Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 11:43 AM

76 posts, read 112,401 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to single any member here out, but I would like to get a good idea of Phoenix from an 18-35 year olds perspective. So far I got lots of information from a friend there who is 25 and she said several positive things regarding living there for people our age. She said there are career orientated people our age and they're not all wanting to get married and have families. It seems like people on here are stereotyping young people in Phoenix and saying that they are "settled." My friend is single with lots of single friends and she would introduce me to them.

There also seems to be many meetup groups online for young people's activities. Remember I'm coming from a little shi**y town in Pennsylvania where basically the most exciting thing to do is hang out with friends at the donut shop. So I'm going to be grateful for anything Phoenix has to offer for people my age.

Anything you would like to talk about would be great, I'm open to hearing your thoughts, whether you have lived there for a few months to many years. Of course I'm going to come visit but I don't think that will give me the same perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 12:08 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,218,212 times
We recently had a new resident to the Phoenix area state she was bored here and said everything is geared towards families with kids and she can't find anything for single people to keep her occupied. Her perception might be of interest to you so I hope she will chime in.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:20 PM

30 posts, read 47,685 times
Uh, I don't know if I am the member or one of the members you were trying not to single out, based on your last thread. But my partner (29) and I (26) fit the demographic you're interested in, and we recently moved to Phoenix. You already have an idea of my views on the place since it was addressed in you're last thread, but I guess I will reiterate that while I think there are plenty of 18-35 year olds here, this is definitely more of a family-oriented city for the most part. That certainly does not mean there are no single twenty somethings here--spend any Friday or Saturday night in Old Town to see that's not the case.
With that said, I think the bigger issue for you is that this is really not a city for career-oriented single twenty somethings. Many other commentors relayed this information to you in the other thread. I'm not sure if maybe this is just a case of you looking for someone to tell you what you want to hear, or what.

Last edited by bostoncorgi; 07-30-2014 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: edited for spelling

Old 07-30-2014, 12:23 PM

639 posts, read 971,242 times
Agreed with bostoncorgi. I'm 35, so still in the age range you're looking for. Yes, there are young people here who aren't married/tied down with kids. Old Town Scottsdale is a prime location to find them. The difference is that exactly what bostoncorgi states - there are few who are career-oriented professionals in that age range. Very few. Can you find some? Sure. Does the city give that vibe? No.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
We recently had a new resident to the Phoenix area state she was bored here and said everything is geared towards families with kids and she can't find anything for single people to keep her occupied. Her perception might be of interest to you so I hope she will chime in.
Maybe cause she is new and hasn't got out enough yet or made new friends? There's usually a six month adjustment period. And I've heard if you live in the suburbs and don't go anywhere else then, yes you may develop this view. It probably depends on someone's interests as well.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoncorgi View Post
With that said, I think the bigger issue for you is that this is really not a city for career-oriented single twenty somethings. Many other commentors relayed this information to you in the other thread. I'm not sure if maybe this is just a case of you looking for someone to tell you what you want to hear, or what.
Not really, it's because my friend that moved there who is 25 disagrees with that. She has been living there for 7 years now.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:29 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,858 times
Quote:

The 20 Best Cities for 20-Somethings | Greatist

Might want to check out City #2 and #9 in the top 20. Top 10 actually.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopsiepie View Post
Not really, it's because my friend that moved there who is 25 disagrees with that. She has been living there for 7 years now.
I'm going to put this as democratically as I can then:
You clearly seem to have decided that you want to believe your friend. You have asked essentially the same question now in two different posts, and gotten the same answers from multiple users.
If you are going to dismiss our answers because they are not what you want to hear, I'm not really sure what you are attempting to get other than someone telling you what you do want to hear.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
The 20 Best Cities for 20-Somethings | Greatist

Might want to check out City #2 and #9 in the top 20. Top 10 actually.
I moved here from City #3, so I guess moving to #9 still seems like a down-grade to me?

Old 07-30-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I moved here from City #3, so I guess moving to #9 still seems like a down-grade to me?
It's possible! I'm coming from ye old little Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania so no matter what I'll be upgrading.

This was from Time magazine. A nice man friend isn't my top priority though haha but its nice they pointed it out

"The Top 10 list favors the West Coast and the Southwest, and considers factors like high single male-to-female ratio, low divorce rate, low cost of living, and active nightlife. Phoenix, Arizona takes the top spot—a city with a low cost of living, sunny weather, and where 30% of the population consists of single men ready to mingle."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area