Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 10:03 AM

23 posts, read 78,309 times

Advertisements

Interested to know.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:24 AM

674 posts, read 2,553,955 times
Everything is peachy here.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:35 AM

937 posts, read 2,834,876 times
What kind of question is this?

Old 12-13-2007, 10:47 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,455,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitExodus View Post
Interested to know.
Entire books could be written about the MLK Holiday controversy. The issue was a complex one. This is how I remember it:

1986 -- King Day was gaining momentum nationally. Governor Bruce Babbitt wanted to implement the holiday but thought it would be tough to get the conservative legislature to approve it. Instead, he used an executive order to declare a paid Monday holiday for state employees.

1988 -- Evan Mecham became governor. Based on an opinion from Attorney General Bob Corbin, he decided that Babbitt's proclamation of a paid holiday via executive order was illegal. He rescinded the paid holiday and replaced it with an unpaid one. That action, coupled with some controversial remarks by Mecham, began to generate negative publicity for Arizona.

1990 -- With Mecham no longer in office, the Legislature worked with Governor Rose Mofford to implement a paid MLK holiday. Unfortunately, the bill they passed replaced Columbus Day with King Day, angering some Italian-Americans. Enough signatures were gathered to put the holiday on hold pending a referendum. The Legislature then passed an alternative version of the holiday that consolidated Lincoln and Washington's birthdays into President's Day and added King Day. At that point, anti-King Day forces on the fringes were already mobilized, and they gathered signatures putting the second holiday on hold pending a referendum.

As a result, both versions of the King Holiday were presented to voters on the November 1990 ballot. It was a confusing situation, and the majority of voters, who supported some form of King Day, split their votes between the two competing versions. As a result, neither one received enough votes to pass, and Arizona was left in the embarrassing position of being the state known for voter rejection of King Day. Most national media attention did not make note of the voter confusion and other mitigating factors mentioned above. As a result of the negative publicity, numerous conventions and events, including the 1993 Super Bowl, were moved to locations outside Arizona.

1992 -- In an attempt to resolve the issue once and for all, Governor Symington and the Legislature presented voters with a single referendum on King Day. It passed by a wide margin, the boycotts ended, and the issue became history.

Fifteen years later, the whole issue seems quaint. Black-white racial relations are no longer the subject of much controversy here. These days, the controversy over illegal immigration is the lighting rod issue in Arizona.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:48 AM

23 posts, read 78,309 times
Default Very informative. Thankyou!

Wow..as you mentioned, there definitly was NOT national coverage of some of the details you mentioned..like the two MLK proposals to vote on. I knew nothing about that until i just read it here. Anyway, thanks a lot. That was very informative.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:49 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Interested to know.
Isn't it up to your employer's discretion...? I have it off. I'm also willing to 'put up with' any ethnic and religious holiday as long as it's a day off!

Old 12-13-2007, 04:09 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,455,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Isn't it up to your employer's discretion...? I have it off. I'm also willing to 'put up with' any ethnic and religious holiday as long as it's a day off!
Private sector employers set their own holiday schedules. Even during the late '80s / early '90s controversy, many employers honored King Day on their own despite the 1990 vote. The controversy was over a paid holiday for state employees and the symbolism of having King Day designated a holiday by the state government.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:10 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Wow..as you mentioned, there definitly was NOT national coverage of some of the details you mentioned..like the two MLK proposals to vote on. I knew nothing about that until i just read it here. Anyway, thanks a lot. That was very informative.
There was no need for national coverage

Nothing major

Old 12-13-2007, 04:12 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Private sector employers set their own holiday schedules. Even during the late '80s / early '90s controversy, many honored King Day on their own despite the 1990 vote. The controversy was over a paid holiday for state employees and the symbolism of having King Day designated a holiday by the state government.
Employers don't need to give any holidays off -

Old 12-13-2007, 04:43 PM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Let's also remember that Arizona is the ONLY state in the union that adopted a MLK day by vote of the people. I wonder how many states would have voted for it had the voters actually been given the opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area