Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 04:28 PM

3,826 posts, read 9,517,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
This will probably result in the closure of the Kmart at I 17 and Northern.
You want to talk about nasty, disgusting stores. Makes Wal-Mart look like a Macy's. Surprised that the K-Mart there is still open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 06:33 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,199,745 times
The Metro Center area needs population density. I heard the company spokesman speak on TV today, and he mentioned that besides Wal-Mart, they are working with a college and a charter school, and a builder of high rise apartments, among others. The location does rank high in terms of convenience, in terms of not being at the edge of the metro area. I have taken the Rapid bus downtown from the Transit Center and it has an impressive number of routes converging at this location -- it's a great transportation hub. However, the Transit Center is quite a hike from the actual mall. That would be an easy fix if they put their thinking caps on!!

Old 06-24-2014, 07:04 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,988,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Neighborhood Wally World at 67th ave. & Peoria too.

So sorry to lose the Food City at 28th DR. & Cactus....

Lost the Safeway @ 35 Ave. & Northern....Another Safeway @ 51st Ave. & Olive.....

Number one employer in Phoenix.

Yay!

Wow that Safeway closed by Chucke Cheese? I did not know that. And lol at whoever mentioned how Kmart makes Walmart look like Macys that was pretty funny. I'm surprised Kmart is still open anywhere the last one I went to was a few years back on 43rd&Indian School and that was before it shut down.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:12 PM

975 posts, read 1,410,039 times
I believe that the Safeway at 35th Ave and Northern is still open. The Safeway at 51st Ave and Olive is closing (and likely was killed by the Walmart Neighborhood Market at that same intersection).

Old 06-24-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Wow that Safeway closed by Chucke Cheese? I did not know that. And lol at whoever mentioned how Kmart makes Walmart look like Macys that was pretty funny. I'm surprised Kmart is still open anywhere the last one I went to was a few years back on 43rd&Indian School and that was before it shut down.
There was actually a quite nice Kmart store at 35th Ave and Greenway that closed about a year ago. That site would've / still would make a nice Winco site.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:50 PM

805 posts, read 2,006,874 times
So are they attempting to gentrificate the metrocenter area? i lived nearby about a decade or two ago...really started to decline in the area before I left. i work nearby now, and still do not choose to go there. I don't even go to metro as convenience on the way home.

it'd be nice to see the area cleaned up and brought back to life. I remember being a kid and enjoying castles and coasters! how fun!

Old 06-24-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
So are they attempting to gentrificate the metrocenter area? i lived nearby about a decade or two ago...really started to decline in the area before I left. i work nearby now, and still do not choose to go there. I don't even go to metro as convenience on the way home.

it'd be nice to see the area cleaned up and brought back to life. I remember being a kid and enjoying castles and coasters! how fun!
The north side (by Peoria Ave.) has pretty much already been cleaned up and redeveloped. The south side (by Dunlap) is where the work is needed. Driving down Peoria one would have no clue that they just passed a "dead mall".

Old 06-24-2014, 09:56 PM

805 posts, read 2,006,874 times
thats good news! sounds like great progress thus far!

Old 06-24-2014, 10:05 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,988,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
The north side (by Peoria Ave.) has pretty much already been cleaned up and redeveloped. The south side (by Dunlap) is where the work is needed. Driving down Peoria one would have no clue that they just passed a "dead mall".
I agree especially with the recent addition of eateries on the perimeter of the mall like Raising Canes, Buffalo Wild Wings, and Inn N Out you would think the mall would be somewhat desirable.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:02 PM

3,826 posts, read 9,517,394 times
If they could just lure back some decent stores in the strip centers around the mall it would be a good thing. There used to be a Trader Joe's and some shoe & clothing stores around the mall. Just moved from the area a few months ago and would have to drive up to Arrowhead to find some decent clothes for job interviews.

When I first moved to the Metro area over 15 years ago, the mall had not quite begun it's descent. I took my kids there for pictures with Santa, always went to the movies there, took my family dining, did the bulk of my non-grocery shopping and frequented the library often. Back in the 80's my friends and I would drive up from Tucson just to visit the mall. Have lots of fond memories from the mall.

Had some friends of mine that were retail managers in the mall. Metrocenter at one time had the highest performing store in the country for many chains. Used to be considered a prestigious thing if you could land a managerial job at Metrocenter, it meant that you ran the busiest store in the nation for places like Sears, Foot Locker and many others.

Think that part of Phoenix could really grow once more people find out about it. It is literally in the center of everything, takes about 45-60 minutes to get to whatever edge of town you want to get to. Downtown and the Biltmore area are only 20 minutes away. There is great hiking a few miles away at North Mountain/Shaw Butte and if you are into cycling you can ride along the canal that skirts Metrocenter for miles. Plus it's still possible to find solidly built houses from the 50's, 60's & 70's on big lots in non-HOA controlled subdivisions within 10 minutes of the mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area