Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 05:16 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,209,353 times

Advertisements

I know that one state has a motto like "home of 10,000 lakes". I hereby dub northern reaches of Phoenix and Scottsdale with its own: "Home of a Ten Million Restaurants" lol! I relocated here from Cleveland, and have never in my life seen so many restaurants!

So I am going to keep adding to this post to provide reviews on those that I try. In part to help others. In part to help me remember which ones I liked lol! Others can chime in of course. ;-)
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 05:31 AM

North (Kierland): This is my niece's favorite haunt. She makes us go there at least once a week lol! I would classify the food as a definite modern/eclectic twist on Italian comfort food. Loved: Fig, coat cheese and prosciutto pizza at lunch and I believe it was pot roast with polenta and roasted veggies at dinner. Recommend.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:33 AM

Zinc Bistro (Kierland): This is essentially a French version of North IMHO. I believe they are owned by the same company as a matter of fact? Love: chicken sandwich (HUGE-enough for 2) with French fries (awesome huge portion and served in a metal cup). Recommend.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:40 AM

Trader Vic's (East Main): Atmosphere is absolutely fun! Tiki meets the Southwest. Not cheap. My sister and I shared an appetizer, each had 1 drink and coffee, each had an entree and a desert--->and checked out around $170.... The wood fired lamb was awesome-and I typically do not like lamb at all. Orange chicken was so so. Appetizers were average. Manager personally came to every table at least a few times that night. Also loved: hand towel dispenser in the ladies room--->a tiki head where the towels pull out of its nose. ;-0 Overall: recommend for the atmosphere if you have a lot of spare change laying around, definitely go for the wood fired meats, otherwise dishes we tried appeared not to warrant the price range.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:44 AM

Ajo Al's (70th & Shea): Mexican. Good! Portions are large. Loved: pollo con queso. Chicken with a lot of cheese and spiced cream cheese topping. And the tortilla chips and salsa. Reasonably priced. Definitely recommend.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:46 AM

Village Tavern (Gainey & Scottsdale): Traditional American "home" cooking in a "tavern" atmosphere. Absolutely loved the ribs and the pork chops (2 HUGE thick chops with a maple glaze). Reasonably priced. Most definitely recommend.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:50 AM

El Chorro (Lincoln in Paradise Valley): Awesome outdoor dining patio. Hugely crowded. Overpriced for the quality. Almond Shrimp set me back about $33-->large shrimp but bland and overcooked and cold by the time they arrived at the table. Chateaubriand: so so. Only decent entree of the party I was with: chicken fried steak of all things. Absolutely horrible service and wait time for meal. Do not recommend other than a nice place to dine under the stars.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:53 AM

Earl's (FLW & 101): Attempting to be 19 restaurants in one. Everything from burgers to Thai to Italian. I had a Thai chicken dish-->superb! My sister had the Indian variation-->also superb. 2 in my party sent their dishes back to the kitchen as bland and/or overspiced or tasteless. Reasonable price. Cautiously recommend: it appears this restaurant is trying to be too many things at once and only does some of them well.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:58 AM

Old Town Tortilla Factory (Old Town Scottsdale on East Main): Mexican. Very nice indoor and outdoor dining area and atmosphere. Good: Red Chile Pork Chop and Chorizo dip. Reasonable price. Recommend.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:07 AM

Sapporo's (Acoma & Scottsdale): Asian/Pacific Rim. Absolutely gorgeous dining, bar and outdoor patio. One of Scottsdale's "places to be seen and scene". Go for appetizers and drinks, all reasonably priced. Loved the Coconut Chicken on skewers presented in a pineapple slice, and I believe it was a frozen mango or papaya martini. Also try the teppan grill. Reasonably priced-and warranted. Definitely recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area