Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,223 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, long time lurker here that needs to start thinking about where to live in Tempe. I'll be moving to Tempe from the Northeast in May or June 2015. I will be a new graduate, coming with my fiancee, working near Tempe Town Lake.

We would like to keep our budget under $1200 a month, but it would be awesome if it was under $1000. Don't really want to live in a craphole that would be half the price if it wasn't walking distance to Mill Ave, also don't want a place that is only students. 2 bedroom is preferable, but 1 is doable, want to avoid studio.

We would like to try to keep it under a 10 minute walk to the fun places for 22 year olds on Mill would be.(Never been to the area, but living near "the young person downtown" sounds fun for a few years.)

Alta Tempe sounds cool, but kind of expensive and might not be done by the time I would have to move in.

No idea if those requirements are doable, although I guess that is why I'm posting here.

Also, looked online, Cabana on Mill looks cool, but I have no idea how long of a walk it actually is to downtown, it looks like it is over 2 miles from where we'd be walking although again I don't know where the fun stuff is. W6 interior looks cool, but the price is a little high and I've seen a long on here about it being full of students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 07:41 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,603,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereintempe View Post
Hey guys, long time lurker here that needs to start thinking about where to live in Tempe. I'll be moving to Tempe from the Northeast in May or June 2015. I will be a new graduate, coming with my fiancee, working near Tempe Town Lake.

We would like to keep our budget under $1200 a month, but it would be awesome if it was under $1000. Don't really want to live in a craphole that would be half the price if it wasn't walking distance to Mill Ave, also don't want a place that is only students. 2 bedroom is preferable, but 1 is doable, want to avoid studio.

We would like to try to keep it under a 10 minute walk to the fun places for 22 year olds on Mill would be.(Never been to the area, but living near "the young person downtown" sounds fun for a few years.)

Alta Tempe sounds cool, but kind of expensive and might not be done by the time I would have to move in.

No idea if those requirements are doable, although I guess that is why I'm posting here.

Also, looked online, Cabana on Mill looks cool, but I have no idea how long of a walk it actually is to downtown, it looks like it is over 2 miles from where we'd be walking although again I don't know where the fun stuff is. W6 interior looks cool, but the price is a little high and I've seen a long on here about it being full of students.
Cabana is off McClintock and Southern. 10 minute drive to Mill. Walking out of the question. Also, I looked at these before I moved to my current place, it's basically an older low income apartment building with a cool modern outside paint job. Somehow that translates to more rent, but I wouldn't live there even of they were cheap. Did you check out Campus Court Apartments off of Mill and Broadway. That Place seemed decent and not too crazy expensive. Also The Arbors, Rio Salaldo just west of Mill.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:47 PM

72 posts, read 133,772 times
You might try Zillow so you can check out all the prices of rentals on a map. You will see right away that most places within a few minutes walk to Mill Ave is way above your price range.

Hayden Square is a perfect location and relatively affordable complex. There are a couple of one-bedrooms available for $1100/mo.

The Farmer district (North of University, between Ash and Roosevelt) is going through a gentrification. It is a great location, but there is still a mix of "old scary" and "new luxury." West of Roosevelt is an area I wouldn't recommend to friends or family, to put it gently.

South of University has some very cool old homes and condos if you don't mind them being old. Again, try not to go too far west.

As far as avoiding a college student majority, you are out of luck anywhere in Tempe.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Old 08-21-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxMan500 View Post
You might try Zillow so you can check out all the prices of rentals on a map. You will see right away that most places within a few minutes walk to Mill Ave is way above your price range.

Hayden Square is a perfect location and relatively affordable complex. There are a couple of one-bedrooms available for $1100/mo.

The Farmer district (North of University, between Ash and Roosevelt) is going through a gentrification. It is a great location, but there is still a mix of "old scary" and "new luxury." West of Roosevelt is an area I wouldn't recommend to friends or family, to put it gently.

South of University has some very cool old homes and condos if you don't mind them being old. Again, try not to go too far west.

As far as avoiding a college student majority, you are out of luck anywhere in Tempe.

Hope you find what you're looking for!
Honestly,

I didn't think Tempe had any rough areas just based of me cruising all around town. I did notice a high transient population throughout but, nothing like where I'm from thankfully. I'm not going to doubt a Realtor on the matter, just I wouldn't have thought any rough areas existed.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:14 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,545,327 times
I have never seen a "high transient population throughout Tempe" in living here over 30 years. A bit along Apache heading east from the University, but not a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereintempe View Post

Cabana is just a few blocks from the light rail, so no worries about getting downtown (downtown Tempe or downtown Phoenix). It's an older building that was extensively remodeled.

The further south you go, the fewer students you will find. From Baseline south , even south of US 60, far fewer students. Students are NOT a majority in that area. People who think students are the majority all over Tempe don't live here, or don't know it well.

You will be able to find options within your budget that you will like.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:41 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,988,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I have never seen a "high transient population throughout Tempe" in living here over 30 years. A bit along Apache heading east from the University, but not a lot.

Cabana is just a few blocks from the light rail, so no worries about getting downtown (downtown Tempe or downtown Phoenix). It's an older building that was extensively remodeled.

The further south you go, the fewer students you will find. From Baseline south , even south of US 60, far fewer students. Students are NOT a majority in that area. People who think students are the majority all over Tempe don't live here, or don't know it well.

True. Students largely live in the immediate area within a 2 mile radius of ASU. You don't even have to get that far south of ASU I would say once you get south of Southern Ave you really don't even know the university is there. Tempe is far from being all students. ASU is a large commuter school so students come from all over the valley.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:31 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,722,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post

How do you see a transient person? Unless you are using it in the sense of homeless people. But you are right. In Tempe, I consider north of the 60, ASU land and south of the 60, familyland.

I also agree with you on Cabana, my family was looking to live there, but there are no washer/dryer in unit. Perfect rents for ASU students.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:41 PM

72 posts, read 133,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
Honestly,

I didn't think Tempe had any rough areas just based of me cruising all around town. I did notice a high transient population throughout but, nothing like where I'm from thankfully. I'm not going to doubt a Realtor on the matter, just I wouldn't have thought any rough areas existed.
I don't think Tempe has any neighborhoods that are too rough. I am personally not afraid to walk around any neighborhood at night. Some places may just be questionable.

To clarify my earlier post, south Tempe certainly has a different feel and fewer college students, but it also is not walkable to the Mill Ave area. It is at least two miles anywhere south of Southern.

To the OP, you might also consider places along the light rail line if you are willing to ride/walk around Mill and to work. Going a stop or two east or west expands your ability to find housing in your price range.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Unless you are using it in the sense of homeless people.

I also agree with you on Cabana, my family was looking to live there, but there are no washer/dryer in unit. Perfect rents for ASU students.
I'm using it as the PC term for homeless people, yes.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:39 AM

268 posts, read 432,267 times
OP might you consider downtown Phoenix? Not sure what rents are, but there's more bars and restaurants going in all the time and light rail will take you to Tempe. Tempe around Mill is college to the max. In downtown Phoenix, you have the presence of a growing ASU campus, but also a more adult scene, so it's a good mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area