Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 09:17 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,954,726 times

Advertisements

Here's a good piece to pump you guys up a little bit, loved it...can't wait for the next game!

Kriegel: Arizona Cardinals on a mission - NFL Videos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 09:22 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,481,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It makes a big difference where you sit in the stadium when it comes to drunk and obnoxious people. The worst is the "red zone" end zone area. We had tickets there for a while but it was really ugly. We're up on the ring of honor now and it is pretty peaceful. I'd like to see beer banned at the games, but know that ain't ever going to happen.
For these reasons, we watch public events like concerts and sports(not often) for the most part on the big screen tv in the privacy of our home. Or go to spring training games in the west valley like Surprise stadium where people act courteous. The few times we go to an event, we buy tickets in the nose bleed section, usually the last row or the last row of a main section, where someone behind us can't spill beer on us/carry on like they're the only one's in the stadium.

With that said, compared to other cities where we've watched public events over the years, I think the Phoenix metro has some pretty mellow/decent people overall that show up to these events. At least the people who live in the Phoenix metro anyways.

Last edited by stevek64; 10-29-2014 at 10:12 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 09:33 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I had hoped to go to my first Cardinals game on Nov. 16 against my beloved Lions but the ticket prices are on the rise so it looks increasingly like I'll be watching at home or in a bar.

I have, however, heard enough about the games from fans of the Cardinals and away teams that the obnoxious behavior goes both ways. But I've see some local fans in action at other sporting events and what a lot of people here take for "obnoxious" is cheering for a team that isn't local. I had some guy jawing in my ear at a Coyotes game when all I was doing was standing there in a Red Wings jersey. Called him out on how great of a Coyotes fan he was being that he showed up in a Habs jersey. That shut him up real quick. Most people are cool, though, and I don't regard all fans as "obnoxious" because of that one guy.

In other news...

Locals wishing to talk Cardinals can visit the link below to the thread in the C-D sports section.

//www.city-data.com/forum/pro-f...ls-thread.html

Good win against the Iggles. AZ is playing like a playoff team and a contender to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.
I've never heard of Phoenix fans being obnoxious. I have heard and experienced them being passive. Fans will sell their tickets to opposing fans without a thought. They won't stand up for themselves when away fans talk trash (although that has gotten better). The overall sense of pride isn't there. That being said, all of this is understandable. Phoenix teams are not old and don't have generation of fans. The transient population means many grew up fans of other teams and see Phoenix as their second favorite team. The city is fairly white collar and blue collar fans tend to be the most hardcore which is why Philly, Detroit, Cleveland, Pitt, Boston, and Oakland have great fans and why Dallas, Phoenix, San Diego, Miami and L.A. tend to have more fairweather fans. There is much more to do in these latter cities due to the weather and amenities so that residents don't rely on their sports teams for their only source of entertainment when they are holed up in the winter. Phoenix fans have gotten better over the years. They are more vocal and support the local teams through merchandise. Local merchants carry the games when you didn't always see that 10-15 years ago.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:27 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,448,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The reason you find Yotes fans to be weird and obnoxious is because they a real fans. It takes a lot of work to be a Yotes fan. You have to endure much more driving and traffic. The games are later in the evening. The team has no offense and struggles. So the Coyote fans that you see are the type of real fans that you see in cities like Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, and Oakland. They are hardcore and don't put up with a lot of nonsense like fans of the other Phoenix teams.
Theyre "real fans" because they endure traffic and driving, and have late games? Did I just... read...that? If thats what makes a "real fan", then the Hawks have far better fans because there is a far longer commute to the United Center from the suburbs, with far more traffic than anything Phoenix can offer.

Anyways, Yotes fans arent hardcore, I find them to be the opposite. The stadium is half empty a lot of the time, noone I talk to about the Yotes is remotely knowledgeable about the sport, etc.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Theyre "real fans" because they endure traffic and driving, and have late games? Did I just... read...that? If thats what makes a "real fan", then the Hawks have far better fans because there is a far longer commute to the United Center from the suburbs, with far more traffic than anything Phoenix can offer.

Anyways, Yotes fans arent hardcore, I find them to be the opposite. The stadium is half empty a lot of the time, noone I talk to about the Yotes is remotely knowledgeable about the sport, etc.
No you didn't read it so let me invest the comprehension that you are lacking. I meant relative to other Phoenix venues not other cities. The Yotes fans do drive over an hour from the East Valley to attend games late at night. So yeah, they do take more effort than fans of say the Suns and Dbacks who typically have much shorter commutes. The Cards play on Sunday so while they are in the East Valley, they are not fighting weekday traffic that the Yotes fans do.

And the population density immediately surrounding the United Center is probably 10 times that of the area surrounding Jobbing/Gila River arena so it might be a just a tad bit easier to sell out those seats.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:11 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,448,457 times
Quote:
No you didn't read it so let me invest the comprehension that you are lacking. I meant relative to other Phoenix venues not other cities. The Yotes fans do drive over an hour from the East Valley to attend games late at night. So yeah, they do take more effort than fans of say the Suns and Dbacks who typically have much shorter commutes. The Cards play on Sunday so while they are in the East Valley, they are not fighting weekday traffic that the Yotes fans do.

And the population density immediately surrounding the United Center is probably 10 times that of the area surrounding Jobbing/Gila River arena so it might be a just a tad bit easier to sell out those seats.
Your original response to my post mentioned nothing about how Yotes fans have it hard in comparison to D-Back or Cards fans, but rather Boston, Philly, etc, fans. So I guess my reading comprehension skills are just fine. You stated that they have long commutes and have to deal with traffic, which makes them "real fans". Besides, your logic doesnt make any sense in regards to commute times to stadiums. No matter what major city you live in, a lot of fans are going to have long commutes to the stadiums. Most Hawks fans I know lived a good hour out from the stadium, and sometimes further. The United Center sits in a rough area, so its not like the surrounding area has a lot of fans, theyre mostly dirt poor. Therefore it has no effect on how the Hawks sell tickets. Fans travel from way out in the burbs, and even from WI and IN.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Your original response to my post mentioned nothing about how Yotes fans have it hard in comparison to D-Back or Cards fans, but rather Boston, Philly, etc, fans. So I guess my reading comprehension skills are just fine. You stated that they have long commutes and have to deal with traffic, which makes them "real fans". Besides, your logic doesnt make any sense in regards to commute times to stadiums. No matter what major city you live in, a lot of fans are going to have long commutes to the stadiums. Most Hawks fans I know lived a good hour out from the stadium, and sometimes further. The United Center sits in a rough area, so its not like the surrounding area has a lot of fans, theyre mostly dirt poor. Therefore it has no effect on how the Hawks sell tickets. Fans travel from way out in the burbs, and even from WI and IN.
Okay, thanks Steve-o.

Back to this thread, bring on the Cowboys! This is a statement game in many ways. A win over Dallas would make the Cardinals the clear favorite in the NFC. It would also give the Cards any tiebreakers should they finish with similar records as these other teams. That's why a win over the Eagles was so important. I think a lot of these other teams have more talent than the Cardinals. However, the Cards are hard to beat at home and I can't see them losing in Arizona in the playoffs.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:56 AM

2,620 posts, read 2,345,668 times
Well Romo is out today which should make things easier against the Cowboys as Brandon Weeden will get the start.

I'm not a Cards fan but I'll root for them as long as they aren't playing my team and I always watch them if they aren't playing at the same time as my team.

GO CARDS!!!

Old 11-02-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
Well Romo is out today which should make things easier against the Cowboys as Brandon Weeden will get the start.

I'm not a Cards fan but I'll root for them as long as they aren't playing my team and I always watch them if they aren't playing at the same time as my team.

GO CARDS!!!
CARDS fans come in all types. Glad to have your support! And if they do have a chance to compete for a Superbowl and go deep into the playoffs at home, this city is magical. It's a really fun time. I remember being here during the World Series and their last Superbowl run and the city comes together in a special way.

Weeden is a really good QB and has a much stronger arm and poise in the pocket than Romo. He is not as accurate, or as good at reading defenses but it's not like the Cowboys have some scrub as a second string QB. Weeden was a starter for the Browns and was a former first round pick.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:53 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,345,668 times
Quote:
CARDS fans come in all types. Glad to have your support! And if they do have a chance to compete for a Superbowl and go deep into the playoffs at home, this city is magical. It's a really fun time. I remember being here during the World Series and their last Superbowl run and the city comes together in a special way.

Weeden is a really good QB and has a much stronger arm and poise in the pocket than Romo. He is not as accurate, or as good at reading defenses but it's not like the Cowboys have some scrub as a second string QB. Weeden was a starter for the Browns and was a former first round pick.
Oh I know all about Weeden. I watch sports most of my free time. A blessing and a curse! He's got horrible accuracy and it's clear why the former first rounder won't ever be more than a backup QB. Cards made sure that stayed true today!

I can't wait for big games like that here. We've been here a few years and I can only imagine. I'll gladly shell out money for playoff baseball or football game tickets here in Phoenix and loudly cheer the Dbacks or Cards. Feeling the change in vibe of a city through sports is one of the coolest things a sports fan can ever witness. We might have that in the Cards this year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area