attempt to rebuild in the future and stick within "budgets"...when is the last time they went to the western conference finals? The 90s. The ownership of the cards is no better than the dbacks. There are 10+ big time players who have been traded and ended up on a Superbowl winning team.

Asu hasn't done anything remarkable in....ever.

The dbacks started the franchise strong and have fallen since.

We started a semi pro soccer league last year and the team already folded, was repurchased and rebranded in one year.

I am happy the cards are selling out. And they do continue to improve, but until we get over this hump....and our division is stacked.

I'm an az native, but I'm not delerious into thinking we have top 5 franchises in any sport and haven't on a consistant basis in years.

I don't know how many different states you've attended sporting events but the atmosphere here pales in comparison to the diehard teams and fans out there. We can build that. But it won't happen without consistent success.

This is on topic of lousy attendance
Try 2010. What big name players did they trade away? Jared Dudley and Marcin Gortat? Eric Bledsoe is better then both those 2 combined.

Ownership of Cards in getting way better since the new stadium. And please name these 10 "big time" players.

ASU has consistently been good in baseball as well as winning the Pac-12 south just last year and invited to Holiday Bowl.

The Diamondbacks shouldn't have a single fan in the stadium. Kevin Towers took a young promising cheap team in 2011 that made the playoffs with one of the best farm systems in the league and has made it into a team of over the hill overpaid veterans with hardly a farm system to speak of.

Last edited by thisismyspameamil; 04-30-2014 at 09:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 09:33 AM

640 posts, read 956,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noregrets11 View Post
We've been wanting to go to our first Dbacks game. We have young children, don't want to spend a ton of money.....and don't want our children to ruin the game for more serious attenders.....so which section should we look at? Is there a grassy area for families?
That is great to bring your kids to their first baseball game. They will love all the sights and sounds. Unless you are cheering for the visiting team, you don't have to worry about ruining the game for others. Just find seats that are within your budget and have fun! Check their website for the promotions they have running at each game, the Friday night fireworks are fun to watch, and believe it or not are a really good show(they open the roof and shoot them off from the top of the parking garage across the street). Your kids might also like to go on a bobble head night (just go early so they don't run out) as a momento from their first game. They also have some good value items on their menu, such as a $1.50 hot dog that is perfect for young kids.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:42 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Quote:
We've been wanting to go to our first Dbacks game. We have young children, don't want to spend a ton of money.....and don't want our children to ruin the game for more serious attenders.....so which section should we look at? Is there a grassy area for families?
You will have no issues taking your kids to a DBacks game. Pick a game that won't be a huge draw (like the Rockies/Padres over the Dodger/Giants). Tickets will be dirt cheap on the secondary market (Stubhub type of websites). The crowd will be laid-back and there should be plenty of space for everyone. You will most likely spend more in concessions than the actual game tickets.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:34 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:

There's no "grassy area" like there is at spring training games, as this is still basically an indoor facility, despite the retractable roof. Everyone buys a seat. The bleacher seats out in left or right field are fine, and during the week, depending on the team, should be reasonable. The upper deck is cheaper, too, but the kids won't keep any interest in the game from up there-- but the kids can play in Baxter's clubhouse if they are the right size (there's also a toddler playground) or play wiffle ball if they are up to that.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:24 PM

172 posts, read 391,807 times
Thanks for the tips!

Old 04-30-2014, 02:01 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Baseball has been struggling with attendance these past few years in most markets, has it not? I know the numbers this season so far in Detroit have been low. Bad for the Dbacks but good for me when I decide to walk down to the ballpark and catch a game. More options and cheaper seats.

Rough going so far. I know a few die hard Dbacks fans and they are hurting.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:13 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Baseball has been struggling with attendance these past few years in most markets, has it not? I know the numbers this season so far in Detroit have been low. Bad for the Dbacks but good for me when I decide to walk down to the ballpark and catch a game. More options and cheaper seats.

Rough going so far. I know a few die hard Dbacks fans and they are hurting.
Overall MLB attendance is up slightly over last year (an average of 87 more per game).

Change in Baseball Attendance 2013 to 2014 - Baseball-Reference.com

MLB attendance increased in each of the last 4 years although not reaching what was the peak in 2007.

2010-Present Ballpark Attendance Figures, Ballparks of Baseball
2000-2009 Ballpark Attendance Figures, Ballparks of Baseball

Tigers attendance is indeed down from last year but I think that can be attributed to the weather and the fact that the Yankees visited in April last year.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:24 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,109,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Is he the maroon who traded Justin Upton? FOR WHAT?!
Upton has not lit the world on fire since leaving, nor has Prado. I was a big fan of Justins when he was called up from the minors. When he left, I would have helped pack his bag. He had the potential to be great, never wanted to put the necessary work in to get there. He is a good player, no more than that. He had one good month when he went to Atlanta, has done nothing since.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:32 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,109,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
He has traded away Justin Upton, Chris Johnson, Trevor Bauer, Tyler Skaggs, David Holmberg, Ian Kennedy, Adam Eaton and Matt Davidson for what has amounted to Martin Prado, Addison Reed and a box of bats. Oh, he got Mark Trumbo too, who was hitting .210 and kicking the ball around left field before going on the DL where he will be until the All Star break.
Kevin Towers needs to be run out of town. But in tegards to the guys you named above, bauer has shown nothing. Upton is content with being good, very lazy approach to the game. He has had one good month since he left. I cant beat up on Trumbo yet, too small of a sample. He was leading baseball with HRs when he left, I must have missed him kicking the ball around. Letting Skaggs go was a huge mistake, he should be fired for that alone. I do not miss Upton, Bauer stinks and was a bad locker room guy. I do not miss those guys, but our minor league system is depleted, two years ago it was the model of baseball.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:50 PM

117 posts, read 160,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
Upton has not lit the world on fire since leaving, nor has Prado. I was a big fan of Justins when he was called up from the minors. When he left, I would have helped pack his bag. He had the potential to be great, never wanted to put the necessary work in to get there. He is a good player, no more than that. He had one good month when he went to Atlanta, has done nothing since.
Kevin Towers traded a young potential superstar for an almost 30 year old utility player and then immediately signed that older less talented player to a larger contract the young potential superstar was on. Prado has been utter ass for the majority of his time here. Diamondbacks got pennies on the dollar in the Upton trade.

AND THEN he trades 2 promising young cheap players in Eaton and Skaggs for the same type of but less talented player in Trumbo (with way worse defense) to bat behind Goldschmidt.

Kevin Towers should be chased out of town with pitchforks for the short and long term damage he has done to this team.

BTW Upton this season is .326 8hr and 18 RBI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area