Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 10:41 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,613,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Good move by Ducey. Douglas will most likely be recalled. The my point still stands, she was elected only because of that (R).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 10:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Good move by Ducey. Douglas will most likely be recalled. The my point still stands, she was elected only because of that (R).
Absolutely. She's a complete nutbag but was good at parroting the Tea Party's sound bites. A blind person could see that David Garcia was the far better fit.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:48 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,632,831 times
Good ole Libertarian Arizona....

Arizona Senate committee approves abortion restrictions

Old 02-12-2015, 10:51 AM

241 posts, read 387,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
this stuff bugs the crap outta me...

Old 02-12-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassfeeder View Post
this stuff bugs the crap outta me...
Ditto. I'm beginning to realize that we are FAR less "live and let live" than we claim to be. It seems Arizonans actually like government intrusion as long as it isn't related to guns. We seem hypocritical.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:34 AM

7,328 posts, read 12,366,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Phoenix and Flag are Liberal, the rest of Arizona is conservative. And when I say conservative, I mean they are only concerned with guns and little else. The gun fixation is so peculiar.
Phoenix isn't that liberal; in fact they are almost evenly split (purple). Tucson is bluer (more liberal) than Phoenix. In the Phoenix area, Tempe is light blue. Chandler, Scottsdale, and Glendale are pink (moderately conservative), while Gilbert, Mesa, and Peoria are red (conservative).

Old 02-12-2015, 12:56 PM

480 posts, read 846,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Wow, I'm beginning to wonder if I need to start asterisking everything that the Arizona Republic publishes.

The bill is not about abortion restrictions. It's about public funding for abortions, and it requires doctors to perform abortions to have admitting privileges at local hospitals.

So basically anyone in favor of public funding for abortions will be opposed. I'm fine with abortion as a right, so I don't see that as the issue. However, how does that relate to the question of public funding for abortion? I'm not asking this as a religious conservative (I'm not especially religious, and I'm far more libertarian than conservative), but out of real curiosity.

I fundamentally believe that rights are permission to act, not a guarantee that government will fund the act. An African-American family could exercise their right to buy a house under the Fair Housing Act. They have a right to buy the house, so it's reasonable for the State to protect that right. However, as a society, should we buy the house for them? A person with disabilities has the right to equal access to services under the ADA. However, as a society, should we buy those services for them? If so, why? If not, why not?

Or speaking to the issue of public funding for abortion, many people are fundamentally opposed to abortion (for personal reasons, religious reasons, social reasons, parental concerns, or what have you). However, they're willing to tolerate abortions as long as they're not paying for it. Why is public funding for abortion considered a reasonable thing?

The admitting privileges clause is designed to ensure that women who encounter problems with an abortion procedure can be treated by the doctor who created the problem. It seems to me that this ensures women are treated like human beings getting a medical procedure, not just dumped on emergency rooms if a problem arises. Some might claim that's a de facto restriction on abortion rights, but in the same way that I'm in favor of reasonable restrictions on gun rights (I support background checks, registration, and other "limitations" on gun ownership - the air quotes are because I don't see those as dramatically limiting access to firearms), I am in favor of making abortion services into a medical procedure that is handled professionally.

I'd be surprised if anyone seriously disagreed with the idea that, as a medical procedure, it should be handled by someone who can also handle potentially life-threatening side effects. But I'm open to instruction here. Why would someone be opposed to that?

Old 02-12-2015, 01:17 PM

Cathi Herrod is behind it. Enough said. Now that gay marriage is legal in AZ, the bible thumpers need something to meddle with. The whole giving, helping and charity thing isn't time consuming enough.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:44 PM

480 posts, read 846,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Cathi Herrod is behind it. Enough said. Now that gay marriage is legal in AZ, the bible thumpers need something to meddle with. The whole giving, helping and charity thing isn't time consuming enough.
In my opinion, ad hominem politics are part of the problem we face as a society. I don't really care who's behind a sensible piece of legislation. If a law makes something legal or illegal, the better question is whether it's reasonable for our culture, lawful within the Constitution, and in the public good.

I like Richard Petty. If he sponsored a law to require a full and complete stop at every corner and crosswalk, regardless of whether there's a traffic signal or stop sign, I'd be opposed on reasonableness.

I like Tina Fey. If she sponsored a law to require that every person must gather in public once a year and sing a song praising the government, I'd be opposed on culture and lawfulness.

I like Toby Keith. If he sponsored a law saying that everyone needs to eat Slim Jims and Velveeta twice a day, I'd be opposed on so many levels that I'd run out of words.

We're also terribly polarized. Let's say President Obama says the Sun has risen in the east. Half of the country would look out the window before they agreed. The other half would claim anyone who looked out the window is racist.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:49 PM

Cathi Herrod is behind it and it's a garbage piece of legislation. Better? The bill would prohibit any insurance policy purchased through the healthcare exchange from covering an abortion procedure. We're not talking about Medicaid here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area