Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 11:51 AM

140 posts, read 174,663 times

Advertisements

Also, than you pbenjamin. That is exactly what I mean by a yellow jacket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 12:19 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,480,793 times
Do the "yellow jackets" land on the water and stand for a few seconds? If so, they are probably yellow paper wasps. When we had a pool, we saw them often and they never bothered us when we were swimming or around the pool.

We also had many bees around a large orange bell shrub that was near our pool. Often there were 50-100 bees at times pollinating, and again they never bothered us. I would trim the shrub and they'd be all around me and never bothered me.

btw, the yellow paper wasps are also a beneficial insect:

Beneficial insects in the garden: #01 Paper Wasps

We saw one go after a large caterpillar. That benefited us as those caterpillars were feeding on the chard in our garden.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:37 PM

397 posts, read 660,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromEastCoast View Post
Interesting. Sorry if I am skeptical. When you say "they" what do you mean? The paper wasps?
Yeah, they buzz right by me and don't seem interested in stinging anyone just getting water.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:49 AM

39,099 posts, read 51,306,911 times
We always called the ones that land on the pool all day mud daubers. They take the water and combine it with dirt to make mud tubes that they lay eggs in.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:00 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,459,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We always called the ones that land on the pool all day mud daubers. They take the water and combine it with dirt to make mud tubes that they lay eggs in.
I've called them that, too. All the same critter.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:48 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
A note to people back east: what is usually referred to in Arizona as a yellow jacket is probably not the same creature that you are thinking of that looks like this

What we have in Arizona is properly called a Yellow Paper Wasp and looks like this:
I was going to say.....because I've never seen or heard of yellow jackets in this state, and I've encountered true yellow jackets. They are very distinct and you will know them if you see them.

True yellow jackets look much larger and they hover like little helicopters. When I lived in Dallas, we had true yellow jackets in the backyard.

The same thing that many of you rant about (Heat and Dryness) actually keep a lot of hymenoptera away because they can't survive in these arid conditions. Go to Texas and Florida, and you will see a lot more of them.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:01 AM

140 posts, read 174,663 times
I'm an idiot. They are just bees. We went outside and started splashing around and they just took off. Thanks. Good to know we don't have yellow jackets here. That has to be the only evil, US animal, that Arizona is missing.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:38 AM

7,192 posts, read 9,261,862 times
The mud daubers or paper wasps are what I see. While not too aggressive they will often chase me about 20-30 ft from their nest if I trim too close. If their nest is too close to the house I will wonder back in a couple of minutes and watch to see where they go.

All you have to do to get rid of them is knock their nest down. They don't usually come back after that. Oh yeah if you can't figure it out, after you knock the nest down, RUN. Still they've never chased me more than 20-30 ft.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:50 AM

939 posts, read 796,759 times
Wait until twilight, and pour gasoline into their nest. Make sure they don't have another way to exit their nest. This should do it.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:51 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,229,523 times
Burning the nest is good option depending where u live. I've done that. Above and below the ground.

While doing tree removal i stepped on a nest under the ground and was attacked by a swarm and ran for at least 100 feet as
my coworker watched. They got under my clothing and in my hair..it was a nightmare LOL. Once i knew i was safe i shed all my clothing except my drawers and whisked the few that where still around away. Ended up with like 15 stings..

My point, they do have nests under the ground and if found, i pour gasoline over that ground and light a match. Hopefully gasoline finds it's way through their tunnels and burns em up and out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area