Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 12:13 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,448,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Better avoid the whole city just to be safe.
Nah. Downtown is safe, and quite nice. Just like any big city, there are good and bad areas. Just stay out of Ferguson, MO for the time being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 12:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Nah. Downtown is safe, and quite nice. Just like any big city, there are good and bad areas. Just stay out of Ferguson, MO for the time being.
Odd that you would recommend avoiding the whole city of St. Louis then.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:12 PM

3,825 posts, read 9,492,287 times
Don't know if it is still like this, but driving eastward through St. Louis the turnoff to start heading up to Chicago is on the left side of the freeway, not the right like most highway intersections. I've done it as well as a bunch of friends and family heading back to Michigan, when you miss the turnoff you get off on the first exit to make a u-turn back onto the freeway. Only problem is that the exit is in a very high crime area (or at least it used to be) and the local welcoming committee is waiting for unsuspecting travelers at the traffic light on top of the off ramp. It's been at least 15 years since I have done this, so hopefully the situation is better. I was pretty nervous waiting for the light to turn green so I could get back on the freeway.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:33 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,448,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Odd that you would recommend avoiding the whole city of St. Louis then.
If you dont know the area, then yes, avoid it. You can end up being somewhere not very desireable. Thats the point I was trying to make.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:30 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,144,205 times
Travel Tip: If you're in a city you are not familiar with check to see if they have a Whole Foods. Generally speaking any area where a Whole Foods is located can be considered a nicer part of town and safe to stay in. This applies to St. Louis as well.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:53 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,708,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Travel Tip: If you're in a city you are not familiar with check to see if they have a Whole Foods. Generally speaking any area where a Whole Foods is located can be considered a nicer part of town and safe to stay in. This applies to St. Louis as well.
Pro tip #2

If you're on/near Martin Luther King drive/road/boulevard (in any major city in the US) , you're in a bad area.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:30 AM

10 posts, read 11,475 times
I don't think the maps on line allow for gas and food stops. I appreciate all the feedback from everyone, it will help with my planning this trip.

I hope everyone has a good holiday weekend.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:18 PM

3,825 posts, read 9,492,287 times
I usually figure that if I'm driving 80 MPH that it's more like 65 MPH once you figure in gas, nature breaks and food stops. But I stock up on food and snacks and try to buy gas at stations that have a restaurant attached. That way it minimizes the amount of time I am wasting. Plus try to find stuff on the right side of the freeway so I'm not wasting time making left hand turns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area