Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 09:28 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times

Advertisements

I visited Las Vegas three times and I was surprised how drawn I was to the desert, mountains and low cost of living. Las Vegas job market is terrible so I am exploring AZ as a possible option. I have noticed that it is possible to get a nice one bedroom apartment for around $800. I was wondering if it is in a nice safe area close to amenities. I am not really sure where to start. I am a 40 year old single, childless, black female white collar professional. I am a seeking a safe slower pace of life with beautiful views of the mountains and close to amenities.

Initially, I thought of Gilbert as a possible option but it seems to be geared towards families. I keep reading Tempe may be a good option for me. I actually just applied to a job in Tempe, AZ.

Is there a place that you would recommend? I would like to visit but I have no idea where to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 09:33 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
You are going to hear it over and over: this is a huge city in area and living close to where you work is a good idea. If you do get the job in Tempe I would suggest you consider the Ahwahtukee neighborhood. It has all of what you mentioned as important to you. Do a search on Ahwahtukee. One of the ZIPs there is 85044 - I used to live in that one, but there are a couple more as well.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:06 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,979,340 times
I agree with the above I would look at either Tempe itself or Ahwatukee (Phoenix neighborhood that borders Tempe nestled in the foothills of South Mountain). The South Mountain area along Baseline Rd might appeal to you as well. It's a super easy drive into Tempe and that's where a lot of African American culture and amenities can be found in the Phoenix area such as hair care stores, salons, soul food restaurants, predominately African American churches, jazz festivals, etc. Tempe/South Mountain/Ahwatukee area is a great area as it's centrally located and has plenty of things to do.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the responses. Please note I am not interested in living in a predominately AA neighborhood. I mentioned my race because I did not want to receive recommendations for closed communities.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:08 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
My suggestion; come and see.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:44 PM

I need an action plan. I have taken a stab in the dark and went to cities where I saw confederate flags hanging in the front of the house. It was not a great experience.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:50 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I need an action plan. I have taken a stab in the dark and went to cities where I saw confederate flags hanging in the front of the house. It was not a great experience.
What on earth are you talking about?

Old 11-29-2013, 03:53 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
It's not like that here.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
What on earth are you talking about?
My experience with visiting places that I am not familiar with.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:19 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
According to the 2012 census, of the 1.488 million people living in Phoenix, only 6.5% self-identified as black or African-American. I don't think that's enough people to create their own neighborhoods. As far as I can tell, gainfully employed people willing to make a positive contribution to the city are welcome everywhere in Phoenix no matter what they look like.

I join people who encourage you not to worry about an apartment until you know where you would work. There are plenty of apartments in safe and attractive areas with good amenities in the price range you mention. A good goal would be finding one that gets you a reasonable commute from your employment. Some of the suburbs are definitely family-oriented and some are retiree-oriented, so if getting a social life is a priority, I'd avoid those. If Tempe turns out to be your place of employment, there are lots of nice places to live within commuting distance. It is close to both Old Town Scottsdale with plenty of entertainment options and Chandler with mega-shopping attractions.

If you find yourself attracted to desert life and want an affordable place to live in a major metropolis, Phoenix might well be the answer for you. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area