Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 09:15 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,448,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
Um, yeah, that's an understatement. Given the choice, who in their right minds would choose to ski in Flagstaff or Sunrise over anywhere in CO? Sheesh, I think I'd actually prefer Boyne ( in MI) to any skiing you can do in AZ. And they don't even have real mountains in MI.
Just making sure they know where they stand with the skiing thing. I dont want to get too far off-topic, but comparing PHX to Denver? Is that a joke? Denver is a great place to live, way more so than PHX IMO. But in the eyes of some Zonies, Denver sucks because it gets snow. The shallowness of some people astounds me.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:53 AM

919 posts, read 3,398,360 times
I grew up in Denver, 3rd grade through my twenties. In many ways its very similar to Phoenix in terms of sprawl. The raw numbers aren't quite the same, but anyone can see how the whole front range, from Pueblo to Ft. Collins/Greeley, is morphing into one massive metro area akin to SoCal, with Demver being L.A. It wasn't too long ago that one could drive for good stretches through agricultural areas between cities/towns along I-25. Now there's very little distinction. Places like Thornton & Chatfield were the far boonies and Brighton/Louisville/Highlands Ranch were mostly agro areas. It's no less of a concrete jungle, requiring an hour + drive to get into open spaces (more if I-70 is jammed) - and that's only if you head west (or east to see farms). North/South is becoming a 150 mile long series of freeway exit developments. I still like the place, but to act as though it's some sort of utopia compared to PHX is laughable... they are very similar in many respects.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:18 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,295,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Just making sure they know where they stand with the skiing thing. I dont want to get too far off-topic, but comparing PHX to Denver? Is that a joke? Denver is a great place to live, way more so than PHX IMO. But in the eyes of some Zonies, Denver sucks because it gets snow. The shallowness of some people astounds me.
I love going to the mile high city of Denver. Denver is a neat town.

I do like coming home to Phoenix though. In fact, one of the nice things about Phoenix is, it is a Hub for several airlines - and this allows me to go pretty much wherever I want to, including Europe, very easily.

The best of all worlds IMHO>

Old 01-11-2008, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 10,555 times
Based on growth, opportunity, weather and lifestyle {no brainer} Phoenix.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:23 PM

435 posts, read 1,576,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
I grew up in Denver, 3rd grade through my twenties. In many ways its very similar to Phoenix in terms of sprawl. The raw numbers aren't quite the same, but anyone can see how the whole front range, from Pueblo to Ft. Collins/Greeley, is morphing into one massive metro area akin to SoCal, with Demver being L.A. It wasn't too long ago that one could drive for good stretches through agricultural areas between cities/towns along I-25. Now there's very little distinction. Places like Thornton & Chatfield were the far boonies and Brighton/Louisville/Highlands Ranch were mostly agro areas. It's no less of a concrete jungle, requiring an hour + drive to get into open spaces (more if I-70 is jammed) - and that's only if you head west (or east to see farms). North/South is becoming a 150 mile long series of freeway exit developments. I still like the place, but to act as though it's some sort of utopia compared to PHX is laughable... they are very similar in many respects.
Denver certainly does have its issues with sprawl, no doubt about it. But the biggest difference to me is that it actually also does have a very nice, cosmopolitan, vibrant and unique downtown also. So if you're young, single and want the city life, or want to use reliable & cheap public transportation, and don't want to live in the suburbs & commute, that option in Denver is actually available and attractive.

Sprawl is an unfortunate reality all across this country, and the sad truth is that most large American cities anymore have a problem with it. Phoenix, however, is unique in that sprawl is the ONLY thing that exists. It's basically like living in the world's biggest, hottest suburb, with basically nothing at its core except a few tall office buildings, high rises and dilapidated neighborhoods. Nope, don't miss it a bit.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
Sprawl is an unfortunate reality all across this country, and the sad truth is that most large American cities anymore have a problem with it. Phoenix, however, is unique in that sprawl is the ONLY thing that exists. It's basically like living in the world's biggest, hottest suburb, with basically nothing at its core except a few tall office buildings, high rises and dilapidated neighborhoods. Nope, don't miss it a bit.
Wow! Clearly, you don't know "Phoenix" -

Old 01-11-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Wow! Clearly, you don't know "Phoenix" -
I think he hit it right on the head with his description. What do you disagree with? PHX is basically only sprawl, it is very hot, it does have only a few highrises, with delapidated neighborhoods surrounding it. Sure there are nice spots in PHX, but I think his description is right on the money.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,709 times
Been to Phoenix a few times, not the best place I've been, not the worst either. There sure are a lot of wacky obsessed Phoenix haters on this website.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I think he hit it right on the head with his description. What do you disagree with? PHX is basically only sprawl, it is very hot, it does have only a few highrises, with delapidated neighborhoods surrounding it. Sure there are nice spots in PHX, but I think his description is right on the money.
When was the last time you were in Phoenix?

A "few" high rises?? LOLOLOL

You are also aware (I hope) that height of buildings is regulated here for many reasons. You are also aware (I hope) that the final height hurtle was passed for the new series of high rises in down town?

You are aware of the major cultural centers spread throughout the Valley?

You are aware that the Valley is not simply made up of the City of Phoenix?

You are aware of the internationally recognized educational facilities in Phoenix?

You are aware ...

Well, you get the idea

Hot? Yes. So what? Is Denver cold? Yes - So what? Each to their own. You don't like hot - I don't like cold - big deal

Old 01-11-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
When was the last time you were in Phoenix?

A "few" high rises?? LOLOLOL

You are also aware (I hope) that height of buildings is regulated here for many reasons. You are also aware (I hope) that the final height hurtle was passed for the new series of high rises in down town?

You are aware of the major cultural centers spread throughout the Valley?

You are aware that the Valley is not simply made up of the City of Phoenix?

You are aware of the internationally recognized educational facilities in Phoenix?

You are aware ...

Well, you get the idea

Hot? Yes. So what? Is Denver cold? Yes - So what? Each to their own. You don't like hot - I don't like cold - big deal
Im in PHX every year, sometimes twice. Sometimes 3 times a year. My last trip was in June. And yes, there are only a "few" highrises. Im not really aware of all the cultural areas of the city, true, but all the many times Ive been there, I can tell you that there arent nearly enough to even warrant a blip on the radar. Its either whites or Hispanics, with a few blacks mixed in (and hardly any of those). And were not talking about the Valley, were talking about Phoenix, hence the thread title. I think Steve22 is right on the money regarding his observations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area