Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 11:59 AM

175 posts, read 180,519 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! Officially in Arizona and loving it so far. Been here a week and just getting settled. My son comes back in a few days and I think I'm about settled enough to try and socialize/meet people around my age. I Am 24 and have no family out here aside from my 3 year old. lol there is a community center across the street from my apartments that I will be going To with my son but what else is out here? What's the best way to meet people my age? I'm not really a party person or a person at the bar at hr bar, type.

I was thinking of going to the ASU comas and meeting some undergraduates and such but idk yet. Is that a good idea since I will attending school in the fall? I've got lots of parks and such as well on my list for my son to meet other kids and play aside from his day care. I thankfully don't start working for another few weeks so I want to dedicate my free time getting to know moms and such for my son to have friends and play dates eventually and then of course I'm looking for myself to have a day out and just enjoy time with friends while he's with the nanny/day care. So what's the best ideas for my son and myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 12:11 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,139,841 times
This is a fun place for kids...especially once it gets really hot out.
Makutus Island

Check out 'Hiking with the Littles' on Facebook. It's a group (mostly moms) that's dedicated to getting outdoors with kids. My wife went this morning with our son to the Botanical Gardens. They had free passes.

Also, a lot of the public libraries have story time and have passes available for many other activities around town.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:08 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelliedfox View Post
Hi guys! Officially in Arizona and loving it so far. Been here a week and just getting settled. My son comes back in a few days and I think I'm about settled enough to try and socialize/meet people around my age. I Am 24 and have no family out here aside from my 3 year old. lol there is a community center across the street from my apartments that I will be going To with my son but what else is out here? What's the best way to meet people my age? I'm not really a party person or a person at the bar at hr bar, type.

I was thinking of going to the ASU comas and meeting some undergraduates and such but idk yet. Is that a good idea since I will attending school in the fall? I've got lots of parks and such as well on my list for my son to meet other kids and play aside from his day care. I thankfully don't start working for another few weeks so I want to dedicate my free time getting to know moms and such for my son to have friends and play dates eventually and then of course I'm looking for myself to have a day out and just enjoy time with friends while he's with the nanny/day care. So what's the best ideas for my son and myself?
Believe it or not one of the things that enhanced our social lives was to put our kids in youth sports. You're forced to meet new people (usually similar to you because they have the same aged kids) and your kid makes friends. I went to college here and already had a lot of friends so we didn't go into it looking to make friends, but it happens. I now have such a large social circle, after 5 years being in it and staying active, I can hardly go to the grocery store or out to eat without seeing someone I know.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
This is a fun place for kids...especially once it gets really hot out.
Makutus Island

Check out 'Hiking with the Littles' on Facebook. It's a group (mostly moms) that's dedicated to getting outdoors with kids. My wife went this morning with our son to the Botanical Gardens. They had free passes.

Also, a lot of the public libraries have story time and have passes available for many other activities around town.
Thats fantastic! Thank you! My son LOVES story times! And I wanted to be more outdoorsy before we get hit with the REAL heat. Thanks!

Old 04-04-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Believe it or not one of the things that enhanced our social lives was to put our kids in youth sports. You're forced to meet new people (usually similar to you because they have the same aged kids) and your kid makes friends. I went to college here and already had a lot of friends so we didn't go into it looking to make friends, but it happens. I now have such a large social circle, after 5 years being in it and staying active, I can hardly go to the grocery store or out to eat without seeing someone I know.
Thats great to hear! It's what im hoping for. Since I dont have anyone out here, itd be nice to have a circle I do plan on putting my son into sports and such, but right now, hes still a little behind (hes borderline special needs) so I dont think hed grasp sports yet. But I swear, hes going into baseball. He DEFINITELY has a darn good arm when he throws them toys. lol

Thank you again!

Old 04-04-2017, 01:43 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
Maybe check out the MOMS Clubs in your area? Lots of Mommy and Me classes out there through the city rec programs as well.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:00 PM

Thats an idea as well. How would I go about that? Just a simple, "Moms club" said area i live google search?

Old 04-04-2017, 03:40 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
My wife used to head this one up back when the kiddos were little: MOMS Club of Chandler East, Arizona ©

Old 04-04-2017, 03:56 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelliedfox View Post
Thats great to hear! It's what im hoping for. Since I dont have anyone out here, itd be nice to have a circle I do plan on putting my son into sports and such, but right now, hes still a little behind (hes borderline special needs) so I dont think hed grasp sports yet. But I swear, hes going into baseball. He DEFINITELY has a darn good arm when he throws them toys. lol

Thank you again!
City of Gilbert has some adaptive recreation classes (ok for someone with special needs)

https://www.gilbertaz.gov/department...ion/recreation

I am sure Chandler has something like that as well.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
City of Gilbert has some adaptive recreation classes (ok for someone with special needs)

https://www.gilbertaz.gov/department...ion/recreation

I am sure Chandler has something like that as well.
Oooohhh, this is awesome! I swear, I love it here! This State has already gien me so much and there is still so much more to dive into! Thank you <3

And thank you for the MOMs link, Kurt!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area