Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 08:50 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,724 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks --
I thought this would be a good topic for a hot day.....

While browsing the CityLab
website, I came across an interesting article about the current drought. The article had some interesting water conservation methods that they are encouraging folks to use.
Here it is:The Drought-Era 'No Excuses' Guide to Conserving Water - CityLab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 11:22 PM

169 posts, read 281,231 times
I liked the advice to stop irrigating your lawn and letting it turn brown. It's not natural to have lush green grass in the middle of the desert in the Summertime. Growing plants that are not native to the desert environment also upsets the ecosystem. I have a friend who moved to Arizona years ago to help soothe his pollen allergies - the desert air was supposed to clean and pollen free. But now with everybody growing a jungle in their back yard, the pollen count has increased dramatically and his hayfever has returned.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:25 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,639,651 times
I knew this would drag the grass nazis out. I like my grass and so do my dogs. You may be happy with a rock pit for a yard, but I wouldn't be. What happened to live and let live?

Old 07-02-2014, 09:16 AM

13,247 posts, read 7,300,036 times
I like grass it cools off fast keep my home cool my drive way last night using an IR thermal temperature gun I found was 109 at 8:40pm my grass was a nice 71 degrees. My lawn is irrigated so my water bill is $100 a year.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:58 PM

487 posts, read 748,334 times
I think all that gravel and concrete is helping to create a heat sink. I like the idea of a little green as well to help cool things down. There are lots of low water varieties of grass and that is what I'll be putting in my yard for my pups as well.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:06 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,899 times
Dirt, as in natural desert soil, with well done xeriscaping and some palo verdes and mesquites can look really nice. That's using some smaller native shrubs and cactos as well as the shade trees. I know it won't catch on as the most popular type of yard but it's the best option as gravel radiates heat at night and reflects it during the day.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:13 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,466,408 times
What's amazing is when you drive by a farm, especially on a hot summer desert night, and feel the cool that radiates from that farm and then drive away from it and feel the difference in temperature.

I agree. Plant material can certainly keep things cooler in the surrounding area. We have a very large Mesquite tree and it shades the front of our south facing house nicely, including a garage door with windows, that no doubt keeps the garage and home much cooler. And planting tough desert shrubs that look nice that can tolerate heat(like a hopseed shrub) against a block fence cuts back big time on reflected heat from the fence.

btw, speaking of plant material, lawns, and cutting back on water, has anyone tried artificial turf at their home? A company trying to sell artificial turf left a sample in our driveway the other day and it looked realistic to my eyes, right down to the bits of brown blades. Not sure if it would really do anything to knock down the temp of a surrounding area but certainly needs no water.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:41 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,939,702 times
It wouldn't do anything, actually the opposite, as it's basically plastic that will heat up like crazy and then radiate the heat back out at night.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:45 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,466,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
It wouldn't do anything, actually the opposite, as it's basically plastic that will heat up like crazy and then radiate the heat back out at night.
Just did a quick search and there's product that actually does block the heat:

HeatBlock Technology » SYNLawn

I'm more interested in people's experience with the look and feel of it in a larger backyard setting.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:50 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,939,702 times
Hmm, I'd be interested to see some actual temperature numbers and not just some graph they put together which seems misleading. They are saying that this is basically only get as hot as 85% of how hot a standard synthetic lawn would get? That's isn't very comforting as an SRP study found that synthetic grass got up to 165º, though it did say that it didn't radiate the heat back out like asphalt does.

Also found this in a review online...

"The temperature of the grass got up to 175 degrees in the "X". Even with the screens on, the temperature on the grass is so hot, children's skin should not touch it if the grass is in direct sunlight. "

Obviously I'm bias toward real grass..I would rather just do gravel vs fake grass, it just looks so...fake. Our neighbors across the street have it and it which it looks realistic, it just never changes or moves...it's like planting a fake flower or fake tree. By the way I hate fake Christmas trees too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area