Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 08:44 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,689,322 times

Advertisements

It finally hit me today just how bad the panhandling has gotten along the freeway on and off ramps along with quite a few major intersections. I remember when there used to be a random guy here or there and at times I'd give them a few bucks but now based on seeing the same people moving around together it almost looks like they're out there working in teams and I see some of the panhandlers becoming more and more aggressive, one of the guys walked right up to a car next to me, wildly waving his arms, shaking his head at them like they had committed some grave travesty for not giving him anything.

Has it always been like this and I'm just seeing things or has it gotten steadily worse recently? I'd love to help out everyone but having someone stare you down at intersection after intersection without their hands out doesn't really put me in the giving mood. If anything its turned me off to giving money to any of the panhandlers and in lieu of that, increasing my yearly donations to CASS and St Vincent de Paul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 09:09 PM

8 posts, read 16,673 times
Yeah what gives?
It's become WAY more prominent in the last two months, I've noticed. Especially around the I-17.

I honestly think most (and I say most) of these folks aren't homeless, and are actually just lazy bums looking for handouts.
Maybe it's the cynic in me.

Either way, yeah there's a ton out now!

Old 05-19-2014, 09:10 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
I've actually seen fewer of those than I used to. I encounter one at a gas station or on the sidewalk downtown once in a while, but not as many at the off ramps.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar93 View Post
Yeah what gives?
It's become WAY more prominent in the last two months, I've noticed. Especially around the I-17.

I honestly think most (and I say most) of these folks aren't homeless, and are actually just lazy bums looking for handouts.
Maybe it's the cynic in me.

Either way, yeah there's a ton out now!

Greenway and the 17 as well as Bell and the 101 seem to continually be stacked with multiple panhandlers in either direction and either side of the freeway.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I've actually seen fewer of those than I used to. I encounter one at a gas station or on the sidewalk downtown once in a while, but not as many at the off ramps.
I don't see them much in the East Valley but mostly along the 17 and the 101 in Glendale/Peoria.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:19 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,227,084 times
There are a lot of these guys that do this for a living and make good money doing it. I quit giving to any of them after the same lady stopped me for "gas money" in the Sams Club parking lot going into the store where I gave her $10 and then she stopped me again on my way out and forgot she had already hit me up.

She gave me some sob story about running out of gas on the way to her home in the east valley from visiting a sick relative in California. Said "I just need $5-$10 to get gas to make it home". I only had a $20 and a $10 and gave her the $10.

When I came out and she got me again I said "I just gave you the $10 you asked for to get home and now you need more?" she said "oops, sorry" and walked away.

No more for me.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:32 PM

13,273 posts, read 7,321,255 times
Has been lots of news stories on youtube where local news channel follows one of them around and finds them jumping into a 2007 BMW driving to an upscale area. The pan handlers are scammers or meth heads looking to get the next hit. A friend of my wife got into meth and was doing the same thing she told us she could make about $20-30 an hour some good days all went to meth. Police have been running them off at I-17 and Peoria. Went to lunch with some co-workers I showed them some of those youtube videos one lady said she had been giving them $5-$10 a week. If I see someone with little kids I call the police standing in the middle of the intersection.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:35 PM

309 posts, read 367,429 times
There are plenty in Mesa as well... often at the stoplights at exit/entrance ramps to the 60. And in one neighborhood, I've been seeing the same young man weekly at his "post" at the entrance to a nearby shopping center.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:46 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,649,426 times
I've found them to be more prevelant lately too. You used to never see them in Scottsdale but I've seen them at the 101 and Raintree lately.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:34 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,110,703 times
I feel bad for them, if I have some dollars on me I often help them. Problem is, I often just have plastic, no currency on me. I can't make a blanket statement that they are meth heads. Teams, etc. I really do not think it out that far. I am guessing some are, some are people that had some bad luck. I help them here and there if I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area