Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:49 PM

18 posts, read 82,592 times

Advertisements

I am moving to be as close as possible to the new Mayo Clinic in Phoenix, so new in fact that the streets were not even on my map.

Does anyone have any feedback on the facility or experiences they can share.

Location? Is there Public Transportation there yet?

I know Mayo Clinics are rated as being some of the best, if one can find a way to afford it.

Or comments on other facilities?

Ambulance Service in general. Labs, lots like here in Vegas?

Suggestions on finding a Doctor?

Thanks all.
Oh, I believe the area I am moving to is called the Biltmore Area-not sure. It's on Dunlap, down a bit from Walmart and Costco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 08:54 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,448,732 times
There are two main Mayo facilities locally -- one in northeast Phoenix, the other in northeast Scottsdale. Neither is close to Dunlap Avenue, and Dunlap Avenue is definitely not part of the Biltmore Area. I think you may want to take another look at a map, figure out where you'll actually be, and then post again with the details. I'd like to help, but the geography in your post is so jumbled that I'm really not sure what part of town you're talking about.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:15 PM

18 posts, read 82,592 times
Sorry for the directions. The Apartment is on Dunlap Avenue, on my map looks fairly close to I-17? They were doing so much construction that day, it was hard to get my bearings.
I have spoken to both Clinics, and the one I apparently need to go to is the one close to the 101 on Mayo Blvd. The only Mayo Blvd I can find, and we got the directions from the Clinic itself via phone.
The other on East Shea Boulevard may need to be visited, but most of my contacts will be at the Mayo Blvd. Clinic.

Better?

Now to figure about public transportation-biggest issue for me as I don't have a car

Old 01-03-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enattitude View Post
Now to figure about public transportation-biggest issue for me as I don't have a car
Unfortunately, that's not going to be easy. If you're at I-17 & Dunlap, you'll be over 15 miles away from Mayo Hospital. Getting between the two points will require at least one, and maybe two bus transfers, and the routes that far north don't always have very frequent service. For the best information, contact Valley Metro, the local transit authority. I wish I had better news, but unfortunately when Mayo came to Phoenix, it made a questionable decision to put its facilities in sprawlish facilities on the edge of the metro area rather than in central locations that would be easily accessible via a variety of modes of transportation.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:34 AM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
If you can afford it or have insurance to cover it, then MAYO is the best place in the country to go to. They have the best doctors, best facilities, best care of any hospital or clinic.
My wife has been an MS patient for over 30 years with Mayo, and myself I'm having surgery there in 2 weeks.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:47 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,236 times
I live just 2 miles directly east of Mayo Clinic. I am at Mayo Blvd (yes, the street the clinic is on) and Scottsdale Rd.

I suspicion public transportation in this part of the valley will be a challenge.

I am fairly new to the area but I do know that I-17 is a ways west of Mayo clinic. There are many other apartments much closer. Like where I live. ;-) There are apartments all down Tatum. And there are complexes near where I am. And tons and tons and tons of brand new construction including apartments going on all in the area between Tatum and Scottsdale Rd. Google the Desert Ridge and Kierland areas and you will see where all these streets are and Mayo hospital.

Have you signed the lease on the apartment yet or have some other reason for being by I-17? If not, reconsider if your plan is to be close and have easy transportation to Mayo. If you ended up at any of the Desert Ridge area, you could even take a cab as it would only be about 2 miles if that. I am 2 miles the other direction--->on a cool day I could walk to Mayo Clinic if I was so inclined.

If you want some apartment names in this part of town, private message me.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:10 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
How often do you need to go the The Mayo Clinic? I thought you were working there, but I guess not. Like others have said, you will be a ways away from there and the bus system will be challenging.

I'm assuming that the reason you are choosing an apt near the 17 and Dunlap is price, so looking into Keirland or Desert Ridge won't help as they are pricey areas. I'd suggest looking at a couple of apts near the PV Mall. There are a couple that are still cheaper and at least it's closer to the Mayo Clinic.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I'd suggest looking at a couple of apts near the PV Mall. There are a couple that are still cheaper and at least it's closer to the Mayo Clinic.
I think this is an excellent suggestion. There's a direct bus connection (no transfer) between the PV Mall Transit Center and the Mayo Hospital via the Blue Line (http://www.valleymetro.org/bus/Bus_Routes/Blue_Line.htm - broken link). There are also a variety of stores, several banks, a nice park, and a good public library branch around the mall. You'd have some of your basic day-to-day needs within walking distance and a reasonable bus ride up to Mayo.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:12 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
I think this is an excellent suggestion. There's a direct bus connection (no transfer) between the PV Mall Transit Center and the Mayo Hospital via the Blue Line (http://www.valleymetro.org/bus/Bus_Routes/Blue_Line.htm - broken link). There are also a variety of stores, several banks, a nice park, and a good public library branch around the mall. You'd have some of your basic day-to-day needs within walking distance and a reasonable bus ride up to Mayo.
I'm glad you looked that up. I pretty much knew there was a bus that went up there, but didn't want to say it unless I knew for sure.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:58 PM

436 posts, read 809,662 times
I realize that the Mayo Clinic has a great public relations department, hence a wonderful reputation.

BUT- there are a lot of hospitals in Phoenix which can offer the dame care as the Mayo. JMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area