Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 11:12 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
So true. In Detroit the news would be, weather, fetus found in a dumpster, sports, elderly woman murdered, local politics, rape at a university. This was a normal day. I think odd or tragic events seem to resonate more here because they are not a daily occurrence.
I would say Detroit has a much worse reputation than Phoenix. It's not a city we should emulate. I think odd and tragic events in AZ attract more attention than they do when they occur in other places because we are under a media microscope for some of the stupid moves our politicians made in the past. Once you get a label, it is very hard to shake it. So every time we do a dumb thing here you can expect it to be on the front pages with the talking heads shaking and saying "here they go again out in Arizona".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 01:33 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,661,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
It's just strange that so much wierd stuff happens here: 4 cases in one week of wrongway drivers killing people on the freeway; CPS coverup when 4000 cases went uninvestigated; 19 firefighters in Prescott all die together; the governor shakes her finger at the President of the United States; the VA in Phoenix is in a very big scandal; and now, another one. A young girl kills her gun instructor while learning about an uzzi, with her parents on site.

Is there something in the water????
Very transient/revolving-door, overwhelming number of transplants, six degrees of separation, people have more hometown pride than Phoenix/AZ pride, hardly any community-oriented folks, incredibly low pedestrian activity, very limited interactions with neighbors (house to garaged car to work and vice versa, no one walking around subdivisions or sitting on front lawns or in driveways, no front porches), few locally-owned businesses (overwhelming number of chain establishments--more so than any place I've ever lived) and even less support for the few that exist, and so forth.

You see the same thing in FL, which is the subtropical version of AZ and basically AZ on steroids in terms of weird news/press, but don't forget--19 million in FL and only 6 in AZ.

I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about--I just moved back to California last week, and I will have you know that I noticed on the news that there was more of an outpouring of love and support for a San Bernardino police officer who was shot in the head in the line of duty--in critical condition last I checked--than there was for the 19 fallen firefighters in Prescott last summer. An entire stadium in SB filled up with locals praying and offering their love and support to the injured police officer--you'd never see that in Arizona, and you didn't when the hotshots died--I don't remember anything in Phoenix or Tucson, where most Arizonans live, honoring those victims that garnered as many attendees. Too many degrees of separation, too transient, no one vested in the local community or state community at large.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:40 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,080,184 times
There was aLOT of outpouring and love for the 19 firefighters in Prescott. Sorry you missed it.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:41 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,144,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about--I just moved back to California last week, and I will have you know that I noticed on the news that there was more of an outpouring of love and support for a San Bernardino police officer who was shot in the head in the line of duty--in critical condition last I checked--than there was for the 19 fallen firefighters in Prescott last summer. An entire stadium in SB filled up with locals praying and offering their love and support to the injured police officer--you'd never see that in Arizona, and you didn't when the hotshots died--I don't remember anything in Phoenix or Tucson, where most Arizonans live, honoring those victims that garnered as many attendees. Too many degrees of separation, too transient, no one vested in the local community or state community at large.
You're kidding right? The memorial service in Prescott filled the Toyota Center and had the Vice President of the United States as a speaker. For MONTHS you could not turn on the TV or read local news without mention of the Yarnell 19 and the tragic events. The Arizona Diamondbacks wore patches and hung a special jersey in their dugout as a tribute. I'm not sure what more you want? A parade with some floats? Recently a firefighter in Peoria lost his life and there was a huge memorial and fund raiser for his family. This was a poor example to use on your part.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:47 PM

174 posts, read 206,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
You're kidding right? The memorial service in Prescott filled the Toyota Center and had the Vice President of the United States as a speaker. For MONTHS you could not turn on the TV or read local news without mention of the Yarnell 19 and the tragic events. The Arizona Diamondbacks wore patches and hung a special jersey in their dugout as a tribute. I'm not sure what more you want? A parade with some floats? Recently a firefighter in Peoria lost his life and there was a huge memorial and fund raiser for his family. This was a poor example to use on your part.

The massive support shown in Phoenix for the 19 firefighters even made news here in Atlanta if I recall correctly.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:52 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,144,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaethe View Post
The massive support shown in Phoenix for the 19 firefighters even made news here in Atlanta if I recall correctly.
It was world wide news and there was much support locally despite what some may say.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:20 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
They did have a parade of sorts. Remember when they brought the bodies to Phoenix for autopsies? There was a huge procession of hearses with crowds lining the roads. That was about the worst, misinformed post that poster has put up here - and that is quite an accomplishment.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:51 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,481,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
oh good grief, stop.

Translation....you like CA more than AZ and are justifying your move as a good thing. Got it. Glad it's working out for you. But your exaggeration on the above shows something of a bizarre motive in my book. And not that CA it a transient state/is largely a state of transplants or anything like that.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:47 PM

975 posts, read 1,406,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
That's because there are only 7 of us. If you were to meet one, we're pretty gosh darn proud.
I've met several. Most of them are embarrassed to be from Arizona and wish they lived somewhere else.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:30 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,921,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
I've met several. Most of them are embarrassed to be from Arizona and wish they lived somewhere else.
Really??? I don't know any AZ natives that wish they lived somewhere else. If they did they would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area