Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:58 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Phoenix weather vs Las Vegas weather:
Climate Comparison for Las Vegas, NV and Phoenix, AZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 10:10 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Phoenix weather vs Las Vegas weather:
Climate Comparison for Las Vegas, NV and Phoenix, AZ
Neat. Watch July though. That temperature is forced down by the rise in humidity. Phoenix is actually at its worst at that point.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:35 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,471 times
I am a Las Vegas native living in Phoenix now for several years. I would advise you against moving to Las Vegas purely for differences in the weather. The difference really are not significant enough to warrant a change. Yes, Las Vegas tends to be several degrees cooler than Phoenix in June and July. However, monsoon season in Vegas is not nearly as pronounced as it is here in Phoenix, so it can actually be a few degrees hotter in Vegas than here from mid-July through early September.

Please keep in mind that it can and does get very chilly in Vegas during wintertime. Snow is not unheard of and will occur ever two or three winters and will happen multiple times in a winter some years. In the higher neighborhoods around LV (Henderson, Summerlin, and the Northwest Valley) snow does stick, sometimes not melting until the early afternoon. In 2008, parts of the LV Valley got up to 8 inches of snow and Clark County actually canceled school. That could be a huge shock coming from Phoenix. Can you imagine if 8 inches of snow fell in Phoenix? It would be a catastrophe. Temperatures in Vegas are regularly in the 40s and 50s during the day in the middle of winter with lows in the low to mid 30s. You will need a heavy sweater or coat.

Vegas in much drier than Phoenix, believe it or not. You will not have the nearly the variety of vegetation you have here. The desert is nearly bare. Vegas does not get the dust events like Phoenix, but Vegas does get much more frequent wind events, which stirs dust up and makes it hazy.

Last edited by new2colo; 06-02-2014 at 11:43 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 11:55 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,020,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I am a Las Vegas native living in Phoenix now for several years. I would advise you against moving to Las Vegas purely for differences in the weather. The difference really are not significant enough to warrant a change. Yes, Las Vegas tends to be several degrees cooler than Phoenix in June and July. However, monsoon season in Vegas is not nearly as pronounced as it is here in Phoenix, so it can actually be a few degrees hotter in Vegas than here from mid-July through early September.

Please keep in mind that it can and does get very chilly in Vegas during wintertime. Snow is not unheard of and will occur ever two or three winters and will happen multiple times in a winter some years. In the higher neighborhoods around LV (Henderson, Summerlin, and the Northwest Valley) snow does stick, sometimes not melting until the early afternoon. In 2008, parts of the LV Valley got up to 8 inches of snow and Clark County actually canceled school. That could be a huge shock coming from Phoenix. Can you imagine if 8 inches of snow fell in Phoenix? It would be a catastrophe. Temperatures in Vegas are regularly in the 40s and 50s during the day in the middle of winter with lows in the low to mid 30s. You will need a heavy sweater or coat.

Vegas in much drier than Phoenix, believe it or not. You will not have the nearly the variety of vegetation you have here. The desert is nearly bare. Vegas does not get the dust events like Phoenix, but Vegas does get much more frequent wind events, which stirs dust up and makes it hazy.
Thanks for your assessment. I think I'd like the weather in Las Vegas, nice cold winters and all. But Phoenix sure is a pretty place though. I'm fine here. I'll be OTR trucking in a week anyway, so where I live isn't all that important now anyway.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:32 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Thanks for your assessment. I think I'd like the weather in Las Vegas, nice cold winters and all. But Phoenix sure is a pretty place though. I'm fine here. I'll be OTR trucking in a week anyway, so where I live isn't all that important now anyway.
Maybe after trucking for a while you will be able to figure out the average midpoint location and then choose around there. That way you can be closest to home and hopefully the weather will be good for you.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:22 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Tucson has better weather than either Las Vegas or Phoenix.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:48 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Tucson has better weather than either Las Vegas or Phoenix.
Maybe, Maybe not. Tucson is quite damp in the summer. Appears the Monsoon limits the upper temperature limit. So it would be a matter of how wet Tucson is versus Las Vegas.

Tucson is a few degrees warmer in the winter though.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:42 PM

11 posts, read 23,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Maybe, Maybe not. Tucson is quite damp in the summer. Appears the Monsoon limits the upper temperature limit. So it would be a matter of how wet Tucson is versus Las Vegas.

Tucson is a few degrees warmer in the winter though.
As a Tucson resident I can attest that Tucson summer are muggier than Phoenix. In Tucson it feels like is is unrelenting whereas in Phoenix you get a break. Phoenix> Tucson for all seasons.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:36 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
I would agree that Tucson has a better climate than either LV or Phoenix. It's a bit muggier than Phoenix in the summer but the temp is about 8 degrees cooler thanks to the higher elevation. I like LV temps but the wind I don't like.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:06 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
IMHO - certainly understand the draw to Las Vegas especially compared to Phoenix.

The winters in LV can be cold - just like in Phoenix. And windy - just like Phoenix. Then there are the summers - both Vegas & Phoenix are hot. Vegas not as severe as Phoenix. The heat island effect has a HUGE impact on how hot it actually feels. Las Vegas (the tourist parts & the Strip/Fremont St) work real hard to make people feel comfortable - its good for business. Only you can determine how much 5-10 degrees either way is going to impact your life or livelyhood.

Then there is the rain...Las Vegas normally receives more rain than Phoenix. Las Vegas when it rains can be a lot of fun - but be warned, Las Vegas has a drainage problem (not unlike some parts of Phoenix metro and other major cities) and is prone to flooding - which flushes out the street people that live in "underground Las Vegas".

Hope this helps the original OP
Phoenix is windy? That is pretty much news to the other 4.6 million people who live here. You do realize
that Phoenix is surrounded by mountains and is in a valley. Windy places are located in the plains or right next to water. Phoenix may not have perfect weather but wind is not one of them. That's like someone criticizing Phoenix for being too overcast. It just doesn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area