Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 07:10 PM

169 posts, read 281,181 times

Advertisements

At least once a week I receive a stack of coupons for fast-food restaurants (which I never visit) and supermarket flyers from the Arizona Republic. It goes straight into the trash but I feel guilty about the waste of paper! How many trees in the Amazon rainforest were cut down to print that junk lol.

Does anybody else receive this junk mail and how do I unsubscribe from their mailing list?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 07:13 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Have you tried calling and asking them? Is your name even on those (I haven't looked that closely at the outside, sometimes I look to see what's in there, sometimes I don't) ? I think they just have the postal carrier put one in everyone's box. If that's the case, there's no way to get off the list.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Have you tried calling and asking them? Is your name even on those (I haven't looked that closely at the outside, sometimes I look to see what's in there, sometimes I don't) ? I think they just have the postal carrier put one in everyone's box. If that's the case, there's no way to get off the list.
No my name isn't on the mail. It's addressed to "resident of apartment X". From looking at the trashcan beside the mail box, it appears everybody in the complex gets it. I googled the Buyer's Edge but no contact info came up. Should I write to the Arizona Republic newspaper directly?

Old 08-07-2014, 08:04 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
You can't stop them. Don't waste your time.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
You can't stop them. Don't waste your time.
Surely this is against some consumer's rights law? I will contact the Arizona Republic directly and let you know the response (although I assume the Buyer's Edge are a separate group but it's worth a try)

Old 08-07-2014, 08:44 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,269,370 times
I used to have a ton of junky little news rags dropped in the driveway and I started emailing all the contacts listed in the different papers. The 'droppings' would stop for a while, then start up again. Each time they did, I'd email everybody again and forward the initial request, then the next one, etc. It has been ages since I've had a paper left in the driveway (knock on wood).

I've called numbers listed in magazines and gotten removed from mailing/marketing lists.

I don't know about coupons; when I get stuff like that it goes into the recycling bin, but if there is a phone number or email on it, I'd contact them.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:22 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,938,904 times
If it's a saturation mailing, which I think Buyer's edge is (as in, it's not addressed specifically to your house, it just has the route number), then you can't stop it because they can't stop it, there isn't a way to remove just your house. If the piece actually has an address on it, then they should be able to exclude yours. Thing is, as mentioned, when they go to update their mailing list periodically, yours will probably end up on it again and you'll start receiving it again.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:03 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
I asked our mailman about this. He said when he picks up his route mail in the AM he is automatically given a stack of these flyers and he is required to put one in each mailbox that he delivers to. He said these flyer programs are the only way the PO makes any real money and there is no way to stop it unless you can see your personal postman and ask him to not put them in your box. But I doubt that he will do it since he is getting paid to deliver them to each box and probably would get fired for not following PO policy.

If it is mail with your personal name and address on it then you can contact the sender and try to get it removed, but resident addressed mail you are out of luck.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:06 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,472,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
If it's a saturation mailing, which I think Buyer's edge is (as in, it's not addressed specifically to your house, it just has the route number), then you can't stop it because they can't stop it, there isn't a way to remove just your house. If the piece actually has an address on it, then they should be able to exclude yours. Thing is, as mentioned, when they go to update their mailing list periodically, yours will probably end up on it again and you'll start receiving it again.
I used to sell direct mail, the Buyer's Edge is a saturation piece meaning that they do not have your address. Everyone in your route gets the mail. Sometimes people would track me down to get me to stop delivering, but there was nothing I could do, every mailbox on the route was getting a postcard. Nothing had an exact address. That's what people are paying for, making sure everyone gets the direct mail piece and hoping that 3% of the people take advantage of the coupons.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:07 PM

681 posts, read 1,560,249 times
I tried to get removed - no luck.

As part time residents, our mailbox gets stuffed with crap between our 6-8 week trips.
I spoke with the letter carrier and, as others have posted, he told me that the company that sends them out PAYS for the distribution and there is nothing you can do to have it stopped.

He did tell me to look up Red Plum on the internet and I could be removed from their weekly mailings - I "opted out" with them and it worked.

Please let us know how you fare with your direct request - I would still like to save a couple of trees and free up space in our mailbox for the 1-2 pieces of real mail we receive a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area