Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 10:53 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,219,146 times

Advertisements

Mastro's City Hall Steakhouse (Camelback Rd by Fashion Square): went here for a business "meet & greet" last night. (Yesterday was a busy day lol!). Way on the pricey side-if looking for budget dining, look elsewhere. Cocktails ran around $17-20 a piece. Tho they left the shaker at the table, so you essentially got 2 drinks for that price which is fairly reasonable. Try the dry ice! They put it in the drinks and they "smoke" like a witches brew which was a really nice presentation. They also served the shrimp cocktail with dry ice.

We had shrimp cocktail that while very large shrimp was equally as expensive. The shrimp were ok but I have had better. Stuffed mushrooms were good with a bit of a zing (suspect red pepper flakes). Tomato, basil and mozzarella salad was superb-nice thick tomatoes and absolutely excellent fresh mozzarella. Also try the pretzel bread in their bread basket-very good.

Unfortunately two of our party had another business obligation so we didnt have time to order dinner.

One of our party said this is the same Mastro's that does a seafood house restaurant as well in the valley. They said the menu is essentially the same, with the only difference being that in the steakhouse the "meat" portions are larger and more prominent, and in the seafood restaurant, obviously the "seafood" portions are larger and more prominent.

Recommend if you have a huge chunk of change to drop or an unlimited corporate expense account and want a nice meal for a special occasion. But if looking for budget dining for a family, look elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 02:37 PM

15,153 posts, read 11,662,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
Ajo Al's (70th & Shea): Mexican. Good! Portions are large. Loved: pollo con queso. Chicken with a lot of cheese and spiced cream cheese topping. And the tortilla chips and salsa. Reasonably priced. Definitely recommend.
hahaqhah...my fave dish! I thought it was on 92nd st..I know there is one on 75th ave and Bell.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:45 PM

15,153 posts, read 11,662,477 times
I cannot believe no one has mentioned a few of my fave restaurants.

1. Uncle Sams---best mushroom cheesteak EVER!
2. Times square Pizzaria (27th ave & Deer Valley) Fresh seafood pasta!
3. Satisfied frog (Sadly, this closed down after 25 yrs of service)

I have always wanted to try "Ted's Hot dogs" since they advertise on the radio all the time. But i cannot justify driving all the way to
Mesa from N Phx for just some hot dogs...

Old 04-12-2008, 03:22 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,980,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post

I have always wanted to try "Ted's Hot dogs" since they advertise on the radio all the time. But i cannot justify driving all the way to

My husband was bragging about that Uncle Sams. I'm gonna have to check that out.

Also for Chinese Food Flo's in Scottsdale takes the prize.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:40 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,355,476 times
Quote:

Ted's Hot Dogs is actually in Tempe, SEC of Broadway & McClintock. I've eaten there a few times; their hot dogs are pretty good, but it's still just a hot dog-- could great can a hot dog be? It's all junk food. Interestingly, Ted's is a chain based in Buffalo, NY, and all their locations are in that area, except for the one in Tempe, AZ.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:09 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,219,146 times
ELORocks17, this was initially just a thread of my reviewing restaurants I had been too. That is why none of those had been mentioned. ;-) I think Ajo Al's may have more than one location.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:25 PM

307 posts, read 956,073 times
Default Satisfied Frog!

Quote:

Damn! I would occasionally drive by this place from time to time, over the last 20 years!

I kept telling myself I would stop in one day...

I even remember a radio personality (on AM radio KFYI?) having a "shindig" there... now it's too late!

There is truth to the saying, "you snooze you lose"...

Old 04-13-2008, 10:49 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,333,501 times
Default The Ocean Club

Quote:
La Hacienda (Scottsdale Fairmont Princess): Mexican. I believe the only 4 or 5 star Mexican restaurant in America. And IMHO 100% deserving of the honor. Food, dining area and service were outstanding. Not for the slim of wallet tho. We went with a group function and all told, with full appetizer course, entrees, desert and liquor (including the 150 year old tequila-->wow!), sum total was around $300 PER person. Most definitely recommend if you are looking for a way to get rid of a decent sized chunk of your disposable income.
That's pricey. But the priciest place I've eaten so far here is The Ocean Club. Our appetizer was $200.00! That was for ONE appetizer! It was shrimp, lobster, and crab on dry ice in the shape of a tower.
We've been a few times and it's very good, but very expensive.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Pizza Picazzo (Promenade at FLW & Scottsdale): Essentially a fancy pizza joint. Some very interesting "designer" pizzas-->like my son had a shrimp pizza. Pricing is a tad on the high side for a pizza joint. The small pizza essentially like a "personal size" with I think 4 slices was if I remember correctly around $15 or more. Not a place to take a hungry 19 year old son. I just see something theoretically wrong after appetizers and pizzas and beverages with forking out close to $70 for dinner for 2 at a pizza place.
What's good about this place though is that if you have celiac disease, they make a glutten free pizza!

Old 04-13-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Elephant Bar (Scottsdale 101 at Mayo & Scottsdale): Been here twice. Definitely recommend. Prices are actually very reasonable. Sandwiches run about $7 up. They also do a bit of Asian/fusion type stuff (hmmmm.....their decor says "safari" but some of their food says "Great Wall of China" lol!). I had a Philly Steak Sandwich the one visit and French dip the next visit. They were both good, but White Chocolate (see earlier in this post) still does a better French Dip (tho you pay much better for it as well...). I took 3 to dinner including a $13 appetizer platter for around $50. Tho if going at dinner hour-it is crowded. You will wait for seating. ;-)
I noticed you like the French Dip sandwich. Fox Sports Grill at the Promanade has a very tasty one also!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area