Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 12:09 AM

10 posts, read 11,972 times

Advertisements

I've been living by myself in a studio in Tempe in the Maple-Ash-Farmer-Wilson neighbourhood for over a year, and lease running out in December. Have got kind of bored of my studio, but not the locality. I am in love with this neighbourhood- the only complaint being lack of grocery stores around. I go to ASU at Tempe. I'm potentially considering other areas to live in, and am curious about downtown Phoenix. How is that place? I don't mind trying out using the light rail to commute to Tempe for a change. Also, looking for places only within Tempe or south-central Phoenix, no north Phoenix, Scottsdale, Chandler or Mesa.

A little about myself: male,PhD student at ASU and just turned 28. Do not have a car, and not a U.S. citizen, actually from Asia (been living here just over a year). Fluent in English, but can't speak Spanish. Mostly by myself and busy with work, otherwise like going to restaurants, bars and like walkable areas. Hobbies include playing violin, guitar and bass, music, books, tea and coffee, food, fountain pens, fragrances, a bit of watching films (Scorsese!), a bit of cooking, culture and a casual interest in history.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 12:25 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
Phoenix near Central & Roosevelt would be a good fit. The area has a nice selection of older building with affordable studio apartments and new buildings with pricier options. The Safeway on McDowell & 7th St is accessible by bus and there's a Fry's on Camelback that's accessible by rail.

You'll also find a variety of local restaurants, coffee shops and a used bookstore in the area.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:42 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,898 times
The area of Tempe you're living in now is much more vibrant than anything you'll find in Downtown Phoenix. That said, if you really want to make the move to the Downtown area there really is a wide variety of living options. There are very cheap apartments or even guest houses to top of the line apartment and condos. It would be convenient, but it is not an absolute necessity, to have a car living downtown. You can reach many of the stores that you may need on the light rail (there is a Fry's on 7th Avenue and Camelback, Super Target, Costco, and Walmart are on 19th Avenue and Bethany Home), the airport is accessible by light rail, and of course Tempe. If you have a bike, the Safeway that Boundarant referenced is very close.

There are numerous restaurants in the downtown area as well. There is an AMC theater in Downtown that is definitely not the AMC out there, but for some reason is never crowded, even for first run movies. You have quite a few coffee shops, First Fridays, Food Truck Fridays, Farmers Markets on either Saturday at the Phoenix Public Market, quite a few watering holes, the sports arenas, and plenty of history jammed all in that area. The Art Museum and the Heard Museum are very close on the light rail, as well.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:56 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,084,856 times
I lived on the corner of 13th and Ash for many years. If I was moving back to the valley, the Ash-Farmer neighborhood would be high on my list.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:11 AM

73 posts, read 152,005 times
First off- I have to say I disagree about Tempe being more vibrant. I love living near Roosevelt Row. Downtown is a work in progress, but it's definitely progressing!

I'm a huge advocate of the Garfield District (around 7th to 12th st and Roosevelt to Van Buren) but it is a little rough around the edges still. If you are looking for something more modern I would recommend taking a look at Roosevelt Point and Roosevelt Square. Check out craigslist and zillow too. Good luck!

Old 11-06-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Phoenix near Central & Roosevelt would be a good fit. The area has a nice selection of older building with affordable studio apartments and new buildings with pricier options. The Safeway on McDowell & 7th St is accessible by bus and there's a Fry's on Camelback that's accessible by rail.

You'll also find a variety of local restaurants, coffee shops and a used bookstore in the area.
Ok, thank you!

Old 11-06-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
The area of Tempe you're living in now is much more vibrant than anything you'll find in Downtown Phoenix. That said, if you really want to make the move to the Downtown area there really is a wide variety of living options. There are very cheap apartments or even guest houses to top of the line apartment and condos. It would be convenient, but it is not an absolute necessity, to have a car living downtown. You can reach many of the stores that you may need on the light rail (there is a Fry's on 7th Avenue and Camelback, Super Target, Costco, and Walmart are on 19th Avenue and Bethany Home), the airport is accessible by light rail, and of course Tempe. If you have a bike, the Safeway that Boundarant referenced is very close.

There are numerous restaurants in the downtown area as well. There is an AMC theater in Downtown that is definitely not the AMC out there, but for some reason is never crowded, even for first run movies. You have quite a few coffee shops, First Fridays, Food Truck Fridays, Farmers Markets on either Saturday at the Phoenix Public Market, quite a few watering holes, the sports arenas, and plenty of history jammed all in that area. The Art Museum and the Heard Museum are very close on the light rail, as well.
I love this neighbourhood, but am considering a change. Maybe I'd want to live in Phoenix for a while and then shift back later.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:38 PM

408 posts, read 581,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingitslola View Post
First off- I have to say I disagree about Tempe being more vibrant. I love living near Roosevelt Row. Downtown is a work in progress, but it's definitely progressing!

I'm a huge advocate of the Garfield District (around 7th to 12th st and Roosevelt to Van Buren) but it is a little rough around the edges still. If you are looking for something more modern I would recommend taking a look at Roosevelt Point and Roosevelt Square. Check out craigslist and zillow too. Good luck!

Don't let the secret out just yet, i like my rent rate LOL ,jk good post!

Old 11-06-2014, 08:18 PM

Just a (probably somewhat stupid) question- what's the best way to look for studios in downtown Phoenix area? Craigslist? Or some other website? Or visit in person and search for places/ads/rental offices ?

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area