Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 07:35 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,663,408 times

Advertisements

It's been my experience over the years in lots of cities that complexes with more studios and 1-bedrooms that other sizes tend to have less kids. The complexes with 3 bedroom units and playgrounds often have lots of kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 07:44 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,518,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
I think downtown Scottsdale are any where near old town would be your best bet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
The area is primarily geared towards adults with the abundance of bars, lounges, and nightclubs.
I don't think this quite fits the criteria of the OP who..... "prefer a newer area in a quiet location, not too close to downtown or high traffic areas."

Old 08-20-2014, 08:00 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,518,173 times
I think it's a crap-shoot really and I think it's going to be tough to find what you're looking for. And if you find a place/a street with no families/kids, who knows what may happen when some couples move in with kids down the line. Or the make-up of the place becomes overall more family oriented.

Though you might be on to a new marketing angle in all of this......a development for people with no kids for a specified age group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It's really not fair at all for childless people who simply want to live in an area without kids, but not in a Sun City type of senior citizen area. There needs to be some middle ground.
I agree with Valley Native. If it's good enough for 55+ communities to be created and no one gets bent out of shape about them/they are allowed to exist by law, why not other age criteria as the OP suggests? People don't like it? No worries....don't move there.

Last edited by stevek64; 08-20-2014 at 08:39 PM..

Old 08-20-2014, 08:22 PM

9,185 posts, read 16,744,524 times
The problem is, childless people usually want to live near the action and families further out. I think you'll either have to live among families or closer to entertainment, dining, etc. A non-family-friendly suburb seems like it would be a rare find anywhere.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:04 AM

1,017 posts, read 2,994,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The problem is, childless people usually want to live near the action and families further out. I think you'll either have to live among families or closer to entertainment, dining, etc. A non-family-friendly suburb seems like it would be a rare find anywhere.
I agree I think the OP is asking for a lot. If you want a quiet area away from downtown and high traffic areas then you're going to have to settle for a more family oriented atmosphere. Living in a family oriented area isn't that bad. I understand not wanting to be around kids when you're single but does seeing children playing basketball at the local park annoy you that bad OP? The Phoenix area might not be your cup of tea. You might just want to endure the high cost of living in the Bay Area if it fits your lifestyle.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:56 AM

2,776 posts, read 5,761,673 times
The way I see it, the best and maybe only chance (outside a city) is getting into a 55+ active adult community that allows a percentage of 45 year olds. Something to work toward I guess.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:15 PM

25 posts, read 34,270 times
My parents recently retired and live in the Westbrook part of Peoria, they tell me it's really nice, mostly retirement and active adult but there are some young families there. I don't really want a retirement community but I don't want to be around kids either, active adult is what I'm looking for.

I looked on Google maps street search at their community and it looks as nice as they describe.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:37 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,527,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webtek334 View Post
My parents recently retired and live in the Westbrook part of Peoria, they tell me it's really nice, mostly retirement and active adult but there are some young families there. I don't really want a retirement community but I don't want to be around kids either, active adult is what I'm looking for.

I looked on Google maps street search at their community and it looks as nice as they describe.
My understanding is it's against the law to designate an entire community for adults only and exclude families with children.

The exception is retirement areas like Sun City that were built before the law went into effect, and were given grandfather status to exclude people under a certain age.

I'm sure you can find some nice suburban areas with master-planned communities that cater mostly to adults without children living with them, but you will probably be around people much older than you.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:30 PM

25 posts, read 34,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
My understanding is it's against the law to designate an entire community for adults only and exclude families with children.

The exception is retirement areas like Sun City that were built before the law went into effect, and were given grandfather status to exclude people under a certain age.

I'm sure you can find some nice suburban areas with master-planned communities that cater mostly to adults without children living with them, but you will probably be around people much older than you.
This Westbrook community is near Sun City according to my parents but it sounds like something I should check into.

I'm planning on flying down there pretty soon to visit my parents and look around for places to live, and if there's anything available in my price range I might consider Westbrook if adults under 50 are allowed in. It would be nice living near mom and dad and I could be close by if they need any help, they're not getting any younger.

I don't mind older folks, not crazy about a retirement area but I'd rather be around older mature people than young families with annoying little kids.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:11 AM

8,059 posts, read 12,369,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webtek334 View Post
This Westbrook community is near Sun City according to my parents but it sounds like something I should check into.

I'm planning on flying down there pretty soon to visit my parents and look around for places to live, and if there's anything available in my price range I might consider Westbrook if adults under 50 are allowed in. It would be nice living near mom and dad and I could be close by if they need any help, they're not getting any younger.

I don't mind older folks, not crazy about a retirement area but I'd rather be around older mature people than young families with annoying little kids.
It's actually called Westbrook Village ... and from what I understand, the HOAs there are very strict if you don't mind something like that. I probably couldn't live there for that very reason (I don't like people telling me what I can or can't do with my own property). On the other hand, I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to live in areas where there are a lot of children. I'm pretty much the same way. Thanks to the stupid "fair housing" laws, there can no longer be communities that are strictly child free ... which I think is a shame considering the decent percentage of adults who don't have kids, and/or don't care to associate with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area