Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 02:04 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,076,199 times

Advertisements

Oh I see them all the time in my garage, on my patio and occasionally in the house. But they are all dead. The Cykick works wonderfully. That's why I fail to see where this one fellow got into the kitchen and how he survived the Cykick which usually does them in. Yes, he might have gotten a ride from somewhere.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 02:31 PM

39,096 posts, read 51,295,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Oh I see them all the time in my garage, on my patio and occasionally in the house. But they are all dead. The Cykick works wonderfully. That's why I fail to see where this one fellow got into the kitchen and how he survived the Cykick which usually does them in. Yes, he might have gotten a ride from somewhere.
Are you sure what you are seeing is actually a dead scorpion or just the "skin". Scorpions shed their exoskeletons as they grow. Maybe the pesticide is causing mutations that make them grow very quickly. You may find yourself facing a ten pound scorpion one morning!

Old 07-21-2014, 02:34 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,159,461 times
Some areas of Chandler have scorpions...mostly in the Ocotillo area.

Plants/Animals in the desert have adapted to protecting themselves in the harsh environment. Scorpions, snakes, cactus, numerous other spiny plants and animals/lizards not to mention brown recluse and black widow spiders. I wouldn't worry about scorpions with dogs though...with a mini-schnauzer I would worry about our winged variety of predators...hawks and owls especially. They have been known to take down cats and small dogs. Coyotes normally can't get into your yard but if they find a way over the wall...you may have an issue.

Good luck on the move.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:48 PM

6,775 posts, read 5,078,809 times
I've lived in five different houses in the east part of town, from Ahwatukee out into Gilbert. I never saw a scorpion in the first four.

Our current neighborhood is a different matter. Note that it is surrounded by farmland, and we have irrigation water for big trees. So it's not a typical neighborhood. There are lots of scorpions around, but we've managed to get them under control, at least in keeping them from getting in the house.

If you want some assurance there is no infestation in the property you're about to move into, ask to see the place at night and do a scan with a blacklight. It's very little effort for some peace of mind.

Regards,

hikernut

Old 07-21-2014, 03:05 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,235,313 times
The coyote threat is much more hype than an actual threat for dogs that are kept properly secured in a block walled yard. I imagine the risk would be greater if you had view fencing instead of a block wall as that would allow easy viewing of what is in your backyard. I've lived around, hunted and trapped coyotes since I was 10 years old (almost 50 now) and coyotes are not likely to scale a block wall not knowing what is on the other side of it.

If it was a big problem we'd hear about it all the time on the news. The occasional report in an area of this size indicates it is almost a non-issue.

Now, let your dog get out of your yard and for sure you have to worry about coyotes, cars, poison, etc. killing your dog.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:09 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,167,519 times
Dog owners also need to watch their small dogs carefully, even in fenced backyards. Owls and hawks are a risk for the small pets.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:18 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,235,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Dog owners also need to watch their small dogs carefully, even in fenced backyards. Owls and hawks are a risk for the small pets.
I'd be more worried about this then I would coyotes with small dogs.

Though, I've not seen many (if any) LARGE birds of prey since being here. Seen smaller owls and some smaller falcon/hawks but no large owls, eagles or hawks. Seen some big Condors but they don't attack living critters as far as I know.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:36 PM

755 posts, read 1,120,142 times
Our realtor lives in Scottsdale in a very established neighborhood near a golf course and sees coyotes regularly. On the course and the street. But they don't go in her fenced yard. When we see them in MT they are very shy. In Scottsdale we hear they can be pretty bold.

Our house in Goodyear in Estrella, so we're close to the desert--there's a wash two houses down. Since having the yard sprayed we have NOTHING crawling back there for the moment; once we get things on an even keel we will settle down a bit and go from monthly to quarterly spraying, so we'll expect to see the occasional crawly. Hubby was excited to get his black light and go out in the back yard to see a few scorpions, but there were none. He did find a 10 inch section of what appeared to be a good sized rattlesnake....but we're assuming a bird must have carried it in. LOL. We hope. It's a good reminder, though, when you're out walking with dogs or kids that we need to be mindful of what's out there.

I've been waiting to see a Javelina, but no luck yet!!! Keeping an eye out!

Old 07-21-2014, 04:03 PM

640 posts, read 958,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I've heard both species of cougar, 2 and 4 legged, are very common in Phoenix.
The 2 legged cougars are generally confined to the Downtown Scottsdale area, and only come out of hibernation between the hours of 10pm and 2am on Friday and Saturday night. If you see one, get some good pictures to show your friends back home.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:34 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,159,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I'd be more worried about this then I would coyotes with small dogs.

Though, I've not seen many (if any) LARGE birds of prey since being here. Seen smaller owls and some smaller falcon/hawks but no large owls, eagles or hawks. Seen some big Condors but they don't attack living critters as far as I know.
C'mon down to Chandler...there are a couple large hawks that live over by a farm to the south of us that make soaring patterns over the neighborhood daily. Lost a couple of cats to them (I think)...and not small ones either. There is a large owl that lives somewhere in the greenbelt behind the house as well...Could have been him rather than the hawks that got the cats...not sure. I also had a great blue heron land on the neighbor's playhouse a couple of months back...neighbor has a coy pond so I assume the big boy was looking for a snack.

I think there is a riparian rescue up in Gilbert as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area