Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 10:12 AM

53 posts, read 89,435 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I moved to Phoenix last year but have been working almost every day, so I haven't been able to get out much and explore. That being said, my mom (who has never been to Arizona) is coming to visit and I would like to take her on a scenic drive or two, just something fun and cheap to do that can let an out-of-towner see what the desert looks like, lol.

Are there any recommendations for "scenic drives" close to Phoenix? (Yes, I know I could google this but I much prefer getting recommendations this way; I like to hear what others have to say).

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 10:27 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,977,587 times
You could also drive out to Wickenburg and then drive up through the Spar mountains and into Prescott...that is a nice drive but don't do it in Winter if the temperature is going to be low. Also you could head up the 17 and turn off and go to Sedona, then up through Sedona to the Flagstaff area. Just a few ideas. For all all day trip go Wickenburg->Prescott->Jerome->Sedona->Flagstaff and then come back down the I-17 from Flagstaff. That would be a long day but you can see a lot of nice country. If you wanted to spend two days you could spend the night in Flagstaff or Sedona and then head east beyond Flagstaff to the meteor crater and the petrified forest, both are pretty cool, then head home through Showlow and Payson. That would be a nice loop through the northern part of the state. Have fun and check the weather before leaving as it does snow in the high desert.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:29 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
The Apache Trail is awesome. You could either take it to just Tortilla Flat and back or all the way to Roosevelt Dam for the full experience. It's a great drive.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:33 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,630,502 times
A quick drive that I enjoy is taking Ellsworth Road north through Usery Pass, turning right on the Bush Highway and taking the Beeline Highway back. Another choice would be to take the Apache Trail/Arizona 88 past Apache Junction and then taking US 60 in Globe west back into the Valley. This route does involve taking a dirt road, so keep that in mind. Even taking the Carefree Highway/Arizona 74 between I-17 and US 60 can be a nice escape into the desert.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:35 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,141,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The Apache Trail is awesome. You could either take it to just Tortilla Flat and back or all the way to Roosevelt Dam for the full experience. It's a great drive.
I suggest this one as well. Just know that not far pass Tortilla Flats it turns into a non-paved road and get be very bumpy for a car. It's worth it in my opinion though.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:37 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,082,449 times
I used to like to take quick, scenic jaunts in Phoenix all the time when I lived there.

My favorites:

Drive to the top of South Mountain (Dobbins Overlook and TV towers). There are some stunning views up there of the whole Phoenix metro and it's a fun, twisty little drive, too. Just go down Central Ave. as for south as you can go and you'll run into South Mountain Park. It's worth checking out Mystery Castle nearby, as well. Est. time: 35 minutes each way (from central Phoenix)

The road to Tortilla Flat. Just take the 60 east to Apache Junction and then north on 88 which will turn into Apache Trail. Very twisty and you'll go by Canyon Lake and a lot of lookout points on the way there. Keep going and you'll hit Tortilla Flat, which was an old stagecoach stop back in the day. Now there's a couple bars, restaurants, and gift shops there you can stop at before heading back (or keep going, although I'd highly recommend an off-road vehicle if you're going to do that!). Est time: 1 hour 10 min each way (from central Phoenix).

Beeline Highway to Payson. Just head north up 87 from Mesa (you can get off from the north 202 loop). You'll go past Fountain Hills (sometimes can see the fountain shooting up from a distance) then up through the mountains where you'll see the ecosystem and scenery change from desert to high desert to finally pine trees. Payson has a bit to do and feels more like a little Colorado town that a place in Arizona. Est. Time: 1 hour 35 min each way (from central Phoenix).

Other suggestions:

Lake Pleasant
Prescott (longer)
Sedona (longer still)

Old 02-12-2015, 10:44 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
I suggest this one as well. Just know that not far pass Tortilla Flats it turns into a non-paved road and get be very bumpy for a car. It's worth it in my opinion though.

Bumpy is an understatement. We were there about a month ago and tried to drive the unpaved part. Had to turn around almost right away, it was far worse than just bumpy. You would need a dune buggy or some sort of ATV.

Tortilla Flat was fun to see, but not worth the drive if you plan to eat there or spend much time. An ice cream shop, a gift shop, and a restaurant/bar (I was hungry but we passed on eating there). It's not a real destination IMO.

We stopped at the old mining town/ghost town and found that to be pretty interesting.

The drive up there is beautiful, though!

Old 02-12-2015, 10:48 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Bumpy is an understatement. We were there about a month ago and tried to drive the unpaved part. Had to turn around almost right away, it was far worse than just bumpy. You would need a dune buggy or some sort of ATV.

Tortilla Flat was fun to see, but not worth the drive if you plan to eat there or spend much time. An ice cream shop, a gift shop, and a restaurant/bar (I was hungry but we passed on eating there). It's not a real destination IMO.

We stopped at the old mining town/ghost town and found that to be pretty interesting.

The drive up there is beautiful, though!
That wasn't the case for us at all. I guess it depends on the recent weather because we did the whole drive in a regular sedan without any issues.

The restaurant is definitely not worth the drive by itself. The drive is worth the drive.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:58 AM

75 posts, read 213,006 times
Is the South Mountain road open yet?

Old 02-12-2015, 11:04 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,141,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanks1 View Post
Is the South Mountain road open yet?
Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area