Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 04:32 PM

8 posts, read 13,795 times

Advertisements

I did a quick map search on Zillow for rentals near old town scottsdale - I looked at the area roughly bordered by N Scottsdale Rd to 64th, between Thomas and Chaparral, as that's an area I know well and it has a lot going on for a younger person (walk/bike to nightlife etc). I've found Zillow is never really up to date for rentals, but it's a useful tool to get a feel for what's out there.
There are several pretty decent apartments under $700 - they're not luxury, but as a starting point, not bad. I saw one that was a good location on E 4th with 2br and community pool for $695, and another that was a great walkable location for $650 (looks like a guest house). You really just need to do some investigating when you come out, as the neighborhoods vary block to block.. you see a lot of "for Rent" signs just posted up outside, a lot of building are just small privately owned and they may not even advertise (craigslist perhaps). In very broad general terms it gets rougher closer to Thomas and nicer towards Camelback, but like I said you have to see for yourself because it varies block to block in a lot of these older more central areas.
* you might also check out Padmapper website, it pulls listings from craigslist and rent.com and other places, in a map interface.

Last edited by sarahw97; 07-30-2014 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 02:16 PM

52 posts, read 96,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
The OP actually said the real estate person told them to be wary of places that are less than $600, not what specific areas to avoid. And I would agree that most apartments in that lesser range usually have undesirable attributes like run down, poor management, or a less desirable location.
See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopsiepie View Post
I was told to avoid Mesa, the west Valley, Gilbert and South Phoenix.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:30 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshaman View Post
See below.
You live in Pennsylvania, and you are telling the OP to avoid huge areas of metro Phoenix in looking for a place to rent? A lot is going to depend on where she ends up working, but there are good options in Mesa, Gilbert, and "the west Valley", which is way too large to lump together in an opinion about anything. I would opt out of south Phoenix, too, but I would not throw out the other three before I even start.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:24 PM

44 posts, read 53,607 times
I'd say $600 is about the lowest you'll be able to find in the decent/nice complexes close to anything or anywhere. If you don't mind living far out under $600 reasonable.

LIVE NEAR YOUR WORK is my 2 cents

Old 08-06-2014, 09:38 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,626,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You live in Pennsylvania, and you are telling the OP to avoid huge areas of metro Phoenix in looking for a place to rent? A lot is going to depend on where she ends up working, but there are good options in Mesa, Gilbert, and "the west Valley", which is way too large to lump together in an opinion about anything. I would opt out of south Phoenix, too, but I would not throw out the other three before I even start.
I think he/she was referring to the post that said OP's realtor said to avoid under a certain price and not areas, which I contested as OP did actually say her realtor said to avoid under a certain price AND entire areas. This poster was just reiterating what I said, pointing out OP's original statement.

Eh, that was kinda circular. Sorry!

Old 08-18-2014, 10:34 AM

52 posts, read 96,946 times
Thanks, yukon, that was my intent. Observer53, I was just trying to clarify what Moopsiepie was told by her realtor. Apparently, crystalys misread the OP's original post. I don't know nearly enough about the PHX metro area to make an suggestions or claims. Sorry to have stirred the pot in the wrong direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area