Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 08:03 AM

701 posts, read 1,430,742 times

Advertisements

Don't waste your valuable time in Gilbert. If you have a couple of spare hours, you may want to check out Fountain Hills (on the other side of the McDowell mountains from Scottsdale). The approach, driving in over the hills is gorgeous, and of course you have the world renowned fountain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 08:11 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,921,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaethe View Post
Thanks! Tomorrow is back to Chandler, and a dip into Gilbert. Maybe a side trip back to Deer Valley proper if I need to for work. My co-worker is going to the Diamondbacks game tomorrow evening, though I have opted not to. I did find some decent motel prices around Sedona like Days Inn and Motel 8 ... I am only looking for a place to rest my head that is clean, nothing fancy needed -- so perhaps a night trip into Sedona for star gazing after all!!
There are plenty of motels in Cottonwood and it's only a 15 minute drive to Sedona. No need to pay top dollar to enjoy the scenery. Also, the views from C'wood to Sedona are pretty nice too.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:29 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Or perhaps you have not spent much time in the eastern United States. I feel that the east coast in general looks not as clean because it's older with less space. In Phoenix, the roads are are wide with rubberized asphalt instead of the narrow streets with pot holes or gravel which you commonly find in the east. Also, all the buildings in Phoenix are new. They are glass, and steel which provides a modern clean look.
I don't know if the fact that Phoenix is new-ish is really it. I noticed how clean it was immediately, too, especially in comparison to Las Vegas, which is newer. Much less litter, better lanscaping on the roadways, etc.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:31 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,913,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
Don't waste your valuable time in Gilbert. If you have a couple of spare hours, you may want to check out Fountain Hills (on the other side of the McDowell mountains from Scottsdale). The approach, driving in over the hills is gorgeous, and of course you have the world renowned fountain.
I'll second this. Fountain hills IMO is one of the most beautiful parts of the entire metro.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:39 AM

174 posts, read 206,574 times
For today, Chandler and Deer Valley are for work, and after work the Gilbert dip is to grab a friend who lives here, and then it is up for grabs. Fountain Hills is definitely on my list of possibles!

Loving these almost-insta-dry Phoenix showers. Alrighty, off to work ... more later!

Old 08-22-2014, 09:44 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
I'll second this. Fountain hills IMO is one of the most beautiful parts of the entire metro.
I agree. Fountain Hills feels like Colorado. It's beautiful

Old 08-22-2014, 10:17 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,921,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
I agree. I got to witness the growth of Fountain Hills over the years partly because when I went to Flagstaff, or up to the Rim, I took that route. Just because I loved the drive. It got started, for real, in the early 70's. Then, in the early 80s, I moved to Payson and took that route often to visit family in Phoenix and Scottsdale. Did that, and watched Fountain Hills grow over a ten year period. At one time one of my ex's cousins lived there so we visited fairly often.

I honestly don't even recognize the place anymore, it's grown so much. Especially commercially. I remember when there was nothing much there but a gas station/convenience store or two.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:45 AM

755 posts, read 1,120,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I don't know if the fact that Phoenix is new-ish is really it. I noticed how clean it was immediately, too, especially in comparison to Las Vegas, which is newer. Much less litter, better lanscaping on the roadways, etc.
I agree--I know what other posters mean about the "oldness" seeming to equal grunginess on the east coast (and by the way, I love the east coast), but I'm not sure that's the difference. Phoenix is the cleanest metro area we've encountered, as far as roadway litter & general tidiness around public areas. Our last trip in July came a week after a trip to the LA area, and being back in Phoenix was like a breath of fresh air from the airport on. Seattle doesn't compare, and as noted east coast locations are noted a whole different feel. I haven't spent time in Texas, so can't compare there.

Maybe the lack of vegetation helps to keep things appearing neater, but the lack of litter is something we always notice.

I do find people friendly in Phoenix. Not in an outgoing, particularly gregarious way--just in an open, relaxed way. I think it's a western thing. People in Montana are similar in our experience. I find California a bit different, but I can't put my finger on it. I feel like people in the Phoenix area (except maybe certain locations/events in Scottsdale sometimes) aren't trying to make any particular sort of impression, just going about their business and open to helping you go about yours.

Thanks for sharing your view, so much fun to read!

Old 08-22-2014, 11:49 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,954,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Actually, I feel much more that way about pine trees in the desert. So wrong and out of place looking in these parts in my view but I suppose the mid-westerners/those from back east and such wanted things that remind them of their ex-home.!
Aren't the pines we see out here the Afghan pine? So while they may not be native to our desert, they are a desert native tree. I think.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:07 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,104,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaethe View Post
For today, Chandler and Deer Valley are for work, and after work the Gilbert dip is to grab a friend who lives here, and then it is up for grabs. Fountain Hills is definitely on my list of possibles!

Loving these almost-insta-dry Phoenix showers. Alrighty, off to work ... more later!
Can you take an extra day and visit the Grand Canyon?

It's worth it......

And you'll experience the $25 parking fee.

I have family in Atlanta (Chamblee), and they just came out for a visit last month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area