Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,351 times

Advertisements

I know this is a strange question, but I haven't seen anything like it on the board.....

I'm looking at retiring to the Phoenix area in the next couple of years. I'll be looking for a two bedroom apartment or condo, and definately plan to rent first. There will just be myself, no kids or pets. I may be looking for a 55 plus community, but am not interested in a mammoth golfcart development.

I don't plan to bring everything with me--by any means--but it won't be an airline carry-on move either. The furniture I would like to keep is good quality reproductions, mostly Queen Anne cherry, ie., secretary, highboy, hunt board and a couple of poster beds which I have collected over the last thirty years. These are nice pieces, but not precious antiques.

All the furnishings I see in homes in magazines such as Phoenix Home and Gardens, etc are what I would term "Southwestern" in style. While I love the actual southwest vistas and have grown way too tired of the snow, ice and summer humidity in my own mid-Atlantic area, I'm personally not into the larger, heavier Spanish colonial style of furnishings, and I doubt it would fit into a condo or apartment anyway. Is my stuff going to be terribly out of place in a new (to me) home in the greater Phoenix area? And should I even care?

Thanks for any comments you may provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 01:14 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Thats entirely up to you to decide how you want your decor. I personally think it looks a little out of place in an adobe-style home, but thats just me. We decorated Santa Fe style back in Illinois, which looked just as odd to some as how you imagine your decor will look out here.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:23 PM

107 posts, read 201,362 times
I have several relatives in 55+ communities, and none of them have southwest style furnishings or decor. Their furniture ranges from contemporary stuff to exactly the styles you describe. Your furniture won't look out of place at all.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:26 PM

72 posts, read 133,288 times
Most of what you might see in Phoenix Home and Garden are mansions in wealthy areas or updated homes in historic districts. In reality, the majority of homes and condos are the same repetitive patterns you might see anywhere in the US, just more likely to have stucco and pink tile roofs than you might see on the east coast.

I am sure your interior style and design will be appreciated by the friends you meet here who might see it, but you may not be on the cover of any local magazines, and I do think that you should not care.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:31 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
I live in a 55+ and I don't know anyone with Southwestern décor.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:37 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Houses that are too caught up in the Southwestern decor look ridiculous, in my opinion. There are plenty of people who decorate as they would anywhere else and there are many homes that are not overtly Southwestern looking inside or out.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:42 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Your furniture will look just fine in any of those communities. If we were talking about an adobe home with saltillo tile floors, perhaps not, but in those communities (and in MANY other homes in the Valley) what you will find is people living with furniture they like-- of many styles. I don't have a single southwestern piece in my home, it's all older pieces in other styles (some of it older than I am), that I like and feel at home with. You'll be fine.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:52 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,778,722 times
Remember, too, that many homes shown on the real estate listings have been staged by the real estate agent. The furnishings may not reflect the actual furnishings that were in the home prior to listing. In my area of California, where a lot of the homes in my community are southwestern architectural style, the realtors will actually ask that the seller move out their own furniture so that the agent's stager can bring in what they feel might create a more marketable image.

I wouldn't worry about it. I tend to lean towards traditional/antique/french and I'm keeping it no matter what style my house is!

Old 08-21-2014, 03:27 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
I don't think I have been in more than a handful of homes here that were decorated "Southwestern" and unless it was very high end stuff it just looks tacky. Most homes are either of the eclectic variety or the more homey Country decor...although my parents definitely leaned towards the traditional as you described.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:57 PM

639 posts, read 971,725 times
I'm in approximately 150 homes a year. Very very rarely do I see Southwestern decor/furnishings. The majority of homes have the same type of furnishings I saw on the East Coast. I wondered the same thing when we moved here, but there's absolutely nothing to worry about on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area