Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:54 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,522,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Detroit has a better scene for sports? Are you kidding? We're hosting the Super Bowl this month as well as the most attended PGA tournament and a major Marathon. Just hosted 2 bowl games, one of which is for the national championship every 4 years. We've got a spanking new NFL football stadium with retractable dome, a new hockey arena and fairly new basketball venue and yet another stadium for baseball, again with an open or shut roof. It's Jan. and we'll be packed for the next few months with tens of thousands of golfers, tennis players, spring training fans, spa goers, soccer tournament players, etc. We need not travel far to hike, bike, rock climb, etc. How is skydiving this time of year in Detroit? We're a short hop to the beach in Mexico or SoCal, or a day trip to ski resorts. When it's hot, we hit the rivers, lakes and pools.

Maybe you can share with us your expertise on what exactly Detroit holds over PHX when it comes to sports as either a spectator or participant. If you can muster a decent argument, I'll buy you a beer at Detroit native Alice Cooper's sport bar here in AZ.
I was referring to spectator sports in Detroit. All 4 of their professional teams have loyal followings especially the Red Wings in hockey. The Phoenix teams however have fairweather type fans that are only good for when the teams are winning, like the Suns the last few years.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:00 AM

4,564 posts, read 4,111,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I was referring to spectator sports in Detroit. All 4 of their professional teams have loyal followings especially the Red Wings in hockey. The Phoenix teams however have fairweather type fans that are only good for when the teams are winning, like the Suns the last few years.
Heck even the Lions, the Cardinals are almost as bad but don't have near the loyal following the Lions do.

Pistons.....200 consecutive sellouts.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:48 AM

203 posts, read 810,967 times
pistons home stadium is about an hour from detroit. that is why it sells out.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:10 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
I, too, thought this thread was a joke (troll). I can't imagine a worse place to be than in Detroit. There have been other discussions about Phoenix versus Austin or Denver, but Detroit? Phoenix is paradise by comparison from weather to jobs to crime to race relations, cleanliness, traffic; I could go on indefinitely here. Tell me you're not serious.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 01-08-2008 at 06:23 AM..

Old 01-08-2008, 06:55 AM

4,564 posts, read 4,111,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I, too, thought this thread was a joke (troll). I can't imagine a worse place to be than in Detroit. There have been other discussions about Phoenix versus Austin or Denver, but Detroit? Phoenix is paradise by comparison from weather to jobs to crime to race relations, cleanliness, traffic; I could go on indefinitely here. Tell me you're not serious.
For all reasons previously stated, I find that Phoenix is hell on earth for me. I AM serious Detroit would be 1000 percent better.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:26 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
For all reasons previously stated, I find that Phoenix is hell on earth for me. I AM serious Detroit would be 1000 percent better.
OK for you then and that is fine by me. I know there are others who would agree with you, but I think most people who look at it objectively would find the scales heavily weighted toward Phoenix. I could be wrong, but census data argues otherwise.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:33 AM

461 posts, read 1,810,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettearose View Post
I'm not from Detroit so I will concede that about the weather. I guess I happened to arrive there during bad times that gave me the impression it was colder than Chicago.

I personally prefer West Bloomfield to Scottsdale. I like the houses on the lake and the houses were more beautiful in my opinion. But I say this because I'm married and have a family. However, if I was a young single person, West Bloomfield doesn't offer anything. It's just a wealthy family area. Therea are much nicer bars and trendy restaurants and shopping in Paradise Valley and Scottsdale. I think that distinction does need to made. Most of the young single people in the Detroit area go to Birmngham and Ann Arbor. Likewise, I'm not trying to be argumentative but in terms of a night life, you really can't compare the scene in Detroit to the Phoenix area. Birmingham really can't compare to Scottsdale. I was shown a hotel in Birmingham were the Lakers supposedly stayed when they were there for the NBA finals and I was stunned because it looked like a very ordinary hotel that can be found in even places like Glendale, Tempe or north Phoenix.
West Bloomfield can be a nightmare because there are a lot of very rude and snobby people who live there (much like people accuse Scottsdale of having). I think you'll find that no matter where you live. These people are definitely the minorty though. I live in West Bloomfield, but I am neither rude nor wealthy. There is some nightlife, but WB is known more for its lakes, bike paths, parks, etc. However, no one really "hangs out" in Birmingham at night either. There's no real nightlife there either. The place most young, single people go is Royal Oak. Ann Arbor is a college town, so I wouldn't use that as a comparison either. The hotel the Lakers stayed at in Birmingham is called the Townsend and it is BEAUTIFUL. Not a large, trendy resort, as it is in the middle of downtown Birmgham, but very classy and swanky. I have met many celebrities there. Like I said, both Scottsdale and West Bloomfield have much to offer, but they are very, very different types of cities. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Actually, as far as wealth goes, Bloomfield Hills and Birmingham would top WB any day. And, if you're looking for trendy bars and shopping, downtown B'ham is where you'd go.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:30 AM

919 posts, read 3,398,360 times
Loyalty is enhanced by being the only game in town and that your fanbase is too chunky to do much else. And when your city only graduates 21.7% of high school students (worst in nation), ranks #1 in crime for large cities, has the highest unemployment and poverty levels, and was named by Forbes/MSNBC as the worst city to find a job, then one can see how anything remotely positive would be supported. There's also an exodus (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071227/METRO/712270389 - broken link) of those who can leave, which also probably helps make the remnants more passionate, as you so claim.

Bash AZ all you want. We'll keep the light on for those experiencing Michigration (broken link).

Old 01-08-2008, 08:52 AM

461 posts, read 1,810,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Detroit has a better scene for sports? Are you kidding? We're hosting the Super Bowl this month as well as the most attended PGA tournament and a major Marathon. Just hosted 2 bowl games, one of which is for the national championship every 4 years. We've got a spanking new NFL football stadium with retractable dome, a new hockey arena and fairly new basketball venue and yet another stadium for baseball, again with an open or shut roof. It's Jan. and we'll be packed for the next few months with tens of thousands of golfers, tennis players, spring training fans, spa goers, soccer tournament players, etc. We need not travel far to hike, bike, rock climb, etc. How is skydiving this time of year in Detroit? We're a short hop to the beach in Mexico or SoCal, or a day trip to ski resorts. When it's hot, we hit the rivers, lakes and pools.

Maybe you can share with us your expertise on what exactly Detroit holds over PHX when it comes to sports as either a spectator or participant. If you can muster a decent argument, I'll buy you a beer at Detroit native Alice Cooper's sport bar here in AZ.
First of all, you're comparing more of the State of AZ to Detroit. So to be fair, let's compare Michigan to AZ. Duh, the Super Bowl was hosted by Detroit last year. Detroit Lions and Tigers have brand new stadiums. The Red Wings are probably the best hockey team there is (although Steve-O will totally disagree, but we've brought home Stanley more times than the BlackHawks will ever dream of). Oakland Hills Country Club (in Bloomfield Hills) will be hosting the 2008 PGA Championship and of course the Buick Open is held in Flint, MI every year. A short hop to a beach? You call hours a short hop? We are within WALKING distance of beaches. In fact, I have one right across the street from my house. Day trip for skiing? Some in Michigan are only an hour away. I'm about 15 minutes, although you'd never catch me skiing or doing anything outside in the winter. Biking? Michigan probably has more bike/hike trails throughout the state than AZ does and no one needs to travel. I can ride my bike to bike trails that are in beautiful nature areas, passing lakes and parks, etc. What rivers and lakes do you have in Phoenix that are within walking distance?

I will not defend the City of Detroit, as it is a complete sewer hole, but you're actually comparing AZ to MI and that's not what's being compared on this post - It's Detroit v Phoenix and with that there is no comparison - Phoenix wins hands down. So please DO NOT start bashing on the entire State of Michigan! Keep this a comparison of Detroit to Phoenix as the OP intended.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:10 AM

435 posts, read 1,576,687 times
Detroit vs. Phoenix?... Hmmm, would you prefer death by hanging, or firing squad? Having lived for extensive periods of my life in both places, I have to say that given the choice, I'd choose an emphatic neither. Think I'll stay in Colorado, thanks.

Although I will say that there's one thing they have in abundance in MI that will become a valuable commodity in the near future, one which may eventually reverse the current demographic shift to the southwest: fresh water. This article just posted in the Detroit News yesterday is rather topical, and worth a look:

A nation's growing thirst threatens a Great Lakes water war (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080107/METRO/801070366/-1/ARCHIVE - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area