Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:45 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,626,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoncorgi View Post
I agree with other commenters that you should look seriously at places like Austin, Denver, and Seattle. All three have significantly better economies, more vibrant culture, are better geared toward young professionals, and will be much better suited to your dietary needs. I (totally biased) personally LOVE Seattle and think it's the best choice of the three, but you said you prefer a more car oriented city and Seattle is definitely NOT that. The summers are absolutely perfect, but winters can be rough if you have SAD. It also has a much higher cost of living than Denver (less familiar with Austin so I won't comment)--and all three will be higher than Phoenix. The flip side to that is that wages/salaries in Seattle are also much higher, and there is no income tax. I assume you would find the situation to be similar in Denver and Austin.
Just food for thought.
Can't vouch for Austin, but pay is NOT keeping up with rapidly escalating rents in Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 08:35 AM

76 posts, read 112,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaFriday View Post
There are some, but it's not the overriding culture. There just aren't that many white collar jobs here. It's more an affordable place to raise a family. Most people come here because of cheap houses or warm weather, not for a killer career.

The good news is if you're smart and hard working and can land a good job, you'll probably get promoted really fast. There just isn't much competition.
I think this is actually a good thing for me to start off. Even if I stay for 4-5 years or so and head over to San Diego after a few years experience in my that would be great. And if there isn't much competition, hopefully I will hear back from some employers after applying to some jobs. I can make the career killer if there aren't as many motivated candidates My friend there has a great group of friends that all have great careers but they balance work and career very well. I don't necessarily want to become a workaholic haha.

I hear bad things about Florida and all the other cities I'm researching and I will decide based on the job opportunity, weather and cost of living.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:55 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I'm a vegetarian, and find it very easy to eat out in Phoenix. Obviously, I don't choose to go to steakhouses, unless I have to, because there you may only find baked potatoes and salads to choose from. Most upscale/hip/trendy restaurants around here include some vegetarian entrees. I have vegan friends, and it's more difficult for them to dine out, but we always find places. Here are a few veg-friendly restaurants I can vouch for.

Green
Nami
Seasons 52
Bragg's Factory Diner
Pita Jungle
Pomegranate Cafe
Cafe Barrio
Fresh Mint
True Food Kitchen
Persian Garden Cafe
Sage Kitchen
Mellow Mushroom
Richardson's
Scramble
That's a Wrap
Treehouse Bakery

I also find it very easy to eat vgetarian here, but I tend to stick to non-American restaurants and opt for Thai, Indian, Mexican, Chinese,etc, all of which can easily be ordered vegetarian.

I had lunch at a Pei Wei over the weekend for the first time. YUM!! Very good.

Also, love this place, best spring rolls ever...

Loving Hut USA | Vegan Cuisine

Old 07-28-2014, 09:20 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It's doable if you stick to Whole Foods, Trader Joes and online stores. I have a lot delivered because I do a lot of Asian cooking. Fry's Market has more and more organic supplies. Have to be careful though. If you are that into health nutting then you are probably use to doing most of your cooking yourself anyway so you shouldn't miss dinning out a lot. I don't know of any city you can stay healthy in and dine out constantly. Unless you eat at the same place over and over again.
I like the selection at Fry's. I find what I need there for my vegetarian diet except Quorn products. Those I can often find at Target, though.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:50 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,481,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I'm a vegetarian, and find it very easy to eat out in Phoenix. Obviously, I don't choose to go to steakhouses, unless I have to, because there you may only find baked potatoes and salads to choose from. Most upscale/hip/trendy restaurants around here include some vegetarian entrees. I have vegan friends, and it's more difficult for them to dine out, but we always find places. Here are a few veg-friendly restaurants I can vouch for.

Green
Nami
Seasons 52
Bragg's Factory Diner
Pita Jungle
Pomegranate Cafe
Cafe Barrio
Fresh Mint
True Food Kitchen
Persian Garden Cafe
Sage Kitchen
Mellow Mushroom
Richardson's
Scramble
That's a Wrap
Treehouse Bakery
Thank You! The person who said there's few and far between vegetarian options I think hasn't been looking very hard in my view. Phoenix metro is a very good place to be a vegetarian/vegan.

On your list I'd add:

The Loving Hut
24 Carrots
Udupi Indian Restaurant

And tons of places will cater to your vegetarian or vegan needs/have vegan or vegetarian options. We do it all the time. NYPD has a great Vegan Pizza btw. The Yard House has lots of "Gardien" options on their menu. And the Chandler Whole Foods has some excellent vegan cakes made in house. And some excellent vegan chocolate chip cookies that are amazing, "Beyond Meat" products in their deli case, etc. We eat mostly a whole food plant based diet but it's nice to eat some deserts now and then.
And on and on and on.....

Last edited by stevek64; 07-28-2014 at 11:20 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 07:18 AM

76 posts, read 112,580 times
Thanks everyone. I think once I visit I will know for sure, but job opportunities will be top prioroity. As some posters said, it's not as competitive in Phoenix? Like I said I have a degree in communications and advertising so people made it sound like I wouldn't have issues finding something.

My friend also said Phoenix is a big melting pot and that people have got jobs there even though they were in another state. So I'd either have to find a job first and then leave PA or move there with a ton of savings and then find a job. Those will really be my only 2 options. What have other people done here?

Also, my skillset is very specific because I have a vast variety of skills in my field including public relations, graphic design and social media management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area