Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 01:18 PM

197 posts, read 454,309 times

Advertisements

I'm 20, single and on my own. Born and raised in Phoenix, grew up in the Central area and live in Arcadia. As much as some people say it's boring here, my friends and I always find something to do. We spend most of our time downtown, as it's growing. Usually we see a movie at Arizona Center, a show at Crescent Ballroom or just hang out at Cityscape. We often go to the first Friday artwalk along Roosevelt mainly because we see our old friends from high school there. With the growing ASU and U of A campuses downtown I hope the central core grows and becomes a more younger oriented place, just needs a hookah lounge. Imo any neighborhood of Phoenix is family oriented. Even where I live in Arcadia, which is probably why I received a noise complaint from my neighbor just because I had a few people over one night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 02:00 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,624,404 times
Here's a 20-something top list based more on entertainment opportunities than fitness (not all 20-somethings are gym bodies you know)…

Most Underrated Cities For 20-Somethings - Business Insider

What's interesting is the #1 city is the same on bar/entertainment and fitness/outdoor lists (posted earlier on this discussion). Maybe OP should look closer to home.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:10 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,235,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Here's a 20-something top list based more on entertainment opportunities than fitness (not all 20-somethings are gym bodies you know)…

What's interesting is the #1 city is the same on bar/entertainment and fitness/outdoor lists (posted earlier on this discussion). Maybe OP should look closer to home.
Wow, Oakland CA, Newark NJ, Detroit MI? Those should be on a list but it isn't the list of best places for 20 somethings. Maybe if the 20 something is looking to join a gang those would be good choices.

Odd that Scottsdale isn't on either of the lists posted in this thread since it has been mentioned in other threads as arguably being one of the top five nightlife spots in the country.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:12 PM

76 posts, read 112,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post

Hahaha I despise Philly. Been there enough to know that. I don't think I'm going to go off of these silly lists that are compiled, cause they are all so different.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:14 PM

572 posts, read 1,685,594 times
From an outside not yet on the inside, there seems to be plenty to do, but as others have stated, it may just be your perspective. I'm 35, my partner is 31 (A little bit towards the tail end of your demographic, but who's counting), and we've been able to find plenty of soon-to-be events and social things to do. Surprisingly, meetup.com had quite a few different groups listed, depending on your tastes. Then again, just having the 300+ days of sunshine and outdoor weather is motivation enough for us!

Old 07-30-2014, 02:23 PM

22 posts, read 33,133 times
26 year old Phoenix native here. Personally, I think there's lots to do, especially if you're an outdoors person. Even then, if you're into bars/nightlife, there's Tempe, Scottsdale, and downtown Phoenix. The best thing about Phoenix is San Diego, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and Tucson are only a day's drive away.

Thinking about this makes me homesick! If you want boring, come to Raleigh

Old 07-30-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones978 View Post
From an outside not yet on the inside, there seems to be plenty to do, but as others have stated, it may just be your perspective. I'm 35, my partner is 31 (A little bit towards the tail end of your demographic, but who's counting), and we've been able to find plenty of soon-to-be events and social things to do. Surprisingly, meetup.com had quite a few different groups listed, depending on your tastes. Then again, just having the 300+ days of sunshine and outdoor weather is motivation enough for us!
Why thank you! Yes, lots of people are just being introduced to meetup.com It looks like there is a prominent young professionals group, photography, hiking, dining, etc. It's good to be positive and not stereotype a place with millions.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromaz View Post
26 year old Phoenix native here. Personally, I think there's lots to do, especially if you're an outdoors person. Even then, if you're into bars/nightlife, there's Tempe, Scottsdale, and downtown Phoenix. The best thing about Phoenix is San Diego, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and Tucson are only a day's drive away.

Thinking about this makes me homesick! If you want boring, come to Raleigh
Oh haha yep I hear Raleigh is boring too. I was applying to jobs there as well but I just crossed it off my list. It all comes down to it that there are going to be advantages and disadvantages of everywhere!

Old 07-30-2014, 02:48 PM

135 posts, read 165,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoncorgi View Post
I'm going to put this as democratically as I can then:
You clearly seem to have decided that you want to believe your friend. You have asked essentially the same question now in two different posts, and gotten the same answers from multiple users.
If you are going to dismiss our answers because they are not what you want to hear, I'm not really sure what you are attempting to get other than someone telling you what you do want to hear.

Relocating to a place thousands of miles from everything you have ever known takes an enormous amount of courage and faith, not to mention time and money. The OP is only trying to get some reassurance that they aren't wasting their time and resources.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:50 PM

555 posts, read 863,240 times
You would fit in perfect in old town Scottsdale. The place revolves around that age demo (which includes myself). Its affordable and has TONS to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area