Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,078 times

Advertisements

Hi. Thanks for accepting me on this forum. I live in northwestern North Carolina. I bought a 1970 Dodge Charger R/T in 1984 and it had a dealership decal on the edge of the trunk lid that said Valley Dodge Glendale. I had to remove it sometime after that for a repaint. Since the car has California emissions I assumed it was from California. I gave up looking for the dealership until the internet came along and then didn't have much luck. I later found out that this dealership was in Arizona. I researched more and found Performance Dodge and contacted them. They said that their dealership was formerly Valley Dodge but didn't have any more information. That was a few years ago and after searching Google again the other day I found this forum. I have seen a picture here which looked like a section from the yellow pages from an old phone book with Chandler Dodge on one page and what appeared to be Valley Dodge across from it. I am hoping that someone has some information or advertising material from this dealership. I would love to see pictures of it and especially a photo of a dealership decal like was on the trunk lid of my car. I want to have it reproduced and put back on there. What would be great would be if someone had actually kept the records of the vehicles sold there and would sell them to the owner's of the vehicle they matched. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Stephen

Information on Valley Dodge in Glendale-my-charger-005.jpgen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 02:06 PM

9 posts, read 15,017 times
Any luck? I to have a 1968 Barracuda with Valley Dodge, Glendale Az on the trunk. Your post is the only thing I could find on the dealer, so it probably closed long ago. It was probably around 43 ave and Glendale Ave, since that is where most of the car dealers (that are left) are located. Hopefully someone will remember the dealership

Old 09-06-2014, 01:45 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,627,477 times
According to old newspapers, W.D. "Bill" Smith's Valley Dodge had two lots around 1970. One lot was at 4240 W. Glendale Avenue, which oddly enough is in Phoenix (right on the border of Phoenix and Glendale). I'm also seeing advertisements for a Valley Dodge (Lot 2) at 5556 NW Grand Avenue, which would be near the heart of Glendale. It appears that this was the original location, as the oldest articles only provide the Grand Avenue address. It may have been that the dealership expanded to the new location around 1966-1967 and the Grand Avenue location became a secondary lot.

In any case, The building on Glendale Avenue is currently occupied by a business called Express Auto Spot Motor Vehicle Dealer. It's unclear if the building on Grand is still standing. Since then, Grand has gone through pretty significant changes. There is a business near the address on Grand called Paul's Arizona Auto Service. Maybe someone there remembers the dealership and can get you what you're looking for. All of the newspaper articles I'm pulling referencing Valley Dodge are from between May 1963-1992. The name was changed to Performance Dodge as you stated in your original post.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:11 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,740,560 times
I know that they were still in business at Glendale and 43rd Ave. in 1991 because I looked at a Dodge Shadow Convertible there. Ultimately didn't buy it because it was a Dodge. Got a Mustang convertible instead.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:52 PM

9 posts, read 15,017 times
That makes sense, I remember there being a dodge dealership on 43 ave and glendale NE corner. Probably went there for parts, not a big fan of bill luke jr (don). I remember the 2nd gen dakota's were fairly new, so must have been late 1990's. Thanks all.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,078 times
Hi. I was shown a license plate frame on Ebay. Other than that, I haven't found anything. Here is an advertisement that might help some if I can get someone locally to make a decal for the back. I would love to see a picture of the decal on the back of your Barracuda edhhjrs if it's still there. Thanks for all the comments and the help.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,396 times
I worked at the Grand Avenue location in the late 1960's. The main building was a quonset hut roof shaped building on the right side as you were heading towards downtown Glendale. The building is long gone. It became the used car lot after the new location opened. I moved away from the PHX area in 1975 so I don't know when the 43rd and Glendale location closed as a Dodge dealer. Cheers!

Old 05-15-2019, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,039 times
Default Info on Valley Dodge, Phoenix, Arizona

I worked at Valley Dodge in Phoenix for 20 years. I have a photo of the dealership at the Phoenix address but not of the old Glendale office. I hope that you still have that car. It looks great!

Old 05-16-2019, 08:07 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I know that they were still in business at Glendale and 43rd Ave. in 1991 because I looked at a Dodge Shadow Convertible there. Ultimately didn't buy it because it was a Dodge. Got a Mustang convertible instead.
I would have chose the Mustang over the Shadow simply for Rear Wheel Drive (Mustang) over Front Wheel Drive (Shadow) rather than brand loyalty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area